My new "herd"

Help Support CattleToday:

Rockdale

Reaction score
Newbie here...I like red, I like ear and I like leather, so I purchased the 3 Red Brangus heifers in the photo. First photo is the 3 girls at the seller's place before loading them into the trailer.

Here's a photo of their sire.

Here's a couple of shots of the girls settled into their new home...

Based on the seller's description, they should be about 20 months old now. I'm thinking of breeding them (possibly AI) to a Beefmaster bull. Any bull calves will be cut, and fed out for freezer stock. I already have a list of friends wanting to buy the meat. Heifers will be kept until I get the herd built up.

Regards,
Don

Congratulations on your new cattle!! Looks nice. I can't wait to get started up again. Beefmaster is my second favorite breed ( Brahman being the first) would make a nice choice to breed them too, however Hereford maybe better by them being Red Baldies you can sell them really quick if you choose to do so. I would just be concerned about the loose skin and too much ear with the Beefmasters and the Red Brangus cross if you sold at the barn. But since you're eating the steers you should be ok. Either way best of luck.

red - check
ear - check
leather - check.

I like a person who knows what they want!! Good luck. :welcome:

angus9259":2ih3fxls said:
red - check
ear - check
leather - check.

I like a person who knows what they want!! Good luck. :welcome:

:lol2: :lol2: For once, I got it right! Thanks!

Forgot to add this in the initial post...I purchased from a man that had a 'closed' herd, so these girls have never been vaccinated. At the time of purchase, I wasn't too concerned as none of my neighbors had any cattle. Wouldn't you know, I now have some of those black cows everybody seems to love on two sides of my property now. I guess I'd better get busy building some pens with an alleyway and chute so I can get them medicated. Is there a standard set of vaccinations they should have to protect them?

Thanks,
Don

You got one out of 3 in my books.. -RED.. that said, my country extra leather and ear are just going to get frozen off.

I think they look really good, hopefully they perform as well

Welcome to CT!

Rockdale":3a2zriyc said:
Forgot to add this in the initial post...I purchased from a man that had a 'closed' herd, so these girls have never been vaccinated. At the time of purchase, I wasn't too concerned as none of my neighbors had any cattle. Wouldn't you know, I now have some of those black cows everybody seems to love on two sides of my property now. I guess I'd better get busy building some pens with an alleyway and chute so I can get them medicated. Is there a standard set of vaccinations they should have to protect them?

Thanks,
Don

Closed herd is good. Vaccinations are important regardless. Deer and other animals will bring in stuff you don't want. Some of the viruses may actually just plain be in the ground waiting for a host.... Ecoli and other bacteria causing scours in calves will be there too regardless of herd closure too.

I think blackleg can be in the ground and cattle can catch it whether a herd is closed or not and I think deer etc can bring lepto into your herd whether it is closed or not. So I would definitely get Vaccinations nothing against the guy you bought them from.

I've commented once on this thread already,but I gotta say that's a nice start right there. That's three nice heifers.

Pretty girls.

Never did understand crossing with Brahman to help them cool off, and then going black to make them hotter.

u4411clb":13kegpjs said:
I think blackleg can be in the ground and cattle can catch it whether a herd is closed or not and I think deer etc can bring lepto into your herd whether it is closed or not. So I would definitely get Vaccinations nothing against the guy you bought them from.

My thoughts too
Blackleg is in the ground and the spores can be picked up grazing. It will kill them quick
Very nice heifers your off to a good start

Great starter herd. I love red brangus. They're yours to do what you want with but I'd go right back red brangus on them and try for a whole pasture full and then add in a bit of hereford.

Latest posts