My new crush (chute to you people)

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
I went to our big field day Farmfest a few weeks back and purchased a new crush which is supposed to make my life easier now that I am 71. I'm trying to get another decade out of my old body. I got it off my truck today and did a video to show a few of its features. It is going to be a while before I get to install it as the cows have just started calving and I don't want to change things. Hopefully I'll have it in before I start inseminating them. Hope the link works.

Ken

C
I went to our big field day Farmfest a few weeks back and purchased a new crush which is supposed to make my life easier now that I am 71. I'm trying to get another decade out of my old body. I got it off my truck today and did a video to show a few of its features. It is going to be a while before I get to install it as the cows have just started calving and I don't want to change things. Hopefully I'll have it in before I start inseminating them. Hope the link works.

Ken

Congratulations! Looks stout. I have never seen a kick gate on a palp cage.

Ken

In the States, at least where I've been... we call them a "squeeze". A chute being the two parallel fences leading to the crush/squeeze.

But that's a nice one. It ought to make your life easier.

Ohhhhhh. Nice. I like that you can swing out the side in 2 pieces. With ours you either swing the whole side out or nothing.
I'm split about the 'no floor'. Suppose if you install it on concrete it doesn't matter. On dry ground it wouldn't matter either. Interesting.
I have a question though. When I see livestock handling pictures/videos from Australia the material is often or mainly square/rectangle hollow channel iron, where around here most, if not all handling equipment is made of round steel tubing sorta thing.
Is there a difference in sturdiness or a benefit in one or the other? Always wondered about that.

Very nice chute (crush). I really like the way it's designed. Several good features that would be useful when needed.

Ohhhhhh. Nice. I like that you can swing out the side in 2 pieces. With ours you either swing the whole side out or nothing.
I'm split about the 'no floor'. Suppose if you install it on concrete it doesn't matter. On dry ground it wouldn't matter either. Interesting.
I have a question though. When I see livestock handling pictures/videos from Australia the material is often or mainly square/rectangle hollow channel iron, where around here most, if not all handling equipment is made of round steel tubing sorta thing.
Is there a difference in sturdiness or a benefit in one or the other? Always wondered about that.
I think square section is easier to fabricate, you only have to cut the ends square and butt them together to weld rather than notching the ends to fit to round section. Using round horizontally welded to square verticals would be just as easy. If you look closely at what the horizontal components of the gates are made of, it is called "cattle rail" it is rectangular with 1/2 round top and bottom sort of like a flat oval. Most of the modern working yards are made of the stuff here, it is a good product.
I don't think there is much difference in sturdiness, the materials are sized to suit the application, The smooth edges may be an advantage but the cattle rail caters to that also.
It is interesting how the design of equiptment like this evolves in our countries respectively, obviously to satisfy the needs of the users. To see the Australian company Arrow being highly regarded in the US is great. I think the US is the leader in the auto catch head bale design, we just don't see any auto catch here.
Yes I would have liked to have bought an Arrow crush but it was outside my budget however I can't see much that I am missing with this one. They are a fairly new manufacturer and are based at Killarney which is only an hours scenic drive from here on a quite road. They are keen to get any input from me on anything they can improve so I will keep in touch as I often get down there to the Coop.
The big thing is that it has the feel that I was after in operating, some others that I looked at took a bit of effort.

Ken

I'm jealous……🤭

You have puddles of water. 😅😅😅
Oh, it is a nice piece of equipment for sure.
Yes we have had our share of rain here, the complete opposite to you but we know the pendulum will swing in the not too distant future. Hope you get your share soon.
I should have photoshopped the puddles out so as not to torment you, sorry. (if I knew How to)

Ken

In the States, at least where I've been... we call them a "squeeze". A chute being the two parallel fences leading to the crush/squeeze.

But that's a nice one. It ought to make your life easier.
funny, we call it a squeeze, chute, or squeeze chute. the area leading to it, an alleyway or alley. same for the loading chute (and it can have an alleyway leading to it). heh!

I think square section is easier to fabricate, you only have to cut the ends square and butt them together to weld rather than notching the ends to fit to round section. Using round horizontally welded to square verticals would be just as easy. If you look closely at what the horizontal components of the gates are made of, it is called "cattle rail" it is rectangular with 1/2 round top and bottom sort of like a flat oval. Most of the modern working yards are made of the stuff here, it is a good product.
I don't think there is much difference in sturdiness, the materials are sized to suit the application, The smooth edges may be an advantage but the cattle rail caters to that also.
It is interesting how the design of equiptment like this evolves in our countries respectively, obviously to satisfy the needs of the users. To see the Australian company Arrow being highly regarded in the US is great. I think the US is the leader in the auto catch head bale design, we just don't see any auto catch here.
Yes I would have liked to have bought an Arrow crush but it was outside my budget however I can't see much that I am missing with this one. They are a fairly new manufacturer and are based at Killarney which is only an hours scenic drive from here on a quite road. They are keen to get any input from me on anything they can improve so I will keep in touch as I often get down there to the Coop.
The big thing is that it has the feel that I was after in operating, some others that I looked at took a bit of effort.

Ken
Thanks for answering. It's interesting to see the differences in equipment in different countries. Makes sense what you say about straight edges being easier to weld together, or let me say 'less work' welding them together instead of a round tube to another round tube.

Latest posts