My new bull, give me your thoughts

Help Support CattleToday:

That's a good looking bull. Should do well for you and leave you with nice heifers to keep.

Butch,
If you could sell Brahman bulls I would breed Brahman cattle. They are like pets if you get the right kind.
I had the wrong kind so I know. The right kind are like pets and they are great mamas. I bottle fed Brahman crosses and they are easy to work with.

Air gator":1zjm3e06 said:
That's a good looking bull. Should do well for you and leave you with nice heifers to keep.

Butch,
If you could sell Brahman bulls I would breed Brahman cattle. They are like pets if you get the right kind.
I had the wrong kind so I know. The right kind are like pets and they are great mamas. I bottle fed Brahman crosses and they are easy to work with.
Where he's at,,that would be like trying to sell a Popsicle to a Eskimo... :cowboy:

This was my last bull. Registered Sim-angus, high CE, low BW and below average WW, YW and ADG. I never was able to retain a heifer and never weaned a calf above 575#, even after creep and post weaning feed. In his defense, he did exactly what his EPD's suggested he would. Costly mistake on my part. Fingers crossed for a much better results.

I leased this brangus bull last winter and should have some of his calves any day now.

SimAngus farmer":3rpycuhz said:

This was my last bull. Registered Sim-angus, high CE, low BW and below average WW, YW and ADG. I never was able to retain a heifer and never weaned a calf above 575#, even after creep and post weaning feed. In his defense, he did exactly what his EPD's suggested he would. Costly mistake on my part. Fingers crossed for a much better results.

I leased this brangus bull last winter and should have some of his calves any day now.
I think you've definitely upgraded. Hopefully your calves will reflect this in the future.

SimAngus farmer":2q1wvsv7 said:
This was my last bull. Registered Sim-angus, high CE, low BW and below average WW, YW and ADG. I never was able to retain a heifer and never weaned a calf above 575#, even after creep and post weaning feed. In his defense, he did exactly what his EPD's suggested he would.

Were all the heifers too moderate?

SimAngus are a great cross - but - not all SimAngus acquire the balance you want. This SimAngus bull does not have the muscling (especially the rear quarters - I cannot "see" if he has a decent loin). I don't care how "moderate" the offspring are or are not, they probably did not carry the muscle you need in a beef herd.

Stocker Steve":3a2tsnko said:
SimAngus farmer":3a2tsnko said:
This was my last bull. Registered Sim-angus, high CE, low BW and below average WW, YW and ADG. I never was able to retain a heifer and never weaned a calf above 575#, even after creep and post weaning feed. In his defense, he did exactly what his EPD's suggested he would.

Were all the heifers too moderate?

I was unable to get decent gain on my heifers and steers. One year I kept some heifers longer to see if anything would change. The group was 8-9 months old when I sold them, not one weighed even 500lbs. All calves lacked even decent rear ends.
I don't know if some cattle have heavier bone, but even the calves that appeared decent at weaning would be much lighter than they looked when they crossed the scales.
I'm not trying to blame the bull for all of these issues. He was only half to blame. I will know, after covering the same cows with different bulls, for sure where the problem lies.
I picked out the bull not long after I started raising cattle. I hope my ability to choose has improved.
I was overly concerned with CED and low BW. I now know that single trait selection is not the smartest idea.

Latest posts