My new helper

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":3kpl4jq7 said:
Eli seems to have a little hard headed streak in him but for the most part he is really a good dog. He is picking up tricks pretty fast too.

Naw, he is probably just waiting for you to change your mind. You know, he is just trying to tell you you are doing it wrong and is giving you time to get it right. But after a while he is smart enough to realize that you aren't going to change so might as well do it your way. :lol: Give him time, he will get you trained properly. Sounds like riding around on your lap is a pretty good start. :p

1982vett":2pwm0sez said:
Sounds like riding around on your lap is a pretty good start.

I'm pretty sure fixing corner posts is one of his most favorite things in the whole world to do. Everything else seems to be. :nod: :lol2:

Jogeephus":2f2gz3gj said:
jcummins":2f2gz3gj said:
this was suppose to be MY dog...but the Mrs. definitely claims ownership too now. He wins over hearts.

Same with mine. I don't want the ladies ruining him. He rode on the tractor with me all day. Did real good till I saw he was getting a little bored and picked him up and held him. From then on, it was hold-me time. I found its kinda hard to get a big harrow thru a 16' gate with a pup trying to steer the tractor. :lol2:

Watch out. Before you know it, he will consider the tractor HIS....and insist on driving. I know...I've been through that. :D

:lol: :lol: Fraid its too late. BTW, other day I pulled to a gate. Got out to open it and little Richard Petty jumps in the drivers seat to watch me. Puts his paw on the door lock and yep - he locked me out of the truck.

:lol: :lol: Rain or shine, getting out of the truck without taking the key, I roll down the window enough to be able to let myself back in. :lol: Even if it is to get the mail or open a gate. Get used to doing it, it is going to happen again. :nod:

:lol:

:lol: Your going to have to get used to it. Buckshot locked me out of my truck once and as soon as he realized that there was nothing I could do to keep him from acting badly he jumped in the back seat and started going through my stuff. :frowns:

Jogeephus":1v5z544m said:
funky 4-Her":1v5z544m said:
Awwww! what a cutie!! Is he straight heeler?? Sounds like he will make a fine cattle dog.

Yes. I was actually looking for mix but we had some good recommendations on this breeder so my son went to look. When my son went to see the puppies all of them went to the owner but this one ran right to him. I think he is going to be a good dog. He sure knows how to pull your heart strings anyhow. :oops:

Cute Pup! He has similar coloring to my old heeler who I had to put down 2 weeks ago. They are awesome helpers, mine was tough as nails..he never got scared or gave up.

I got hooked on their breed when as a kid I saw a heeler at the rodeo that they used to bring the bucking bulls back into the chutes..boy that dog worked for his dinner!

spinandslide":3jitoyep said:
Jogeephus":3jitoyep said:
funky 4-Her":3jitoyep said:
Awwww! what a cutie!! Is he straight heeler?? Sounds like he will make a fine cattle dog.

Yes. I was actually looking for mix but we had some good recommendations on this breeder so my son went to look. When my son went to see the puppies all of them went to the owner but this one ran right to him. I think he is going to be a good dog. He sure knows how to pull your heart strings anyhow. :oops:

Cute Pup! He has similar coloring to my old heeler who I had to put down 2 weeks ago. They are awesome helpers, mine was tough as nails..he never got scared or gave up.

I got hooked on their breed when as a kid I saw a heeler at the rodeo that they used to bring the bucking bulls back into the chutes..boy that dog worked for his dinner!

As hard as they work...or what we look at as work....is all play to them.

I hope Eli will be as good as what ya'll have said. He is smart. What I'd really like him to do is just guard the gates while I feed hay. If I can get him to do that, he will earn his keep.

Spinandslide, I know that was tough losing your dog. Its going to be tough when that day comes with mine. Is he the one on the saddle? Neat pic.

[/quote]

As hard as they work...or what we look at as work....is all play to them.[/quote]

Very true...Ive never seen a dog happier then when they have a job to do with their master..that is their fun.

Jogeephus":3a9e2d9f said:
I hope Eli will be as good as what ya'll have said. He is smart. What I'd really like him to do is just guard the gates while I feed hay. If I can get him to do that, he will earn his keep.

Spinandslide, I know that was tough losing your dog. Its going to be tough when that day comes with mine. Is he the one on the saddle? Neat pic.

They are terriably smart..freaky smart. :)

It was tough..knew it would happen one of these days, but when the moment comes..you know how it is. Ive seen alot of birth and death on my ranch and Ive never been as torn up over a death as I was with this dog. he was such a neat one. The Good Lord needed a strong helper in heaven to move some ornery steers and knew my old man was the one for the job. Yes, thats him in the photo..:) In his later years, he discovered he could make horses do what he wanted from the saddle versus on the ground ;-)

Ive got a BC pup and shes pretty neat, we are starting working livestock this weekend. shes helped me alot through these 2 weeks since he died.

Have fun with Eli..they are such neat dogs. :)

Glad to hear you got one in the making. I've been unlucky with dogs for several years. Seems only 1 in 20 are worth feeding. Have had some great ones that leave big shoes to fill. I think Eli may be able to fill the shoes.

Yesterday I walked across a pasture to check the goat garden where I have corn planted. Left the gate open while I was inside. Four loose calves I have ended up walking toward the gate. Without being told, Eli ran over to the open gate and sat down and watched them. When the calves got to the opening where they could make a choice to come in or walk by, Eli made the decision for them and sent them running. This was all done with me just watching. Gives me hope.

Jogeephus":3f4xuktb said:
Glad to hear you got one in the making. I've been unlucky with dogs for several years. Seems only 1 in 20 are worth feeding. Have had some great ones that leave big shoes to fill. I think Eli may be able to fill the shoes.

Yesterday I walked across a pasture to check the goat garden where I have corn planted. Left the gate open while I was inside. Four loose calves I have ended up walking toward the gate. Without being told, Eli ran over to the open gate and sat down and watched them. When the calves got to the opening where they could make a choice to come in or walk by, Eli made the decision for them and sent them running. This was all done with me just watching. Gives me hope.

I feel each dog has a purpose or job..my old hound, her purpose is to sleep :) and watch the house..she cant work livestock to save her life. :)

Eli sounds like a goodun and like my old heeler was..there was never any question in his mind about what his job was and where the horses or cows were suppossed to be...

What is Eli bred like? my old man had alot of australian imports on his papers..he was alot thicker built then my female, who is very american bred..shes more petite and smaller.

I didn't see the kennel but my son said Eli's sire was short and thick. About 45 lbs. Wasn't fat but very muscular. Eli's uncle won something big last year. Reserve champion in some national show or something like that. I wanted a healer type but didn't really expect him to get me a registered animal like this.(my experience with registered bird dogs has not been good) The breeder is supposed to be a good one who doesn't crank out a bunch of pups so I think he is from pretty descent working blood.

Can you go on their website and trace back the lineage? If so, I'll try it and see what type blood he has. Don't know much about this breed but I'm beginning to learn a little about them and its interesting.

Jogeephus":1b1xz27r said:
I didn't see the kennel but my son said Eli's sire was short and thick. About 45 lbs. Wasn't fat but very muscular. Eli's uncle won something big last year. Reserve champion in some national show or something like that. I wanted a healer type but didn't really expect him to get me a registered animal like this.(my experience with registered bird dogs has not been good) The breeder is supposed to be a good one who doesn't crank out a bunch of pups so I think he is from pretty descent working blood.

Can you go on their website and trace back the lineage? If so, I'll try it and see what type blood he has. Don't know much about this breed but I'm beginning to learn a little about them and its interesting.

I love to look at cattle dogs..I dont know alot, but Ill take a peek if you want and let ya know if anything looks familar or jumps out at me. whats the site?

I so much prefer the short and thick ones..my old man was like that, he had a big head and ENOURMOUS teeth..:) Scared the bejeebers outta the folks in the next warehouse over when I took him to work with me years ago. :)

Two weeks ago he was 17.2 lbs at vet. I gotta go this week for another round of shots. I'm guessing he is 20-25 lbs now. He does like his vienna sausages and pork ribs. :lol:

Latest posts