My New Beefmaster Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer":12io60dj said:
i see he has a knott on his side or neck tho[/b].

That's an injection site where he received a vaccination.

If that is an injection not they need to review BQA guidelines.

The Lasater Ranch did not vaccinate the bull, and neither did I. The man who delivered the bull back to my area asked if I'd like to vaccinate the bull, and I agreed. He knows where animals should be vaccinated just like a lot of other people...doesn't mean he'll always practice it though.

Fred":z3mkjjqh said:
Nice looking bull. From what I understand there is Lasater Beefmasters in Colorado and also Texas. Are these two separate breeders ?

The Lasater Ranch started in Texas and moved to Colorado in the 1950s, I believe. That's the foundation herd. Laurence Lasater, son of breed founder Tom Lasater, has a herd around San Angelo, Tx. They are mostly the same foundation genetics, just bred different ways.

EC

Looks much improved, although he looked fine last year also. Maybe a little short from hip-pin bone, but I like him. What's with the scar/brand on his lower hind leg? Not really a good spot for a brand, but if it's a scar, it must have been a dandy when it happened.

East Caney":14eq9sqk said:
Fred":14eq9sqk said:
Nice looking bull. From what I understand there is Lasater Beefmasters in Colorado and also Texas. Are these two separate breeders ?

The Lasater Ranch started in Texas and moved to Colorado in the 1950s, I believe. That's the foundation herd. Laurence Lasater, son of breed founder Tom Lasater, has a herd around San Angelo, Tx. They are mostly the same foundation genetics, just bred different ways.

EC
I am thinking about going to the Isa Cattle Co. sale in San Angelo on October 3. There is a BBU man in my area who is going and offered me a ride. Not looking forward to the 10-11 hour drive.

Fred":3ic8pbqy said:
I am thinking about going to the Isa Cattle Co. sale in San Angelo on October 3. There is a BBU man in my area who is going and offered me a ride. Not looking forward to the 10-11 hour drive.

I've been buying Beefmasters since 2007, and I've not yet gone out to Isa. My trip to Colorado last year was my first. I'll be going again this year (sale on 9/16). I enjoy the trip, and I've never seen a better set of udders.

purecountry":1ro69d35 said:
Looks much improved, although he looked fine last year also. Maybe a little short from hip-pin bone, but I like him. What's with the scar/brand on his lower hind leg? Not really a good spot for a brand, but if it's a scar, it must have been a dandy when it happened.

It's a brand, not a scar. I assume the brand placement has to due with the fact that Lasater used to place their 4-number brand on the hip which would reduce space.