My new charolais hereford heifers.

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
Hi there. Today I have bought some hereford charolais cross heifers. I will join them in June to a low b/w angus bull. I think they will be great cows. Anyone else done this? Anyone got some pictures?

Cheers ozD:)

I was told by a wise old guy that if you are breeding anything to a Charolais bull, all calves should be strictly terminal and not keeping them as replacements. I can't comment on herf x char heifers being great cows as I don't have any char cross cows at home.

Why should anything bred to a Charolais be terminal, I see a lot Char. x cows in my area that are good calf raisers.

I understand some people think char don't milk as well but I don't know plenty of other euro breeds go ok.

I come from an angus back ground and wouldn't say they have the nicest temperament and want to try something a bit different. I will be joining 15 angus heifers and five ang limo at the same time. Just being young and experimenting.

Farming has to be gun! Lol

cowboy43":3nrotxpp said:
Why should anything bred to a Charolais be terminal, I see a lot Char. x cows in my area that are good calf raisers.
You may be right about that one but I don't see many char cross cows in my area and I don't know what is their reason to not use them as a replacement.

Highest calves I seen sell all year in NE Iowa been group of buckskin calves. Uses a 3-4 way cross of red angus, charolais, shorthorn, simmental. One of the best group of cows I've ever been around. Guy really mates his cows tho and puts right bull and right breed on each set. He actually just dispersed his black herd of cows and going all the to the buckskin cross. Calves in Feb/March and Sept with no creep steers weigh 6 no problem. Buys good bulls and boy are they pretty.

I bought some char and crosses couple years ago. Will be using more char in the future.

Back 12 years ago we purchased 90 bred commercial heifers, two were Charolais they were both culled for temperment after one calf. My first and last experience with the breed. It may have been a fluke but the picture of Mr Lance being flipped out of the working pens left a lasting impression. Both those heifers would get u! On a side note we still have three of those cow (14 year olds) working in the herd.

Gizmom

I think one of the main reason's that there is so few Char and Char cross's here is they are so big and ineffiecent. We are semi-arid and for the most part it takes a lot of roughage to winter here. There is a very large purebred Char operation near here and it does amaxe me how those big[huge] cows survive and produce. It looks like to me that there is quite a turn-over in the cowherd. Don't think they worry much about stayability.I think we may have to pay stricter attention to size and effiecentcy real quick as it maybe one of the onlyway's to stay solvent as a successfull cow-calf operation.

You done good buying the Char Hereford crosses. They will may fine cows. Lots of them in this area. Breed those heifers to a red limousin bull and watch them grow.

Excellent cross. You should be pleased. Just my opinion, the char can override the lbw bull. You might have bigger calves than you are hoping for.

Great cross and should make excellent cows. My to favorite bulls are brangus and horned Hereford, but I wouldn't recommend a Hereford or any black bull for Charolais x Hereford heifers, this would be one of the rare times I would strongly suggest a red bull.

Here is a a cow we believe to be half herf and half char. Good cow weans good calves. The calf with her is half black limmi. She probably weighs 1100lbs or so...

Congratulations on your purchase. I like the cross very well. I have a few charolais cows in addition to my braunvieh and all crossed with a hereford bull. Had a hereford x char calf born yesterday. The cross here will top the markets at the sale barn. I plan on keeping some of my heifers from the cross. I had planned to use a black angus on the that cross, but some on here have offered good advice towards red bulls.

Others may have had bad experience with char cows, I have not. They are not picky eaters and some will milk well enough to raise good calves. Charolais have made some good strides in the size and milking ability of their females. Their disposition for me, has always been pretty good. Went right up to the new born and checked it out with the mother present. But, if you have a bad one, they can be some of the most rankk.

I'll try to get some pictures this weekend. Best of luck with your heifers.

I've had good luck with some Char crosses mainly Charbray but they tend to be mean but Char x Hereford is one I've had zero luck getting a good momma cow got a heifer right now should be bred to an angus bull not even sure I will calve her out may just sale her heavy bred this spring

Thanks for all the posts I am going to get some pictures of the girls up when I work out how. I can't get them from my iPod up to the forum.

I am going to have a good time working out if this cross works out. Trial and error is the only way to learn.

OakCreekRanch":gdon3mze said:
cowboy43":gdon3mze said:
You may be right about that one but I don't see many char cross cows in my area and I don't know what is their reason to not use them as a replacement.

Because they're not black.

OakCreekRanch":1z4ytq1d said:
I was told by a wise old guy that if you are breeding anything to a Charolais bull, all calves should be strictly terminal and not keeping them as replacements. I can't comment on herf x char heifers being great cows as I don't have any char cross cows at home.

I have a cow that I raised her mom was Charolais and dad was gray Brahman and she can raise a calf as good as any and better than a lot. When I see people say this is the way it should be ALWAYS make me wonder about them there is excepions to everything.

skeeter swatter":15b9whvm said:
OakCreekRanch":15b9whvm said:
cowboy43":15b9whvm said:

Ding ding ding!!!
Canada does of course have it's woodpile black chars.
Solution--buy yourself a 100% certified Black Hereford bull and use him on the Charolais and soon, the lemmings (I mean world) will beat a path to your door.

BRYANT":1xj6gfia said:
OakCreekRanch":1xj6gfia said:

I have a cow that I raised her mom was Charolais and dad was gray Brahman and she can raise a calf as good as any and better than a lot. When I see people say this is the way it should be ALWAYS make me wonder about them there is excepions to everything.
I guess but isn't Charolais a terminal bull most of times?

skeeter swatter":1yrbfpph said:
OakCreekRanch":1yrbfpph said:
cowboy43":1yrbfpph said:

Who says anything about black cattle? There are more red animals than blacks in our area.

Latest posts