My new helper

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
This is Eli, my new best friend and avatar. Got him a week ago and he is now 7 weeks old. He seems to be very smart and wants to please. I already have him sitting and staying (for short periods anyway) and he's almost house broke. Today was his first day herding calves. He helped me bring 13 stubborn calves through a gate. We had to push them about 300 yards and he hung right by my side giving the occassional yap to keep the calves moving. It was a sight to see and I was tickled pink with him.

Anyhow, here he is in a pasture.

IMG_3379.jpg

Oh, he also enjoys fishing. Here is his first fish.

IMG_3376.jpg

:D Finally we get to see more pics of him, i especially like the one with his first fish. Glad to here he's got a strong herding instinct.

funky 4-Her":vrnou0mt said:
Awwww! what a cutie!! Is he straight heeler?? Sounds like he will make a fine cattle dog.

Yes. I was actually looking for mix but we had some good recommendations on this breeder so my son went to look. When my son went to see the puppies all of them went to the owner but this one ran right to him. I think he is going to be a good dog. He sure knows how to pull your heart strings anyhow. :oops:

Jogeephus":17oadney said:
funky 4-Her":17oadney said:
Awwww! what a cutie!! Is he straight heeler?? Sounds like he will make a fine cattle dog.

Yes. I was actually looking for mix but we had some good recommendations on this breeder so my son went to look. When my son went to see the puppies all of them went to the owner but this one ran right to him. I think he is going to be a good dog. He sure knows how to pull your heart strings anyhow. :oops:

He's a cutie Jo, I am sure he will turn into a great cattle dog and better yet a wonderful edition to your family.. :) Hubby picked Steffie for somewhat the same reason. When they let all the puppies out of the kennel all of them ran to mom except Stef, she ran after the cat that was walking by..hubby said "I want that one" :lol2: She has been a tremendous worker for us at the dairy and now here with the beef cows, but more importantly she is a huge part of our family and definitely gives way more than she gets. :heart:

Thanks. He is working on our heart strings for sure. It seems like only 1 out of 20 dogs are actually worth keeping. I really think he is going to be an exceptional animal.

he is 1 cute pup joegeee.you can tell he is bred to work cattle.he looked like he was ready to get that fish.

Cute little pup Jogee, I'm sure he'll serve you well an only want a little food and affection in return.

Even if he turns out to be a complete failure at the herding thing, he is more than cute enough to make up for it :pretty: :heart:

Just_a_girl":6fnmdnyn said:
he's a good looking dog.

You going to let him keep that tail, right?

Yes, I couldn't cut it off him if I wanted to. Besides, it moves so fast that I don't think anyone could grab it. ;-) He is a happy dog and has become quite a character is getting to understand my routine. You should see him perk up when he gets around cattle. He has even driven some wayward calves back to the herd. He was tickled with himself. He did overstep his bounds the other day with an eared cow and she charged him he yelped, gained some ground and did a U turn and went right back at her but she kept coming. He finally found refuge under the truck and I found mine on top of the truck. :lol2:

Here's a pic from his play time today.

IMG_2559.jpg

I'm glad to hear that, he probably is too. :lol: I know that most people cut the tail, but I just think they're better with it. You will always be able to see just how happy he is.

I like the markings above his eyes...that's different.

He even looks happy and a little mischievous. :nod:

I got one of those....but a little boy. a Christmas present. He's a bunch bigger now. The Mrs. take charge of him when I ain't looking.

081202125225020.jpg

jcummins":2eo4hjxz said:
I got one of those....but a little boy. a Christmas present. He's a bunch bigger now. The Mrs. take charge of him when I ain't looking.

081202125225020.jpg

Beautiful dog. Looks smart too! How does he behave? Eli seems to have a little hard headed streak in him but for the most part he is really a good dog. He is picking up tricks pretty fast too.

Behaves pretty good, his best trait is he comes when called. I wanted a 'buddy' dog for the ranch and from that point he fits the bill really well. Where I step….he steps. But….fetching a stick, as an example, he goes after it and brings it back, when HE thinks he should. Half the time he brings back the wrong stick, or no stick. He much prefers some other dog to do the fetch, so he can heel the other dog. I also quickly found, I can not feed a cube from my UTV to any calves or cows with him in it (and he thinks he owns the UTV). He almost nailed the bull on the nose doing that. A heeler and a biter…he is. BTW-this was suppose to be MY dog...but the Mrs. definitely claims ownership too now. He wins over hearts.

jcummins":2k28bqxp said:
this was suppose to be MY dog...but the Mrs. definitely claims ownership too now. He wins over hearts.

Same with mine. I don't want the ladies ruining him. He rode on the tractor with me all day. Did real good till I saw he was getting a little bored and picked him up and held him. From then on, it was hold-me time. I found its kinda hard to get a big harrow thru a 16' gate with a pup trying to steer the tractor. :lol2: