my new herd bull

Help Support CattleToday:

plumber_greg

Reaction score
As some may know, last year I sold my 2,3, and four year olds cuz' I felt the frame size of my cows was becoming too big.
Well, this year I had the ultimate breed changer bull to correct my problem. He measured probably 18" at the top of his sholder and weighed maybe 30 lbs. I was gonna' knock him in the head and put a twin on the cow, but when I got home from work he was running and bucking, and I just decided to let him live and turn him into a herd bull to get my frame size down.
Tell me what you think, I know he's good, but I have thick skin if anyone else doesn't like him. I just wish the pics did him justice.
232323232%7Ffp63598%3Enu%3D4%3B89%3E%3B%3A7%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3C2664496347nu0mrj

this is him next to the twins I was gonna' put on his mamma
232323232%7Ffp7346%3B%3Enu%3D4%3B89%3E%3B%3A7%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3C265%3C%3A%3B7347nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63548%3Evq%3D4%3B89%3E%3B%3A7%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3C265%3C%3A%3B8347vq0mrj

ohiosteve":3qcma2ca said:
I like him. Looks like he has an enormous cranium!
a sign of dwafism that bulbous noggin.... though i am decreasing the frame on my cow herd,, i dont want to incorporate a enlarged head

He seems genetically predisposed to soil his own tail. His sheath also seems a bit loose. I hate to be overly critical, but I think we really need to start raising the bar for the good of the industry.

Yeah I haven't had any experience with dwarfism or similar problems but when I saw that hea and noticed he looks about half the size of the twin, alarm bells started ringing.

angus9259":iry83ra2 said:
He seems genetically predisposed to soil his own tail. His sheath also seems a bit loose. I hate to be overly critical, but I think we really need to start raising the bar for the good of the industry.
Hogwash, I'd know that solid phenotype anywhere, he's definitely of Demetrious bloodlines.

I'll start the bidding at $2.00

He will knock the horns oh of the calves and they can go on that CAB gravy train :cowboy: Being a trend setter in frame reduction will put him over the top in any bull sale. The only thing that bothers me is his scrotal may be so large that it will make him look bowlegged in the show ring!!!!!!!!!

Very bullish head and the beginnings of a great crest. Good depth and great topline. Looks like a curvebender for sure. Should help you moderate bone, muscle, and growth in one generation.

wbvs58":32wn841p said:
Whenever I see weeds like that, the first thing that comes to mind is a PI.
Ken
I personally haven't had any pesty cattle but I guy a know showed me some pesty calves and you couldn't tell them from the healthy calves! Well he even had some non pesty that you would swear were infected.
He called the authorities to ask what the protocols were for dealing with them and was told there were none so he suggested he would send them to the local sale. Guy at the other end me the phone nearly dropped it and got really concerned, thing is I wonder how many go through the yards unnoticed each week?

OME, some PI calves are very obviously differant to the others, some can't be picked. I have had a PI that looked just like that one of Gregs, when born he could have walked under the bellies of the other calves. AS far as them going through the saleyards, yep the PI's go through all the regular channels that any other calf would, whether known PI or not. That is why feedlots pay a premium for cattle that have been backgrounded and been vaccinated for Pesti. Other than breeding loss, the main economic loss with Pesti is immunosuppression of cattle on feed.
Ken

Guess I don't know what Pesti is. Would you explain to me?
Calves like this is why I shudder whenever a small producer says he's keeping a really good looking bull out of his best cow. He may know the parentage of the bull, but not the cow. The cow could have something like this in her bloodline and he will scatter it throughout the herd saving heifers. #R85 has had 5 good calves, and now this one. Maybe 4, she is an R.
One out of 100 like this is too many, one out of 10-15 is a disaster. She may never have another, she will get the chance to improve on this years calf. gs

Greg you did a pretty good job of taking some of us for a ride there!
I found it hard but not impossible to think anyone would seriously consider using a calf like that.

pestivirus is another name for BVD

I don't know that this one is quite as good as yours; maybe a harder keeper because his muzzle's wide enough to eat plenty.
http://ranchers.net/photopost/showfull.php?photo=5235
Now I'm wondering... that little guy went for veal but the following year his dam had a little heifer and I kept her, she calved once then came up open. The heifer was 'okay' but also born pretty small. Certainly not as good as her mother.

Update on my herd bull. Went ahead and cut him, it was a hard decision. Sold him with 3 cull cows Friday at a local auction.
My wannabe' herd bull weighed a whopping 300lbs., weaned for 30 days. Can't hardly believe it, but he brought .59 cents per pound, for a total of $178.00. If I had known he'd sell that cheap, I would have been breeding heifers with him instead of selling him. As a side note, what in the hell is the buyer gonna' do with a calf like that? gs

Latest posts