My new "herd"

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater":2tv9i8cn said:
Great starter herd. I love red brangus. They're yours to do what you want with but I'd go right back red brangus on them and try for a whole pasture full and then add in a bit of hereford.
I wonder what the price difference would be from Beefmaster to RB? :). Just out of curiousity what did those three girls cost?

Wow! Thanks for all of the compliments regarding my girls...looks like I need to get them vaccinated as quickly as possible. Being new to this, I'm not sure just how big these heifers should be at the shoulder. They are about 46-48" tall, much shorter than the black cows on my neighbor's property. They are as tall as the fence which is 5 feet tall.

I wasn't sure if crossing with a Beefmaster bull would be better than going back with a Red Brangus. I'm guessing the Beefmaster might be a crap shoot as far as color is concerned, even if the bull is red. I don't want to lose the red color on any heifer calves.

Regarding what I paid for them...I had to search for quite some time to find a seller that would sell just 3 heifers; most everybody had a 'all or none' approach. I'm guessing I probably paid a little more than market price for open heifers, but I'm happy with the deal that was made and the quality of the heifers.
Regards,
Don

The early part of the building stage is the time to lay down cash,and start from quality stock with proven genetics. It gives you a foundation to build from. AI to proven Bulls, and go from there.

Welcome! Very nice heifers. If you want more like them, then I would breed them back to Red Brangus, at least until you have the number of cows you want.

The heifers look better on your place than their home herd. Good luck to you and them.

Know your market for your product and you should be just fine.

Nice girls for sure, but but a closed herd dont mean or -shouldnt- unvaccinated....to many deer, coyotes and buzzards....buzzard droppings from one infected farm,sent special delivery............. to you'r...

Rockdale":3pho6e83 said:
Wow! Thanks for all of the compliments regarding my girls...looks like I need to get them vaccinated as quickly as possible. Being new to this, I'm not sure just how big these heifers should be at the shoulder. They are about 46-48" tall, much shorter than the black cows on my neighbor's property. They are as tall as the fence which is 5 feet tall.

I wasn't sure if crossing with a Beefmaster bull would be better than going back with a Red Brangus. I'm guessing the Beefmaster might be a crap shoot as far as color is concerned, even if the bull is red. I don't want to lose the red color on any heifer calves.

Regarding what I paid for them...
I had to search for quite some time to find a seller that would sell just 3 heifers; most everybody had a 'all or none' approach.
I'm guessing I probably paid a little more than market price for open heifers, but I'm happy with the deal that was made and the quality of the heifers.
Regards,
Don

Don I understand how hard it is to find someone who will sell less than ten head. I've been looking and running into the same problem. I expected to pay a little more for buying only a few head. But when they would ask 500 a hd or more even for gate cut I would just move on. I finally found a couple that sold me a few nice Red Angus heifers. Still looking for two more. One seller that told me I had to take at least ten has is now offering any number as he can't get any buyers. I decided after he refused to do business with me to start with that I won't buy from him now. Nice heifers. They should do well for you. We are retaining a heifer out of a Brangus cow. She shows more Bramaha than she really is. Her mother was an excellent cow. Hope the heifer is as good.

creekdrive":siahxyir said:
Welcome! Very nice heifers. If you want more like them, then I would breed them back to Red Brangus, at least until you have the number of cows you want.

Well, if that doesn't fill the wheelbarrow with common sense, nothing else will...I'm with you! That's the plan!
Regards,
Don

Here's a shot of the tank on the front of my property. The girls like to hang out here in the afternoon, waiting to see if I'm going to show up with some range cubes for them.

Regards,
Don

I love beefmasters and I have some, but I would sure follow the posted advice and breed those RA heifers to RA bull or AI to one if you can find someone to do it around Milam County.
CT member 1982vett is close to you over in Burleson County and might know someone.

Rockdale":24h3jhip said:
I think the comments of red brangus are the way to go, but I just wanted to clarify for the future that if the beef master bull is solid red bred to solid red cows, the resulting calf will be red. Once you get into spots/white markings, that's when things become a crapshoot. Unless there is an issue with diluter genes in beef masters that I don't know about?

greybeard":1ngzjwfa said:
I love beefmasters and I have some, but I would sure follow the posted advice and breed those RA heifers to RA bull or AI to one if you can find someone to do it around Milam County.
CT member 1982vett is close to you over in Burleson County and might know someone.

Greybeard, thanks for the referral. One note however; my heifers are Red Brangus, not Red Angus. I'll reach out to 1982vett to see if he knows someone in my area with Red Brangus.

Regards,
Don

Rockdale":1ewu1vhf said:
greybeard":1ewu1vhf said:

Greybeard, thanks for the referral. One note however; my heifers are Red Brangus, not Red Angus. I'll reach out to 1982vett to see if he knows someone in my area with Red Brangus.

Regards,
Don
I knew that--dunno why I typed RA.

shortybreeder":3nmdkza3 said:
Rockdale":3nmdkza3 said:
I think the comments of red brangus are the way to go, but I just wanted to clarify for the future that if the beef master bull is solid red bred to solid red cows, the resulting calf will be red. Once you get into spots/white markings, that's when things become a crapshoot. Unless there is an issue with diluter genes in beef masters that I don't know about?
I'm not so sure about that. Should hold true, but in 100% real honest to gawd beefmasters, nothing seems to hold true in regards to color.

Learned a lesson regarding genetics. Started synchronization on my girls for artificial insemination and I guess it was too much for my neighbor's bull. He jumped a 5 foot tall fence and got 3 of my girls. Care to guess what type of bull he was? Sold one while she was pregnant (dropped a bull calf) and I got two heifer calves out of it.
Black-calves.jpg
Black-calves-2.jpg

Live and learn. The bull is now gone so my girls are safe.
Regards,
Don

Reminded me of when I first got started and had my bull pulled to synch the cows. Called the neighbor and complained that his bull had gotten in and was breeding my cows.. he listened to my gripes and then said, "well, your welcome". 😆

Nice to see a post brought up from a while back!
I dont see anything wrong with those heifers.
Thank your neighbor! Lol

How did u get along with your past calves btw? Are they still in the herd?

Other than the neighbor's bull wreaking havoc, I've had pretty good luck with my herd. Had a rash of bull calves and managed to sell 4 of them intact to go to work in new pastures. Here are a few photos of some of the heifers that I kept and one additional momma cow I purchased. The heifer calves (1801 & 1806) were inseminated in June. 1803 is a steer that's just about ready for the freezer. Photos were taken last winter.

Regards,
Don

Latest posts