My new shop / junk hole

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm just saying I think the price is going to come down or technology will improve at a rate greater than the savings of a more efficient light bulb.. I definitely will change over in a few years, I'm particularly sick of having having a 4ft fluorescent tube burn out the day after I fixed the last batch that burnt out...

Nesikep":1jhhmya2 said:
I'm just saying I think the price is going to come down or technology will improve at a rate greater than the savings of a more efficient light bulb.. I definitely will change over in a few years, I'm particularly sick of having having a 4ft fluorescent tube burn out the day after I fixed the last batch that burnt out...

I agree it may go down but may be years before happening... I tell ya Nesi buy one and you will love them whenever others burn out of the fluorescent bulbs I will be replacing with the led's. 50,000 hours of lights vs ballasts going need replacing and bulbs plus electric savings you are money ahead to switch over they are pricey up front but one 4' led takes the place of 2 4' fluorescents

Never had trouble with ballasts surprisingly.. 20 years and the ballasts were used when we installed them... A few of the tubes are still from then as well.

I'm debating if I want to go with a "tube" style LED or one of the beehive styles.. we get a lot of dust and ash in the shop and it really hurts the reflectivity, unless you feel like climbing up there to clean them every 3 months, which doesn't sound like any more fun than replacing tubes.. I'll try and find a link to the ones I was looking at.

I've been following along, but nobody has mentioned any particular source or brand. I've found plenty of options on Amazon....some cheap, some not cheap. I'm thinking of ordering a couple to test before I splurge on a big order, and just wondered if any of you had a specific recommendation?

As far as household bulbs I buy what ever is on sale at the box store. 6 or 8pk , my light bill was the cheapest its ever been in 17 yrs I've lived in this house. I realize its a culmination of things of milder weather no AC or Heat having to be run . last kid moved out in November but I replaced a water heater last yr and started upgrading the lights. There was a time that I expected a 500.00 light bill in the summer so when it was 150.00 last month I was tickled.

I used some high bay w/T5 bulbs in the shop I am remodeling. They are a bit expensive but they say they last 30K hours. The shop was only wired for four fixtures and I wanted it bright and they were the brightest I could find. Cheaper than LED's and brighter. I spent about $100 a piece for the fixture and 4 bulbs.
An electrician that I showed them to said they were a good choice but I might have some dirt dobber problems with them.
You can look at them at Home Depot but they might be cheaper elsewhere.

I ordered a pair of 4' two bulb LEDs on Amazon to test out before I take the big plunge. I'll let you know how I like them when they get here.

Latest posts