My new baby, Molly

Help Support CattleToday:

Here we go! Rich slept in today so I had to wait a while for him to get my pics off the camera...

This is #912 on the left, Molly on the right. Molly is pretending she forgot what "hay" is. There's a big pile of it right near where I'm standing...
11-24-22 Molly back home with 912.jpg

Close-up of #912. I need to think of a better name for her. I was gonna call her Loaner, but she's so sweet and kind, she deserves a sweet name.

11-24-22 912 the Loaner 02.jpg

Molly, who accidentally forgot about her amnesia, and turned her head when I called.
11-24-22 Molly.jpg

The dogs are busy guarding their new "babies," and Maggie heard something (a bird, I think) up the hill and took off after it. She paused to listen again just long enough that I could take her picture. She's so beautiful (to me, anyway)!
11-24-22 Molly and Maggie.jpg

And Conan, following. "Which way did she go? Which way did she go?" Goofy boy.
11-24-22 Conan.jpg

Molly eventually came over and started eating hay from the pile. I think it will take a day or two for her "amnesia" to wear off, but once she remembers her treats, she'll come around.

Maggie finished scouting for birds and came back for a cookie:
11-24-22 Maggie 02.jpg

But the boys were still guarding. Conan was watching the cows safely from his side of the pasture fence, LOL! He knows Molly, but that other big fat cow LOOKED at him and scared him! I can't blame him, though. Discretion IS the better part of valor. ;)
11-24-22 Conan on guard.jpg

And our old boy Jasper was in his usual lookout spot, watching the east fence. Poor guy barked ALL NIGHT LONG last night, because there was a strange cow in our pasture. Stranger Danger! ACK! He's OK this morning, though. I told him she lives here now, and I think he understands.
11-24-22 Jasper guarding at sunrise.jpg

I'm so glad to have cows back in my pasture! Although everything is so dead and yellow, I can't wait for spring! Those red cows look like flame against the green spring grass.

OK, they both came in the barn this morning when I was putting hay out for them. Sweet Pea even licked my hand! She had a very curious look on her face and was kinda leaning toward me, so I held my hand out and she sniffed it, then gave my fingers a lick. She really is sweet. Molly stood still while I rested my hand on her rump and talked to Sweet Pea, also, so she's forgetting she has amnesia. ;)

I think I'll bring out the pellets tomorrow and if all goes well, we'll start back with stanchion drills shortly afterward.

I'm so happy to have cows again. Did I say that already? Well, if I did, it's OK. I really AM happy! :)

OK, they both came in the barn this morning when I was putting hay out for them. Sweet Pea even licked my hand! She had a very curious look on her face and was kinda leaning toward me, so I held my hand out and she sniffed it, then gave my fingers a lick. She really is sweet. Molly stood still while I rested my hand on her rump and talked to Sweet Pea, also, so she's forgetting she has amnesia. ;)

I think I'll bring out the pellets tomorrow and if all goes well, we'll start back with stanchion drills shortly afterward.

I'm so happy to have cows again. Did I say that already? Well, if I did, it's OK. I really AM happy! :)
Love it!!

I forget, did you or neighbor have any idea what she's bred to?

Love it!!

I forget, did you or neighbor have any idea what she's bred to?

Actually, yes. There were three black polled Angus heifer bulls in with the heifer herd that Molly joined. I was planning to take her to my other neighbor later, but it would have been the same thing, black polled Angus heifer bull. So I got the same kind of bull, but didn't have to load and haul her. Actually, considering everything that happened, I would have preferred loading her and hauling her, but hey, we got her a buddy this way. ;)

So yeah, somewhere around the first part of May, give or take two weeks, I should be seeing a Hershey-bar colored calf frolicking around in the spring grass. And whatever it is, I'm keeping it as Molly's next buddy.

I had a pretty fun morning yesterday. Molly heard me moving around in the hay room and came in the barn to see why I hadn't instantly teleported her hay out to her. She's SO impatient. But instead, I had a dish of nice warm alfalfa pellet and beet pulp mash for her. You could see the wheels turning in her head, LOL! I let her sniff it, then went and put it in the milking stanchion feeder box and took the board down so she could get in there. She wanted to, but when her head is in the feed box, she can't see anything, so she stood there and stood there, thinking, while her pellets were getting cold. I guess I have to get her hooked again first. So I moved the pan to the floor right in front of the head catch and she hopped right up there and ate.

I had to bring hay out, clean and fill the water trough, bring some more mineral and loose salt out, and the dogs and one cat were with me, so there was a lot of activity going on while she was eating, but other than to back up a step and look around a couple times, she didn't seem bothered by any noises. Meanwhile, Sweet Pea was outside in the corral, looking in.

When Molly finished and I'd tidied up the barn, I grabbed the burdock comb (it's a dog rake, but I use it to remove burdocks from dogs, cows, and horse) and started combing out Conan (the dog), who had a bunch on his shoulders. Sweet Pea was watching us closely, so when I was finished with Conan, I took a few steps toward Sweet Pea and asked her if she'd like me to brush her. (Both cows need it, we have so many damn burdocks around here.) She stood still and again sniffed and licked my hand when I held it out to her, then I let her smell the comb, and then just casually started brushing it along her side. She didn't mind at all, until I got to a burdock and tugged. That kind of startled her and she sidestepped away from me, but wa-heck, that was pretty good for her to stand there and let me comb her, even if it was for only a few strokes. She has not had a human hand on her since she got tagged as a calf, I think. Such a nice girl she is. :)

I was able to scritch Molly a bit as well, but she hasn't remembered yet how good that comb feels, so when she saw it, she stepped out of range and wouldn't come back. It must be some horrid instrument of torture, LOL! Eh, there's always the next day... she'll remember everything in time.

I think if I can win Sweet Pea's trust, so she isn't spooked or skittish around me, it will go a long way toward Molly's attitude. I've noticed that Sweet Pea is the definite lead cow of the two of them, and when Sweet Pea spooks, Molly runs, too. So once I get Sweet Pea gentled a bit, Molly will lower her vibrations somewhat, too, I think. It's hard to sometimes to figure them out. You really have to be a cow psychologist... :rolleyes:
I think Molly has already shown you her potential. At this point it seems you are wishful thinking instead of using common sense. Being stubborn, even with the best of intentions and because you are an overly empathetic person will not change a recalcitrant cow into a good animal. And the time and effort wasted could be used to save another cow that would be what you want from going to slaughter. Some animals are just not worth the effort considering the great animals that would benefit from your desires.

I don't understand why you think you should be the one to decide what I do with my life or my animals. I don't have the luxury of just going cow shopping on a whim, even if you DID think it was your decision that I do so. My best cow (BEST) was way worse than this one before she had her first calf. But you win. I will cease posting silly milk cow related stories in the Milk Cow Section. Go back to your beef herd. I don't know what I was thinking about in the first place, posting non-beef stuff on this forum.

I don't understand why you think you should be the one to decide what I do with my life or my animals. I don't have the luxury of just going cow shopping on a whim, even if you DID think it was your decision that I do so. My best cow (BEST) was way worse than this one before she had her first calf. But you win. I will cease posting silly milk cow related stories in the Milk Cow Section. Go back to your beef herd. I don't know what I was thinking about in the first place, posting non-beef stuff on this forum.
Ma'am, I don't think it has anything to do with beef vs dairy or being silly. I don't think anyone here looks down on dairy cows or having a bubbly personality. Different folks have different opinions on who's a stayer and a goer, cow wise, and this is about as opinionated a place as you could ask for. Don't let it get to you, it's just a suggestion he was making based off of his experiences, just like you'll make the decision based on yours. It's your decision to make, anyway. If she's not too much for you then you're the one to know it. You do you and keep on posting and trucking.

Hey... I'm sorry if you are offended by my opinion. You may find it harsh, but it's well intended and only trying to give you an alternative that might improve your life. But by all means do whatever you think best. Be sure to post the results. I'm just as curious as anyone else to see how it turns out.

That Molly goes into the head gate but then suddenly rushes backwards is a concern. She would guarantee kicking over the milk bucket, Likely break a horn and possibly hurt you. Have you thought of asking DH to add a stanchion with a butt board? That would confine her for milking so she could not go to fighting the head gate and panic.

Daphne has had many half angus calves, 2 were heifers. They were handled from birth, halter broke (which took all summer) but neither made a milk cow because of their innate flightiness. Now I have a pure Jersey heifer from a dairy and she is just as tame and docile as Daphne was. Halter breaking the Jerseys took one day, not all summer.

Last edited:
That Molly goes into the head gate but then suddenly rushes backwards is a concern. She would guarantee kicking over the milk bucket, Likely break a horn and possibly hurt you. Have you thought of asking DH to add a stanchion with a butt board? That would confine her for milking so she could not go to fighting the head gate and panic.

Daphne has had many half angus calves, 2 were heifers. They were handled from birth, halter broke (which took all summer) but neither made a milk cow because of their innate flightiness. Now I have a pure Jersey heifer from a dairy and she is just as tame and docile as Daphne was. Halter breaking the Jerseys took one day, not all summer.
I'm concerned about Opals flightyness as well. She panics terribly. And I've never tried a head Gate. All I want her to do is accept orphan calves. But I suppose it would be nice if I could hand milk her if need be!
She stands tied pretty nicely with a halter. But WILL freak out at sudden noises etc.

I've no doubt @Lannie will get her calmed back down. She was making good progress before she went looking for a man. (Molly, not lannie) 🤣

Lots of folks don't realize, ya just don't always go out and buy a perfect cow every time. It takes work! And daily attention. Repetitive daily routines help tremendously.
Feed, head gates, halters, are all tools to be used to aid in training the cow to do what yiu want the cow to do.

Otherwise....

Cows gonna do what a cow does!

Lots of folks don't realize, ya just don't always go out and buy a perfect cow every time. It takes work! And daily attention. .

Otherwise....

Cows gonna do what a cow does!
I gotta say... there are great cows going to slaughter every day and there is no reason to keep a bad actor, IMO. If you want to take the time and effort and consider it a challenge, that's fine for you. But I have better things to do. I've seen people fall in love with cows for all kinds of reasons, and sometimes they get hurt because they get stubborn and take it as a matter of pride to tame the wild beast.

The same thing goes for dogs. There are great dogs being euthanized every day because no one wants them. At the same time there are people living miserable lives because they are in love with a problem dog.

All you have to do is understand a little animal psychology and watch their body language to make better choices. I've made my share of mistakes, but I've learned from them and I don't try to force a square peg into a round hole.

I gotta say... there are great cows going to slaughter every day and there is no reason to keep a bad actor, IMO. If you want to take the time and effort and consider it a challenge, that's fine for you. But I have better things to do. I've seen people fall in love with cows for all kinds of reasons, and sometimes they get hurt because they get stubborn and take it as a matter of pride to tame the wild beast.

The same thing goes for dogs. There are great dogs being euthanized every day because no one wants them. At the same time there are people living miserable lives because they are in love with a problem dog.

All you have to do is understand a little animal psychology and watch their body language to make better choices. I've made my share of mistakes, but I've learned from them and I don't try to force a square peg into a round hole.
I understand completely!

I think this particular heifer is just being a heifer. None of em like being locked in a head gate to begin with. I do hope her skittishness settled down a bit. Goes both ways I guess. Sometimes they settle even more after they calve. And sometimes it's the opposite!

I wish Lannie all the best luck with Molly!
And I do hope she continues to update. Heck sometimes it's not the ending that's the best part. A LOT of times it's the journey....

It's been a nice couple of days I've spent with Molly, not reading all the negative (and imaginative) posts here. Sweet Pea turns out to be the "bad actor" in this story, but I'm not blaming her, because she doesn't know any better yet. It dawned on me a couple days ago, so I ran Sweet Pea into the pen, and Molly behaves just fine while she's alone in the barn. She goes in the stanchion and I brush her and she's calm and everything is fine. When Sweet Pea is with her, she keeps herding Molly away, like she's afraid of me or the barn, whatever. And when one cow yells "danger!" they all run. You know that. That's to be expected, though, because Sweet Pea's never been handled. But Molly is fine with me by herself, so I'll just bring her in and shut the door when we're doing morning chores and feeding, at least until Sweet Pea is better acclimated. When I've got Sweet Pea standing still for full-body brushing, then they can comingle while I'm feeding Molly and doing chores.

And I never said Molly "suddenly rushed backward" out of the stanchion. Where in the world did you get that idea? And she won't kick the milk bucket over because I don't USE a milk bucket. Someone is making up stories to spin up more drama. I said she STEPPED back to see what a noise was. One step, so she could pull her head out and look behind her. You would, too. I don't have her locked in yet, so she can come and go as she pleases. Right now, she pleases to stay and eat.

Anyway, getting her away from Sweet Pea, just for an hour, she's a different cow. She's MUCH calmer than she was before she jumped the fence, even. And, she's learned to tilt her head to get her horns back out of the headlock without bumping them. I knew she would. She just needed time to figure it out. So she's extremely unlikely to "break a horn and hurt me." Sweet Pea will realize after a bit that there's nothing to fear here, and she'll calm down, too. She has a very calm personality, she's just not 100% trusting of people yet. Curious, for sure, just not that trusting.

I'm not going to come back to this thread, because all the negativity really brings me down. I'm a happy person. I love cows. I love MY cow. I actually do know what I'm doing, and I have the time and the inclination to do it. And it's not like I searched Molly out of a herd for sale. She was given to me by a friend when I lost my Cricket. She's a gift of love, and even if she turned into the most horrible monster on the planet, she would still have a home here. But she's not a horrible monster, she's a sweet young girl, and we will have many happy years together. I understand those of you with large herds wouldn't want to put any extra effort into one animal, but my situation is not your situation. My herd is one right now. Well, two, if you count the loaner heifer.

Please note, I have asked NO questions. I just wanted to clarify a few things.

It's been a nice couple of days I've spent with Molly, not reading all the negative (and imaginative) posts here. Sweet Pea turns out to be the "bad actor" in this story, but I'm not blaming her, because she doesn't know any better yet. It dawned on me a couple days ago, so I ran Sweet Pea into the pen, and Molly behaves just fine while she's alone in the barn. She goes in the stanchion and I brush her and she's calm and everything is fine. When Sweet Pea is with her, she keeps herding Molly away, like she's afraid of me or the barn, whatever. And when one cow yells "danger!" they all run. You know that. That's to be expected, though, because Sweet Pea's never been handled. But Molly is fine with me by herself, so I'll just bring her in and shut the door when we're doing morning chores and feeding, at least until Sweet Pea is better acclimated. When I've got Sweet Pea standing still for full-body brushing, then they can comingle while I'm feeding Molly and doing chores.

And I never said Molly "suddenly rushed backward" out of the stanchion. Where in the world did you get that idea? And she won't kick the milk bucket over because I don't USE a milk bucket. Someone is making up stories to spin up more drama. I said she STEPPED back to see what a noise was. One step, so she could pull her head out and look behind her. You would, too. I don't have her locked in yet, so she can come and go as she pleases. Right now, she pleases to stay and eat.

Anyway, getting her away from Sweet Pea, just for an hour, she's a different cow. She's MUCH calmer than she was before she jumped the fence, even. And, she's learned to tilt her head to get her horns back out of the headlock without bumping them. I knew she would. She just needed time to figure it out. So she's extremely unlikely to "break a horn and hurt me." Sweet Pea will realize after a bit that there's nothing to fear here, and she'll calm down, too. She has a very calm personality, she's just not 100% trusting of people yet. Curious, for sure, just not that trusting.

I'm not going to come back to this thread, because all the negativity really brings me down. I'm a happy person. I love cows. I love MY cow. I actually do know what I'm doing, and I have the time and the inclination to do it. And it's not like I searched Molly out of a herd for sale. She was given to me by a friend when I lost my Cricket. She's a gift of love, and even if she turned into the most horrible monster on the planet, she would still have a home here. But she's not a horrible monster, she's a sweet young girl, and we will have many happy years together. I understand those of you with large herds wouldn't want to put any extra effort into one animal, but my situation is not your situation. My herd is one right now. Well, two, if you count the loaner heifer.

Please note, I have asked NO questions. I just wanted to clarify a few things.
Well, I hate it for ya.

Latest posts