My new 270 winchester

Help Support CattleToday:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Well my new toy arrived home, it's a custom mauser im 270 win. done by a local gunsmith.

Hope you enjoy the pictures, at least this thing doesn't has udders :lol:

ri5.jpg

ri7.jpg

ri10.jpg

ri17.jpg

ri16.jpg

ri19.jpg

ri20.jpg

L

Lorenzo that is a fine looking rifle. Thanks for the udder remark my wife thinks I am crazy for laughing so hard at the computer.

I also would like to know if that is a commercial Mauser or one of the converted military Mausers. We have seen a lot of Argentenian and Mexican Mausers here.

I am very impressed with the custom bolt handle, your gunsmith did a great job on it.

Do you know what kind of barrel he used and also what brand of trigger. I am curious if they use American made components or European.

The wood is beautiful as is the checkering. Do you know the source of the walnut. It looks like, maybe Turkish.

It has only one flaw as far as I am concerned. The bolt is on the wrong side.

Hi my friend,

It was done in an argentinean action but (I am not an expert) one from a small replacement bunch that Mauser sent to Argentina that I was told were really good. At least that was what I was told but who knows.. :roll:

The barrel is a Shilen. Here we use many germans barrels mostly Lothar Walther but this was an american one.

The stock was taken from an uruguayan walnut, they are not indigenous from here, just like the eucalypthus, so I don't know the origin of that specific specie, but the tree was cut here.

I have changed the scope and put on it a Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50 Zenith model with german n°4 reticle.

I bought 6 boxes of Remington Premiuim ammo with 140 grains Swift A- Frame bullets, so I am ready... :cowboy:

I am like crazy to try it, I am daydreaming with the next red stag rut in Argentina. I know it's enough but sometimes when hunting there is not such thing as a perfect broadside shot and I know the 270 will be on the light side. this is the only concern I have about it, but I will love to bag a red stag with that rifle.

They are much smaller than elk, a big red can reach 250 kilos max. (500 lbs?).
How much an elk can weight ??

Regards
L

I promise I will post pictures from the target once I manage to visit the Shooting Club.
But I was told it shoots better than it looks ;-)

Poor rifle, maybe he should have deserve a better owner than me, I can only promise him scratches on the wood and rust on the barrel, with some missing shots now and then... :roll:

But I also promise him some good memories of bush, dust and campfires with some venison now and then to fill the fridge...

I think he will pefer his new life rather than sitting in a gun safe for several years without seeing the sun as he has been till today. What a sinn !!!

L

Lorenzo":3rmw3e8t said:
I promise I will post pictures from the target once I manage to visit the Shooting Club.
But I was told it shoots better than it looks ;-)

Poor rifle, maybe he should have deserve a better owner than me, I can only promise him scratches on the wood and rust on the barrel, with some missing shots now and then... :roll:

But I also promise him some good memories of bush, dust and campfires with some venison now and then to fill the fridge...

I think he will pefer his new life rather than sitting in a gun safe for several years without seeing the sun as he has been till today. What a sinn !!!

L
I once a Weatherby O/U with presentation wood and fancy engraving. After almost killing myself a number of times trying to protect the stupid rifle and getting me all banged up, I sold it and bought something more servicable for me. Last gun I ever had with pretty wood. Most of mine now look like they were made from 2X6 lumber

Lorenzo":3dw0qqvn said:
Hi my friend,

It was done in an argentinean action but (I am not an expert) one from a small replacement bunch that Mauser sent to Argentina that I was told were really good. At least that was what I was told but who knows.. :roll:

The barrel is a Shilen. Here we use many germans barrels mostly Lothar Walther but this was an american one.

The stock was taken from an uruguayan walnut, they are not indigenous from here, just like the eucalypthus, so I don't know the origin of that specific specie, but the tree was cut here.

I have changed the scope and put on it a Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50 Zenith model with german n°4 reticle.

I bought 6 boxes of Remington Premiuim ammo with 140 grains Swift A- Frame bullets, so I am ready... :cowboy:

I am like crazy to try it, I am daydreaming with the next red stag rut in Argentina. I know it's enough but sometimes when hunting there is not such thing as a perfect broadside shot and I know the 270 will be on the light side. this is the only concern I have about it, but I will love to bag a red stag with that rifle.

They are much smaller than elk, a big red can reach 250 kilos max. (500 lbs?).
How much an elk can weight ??

Regards
L

Lorenzo after hearing what the components are on this rifle I am even more impresed that before it's not just pretty it should be very functional.
You will like the Swift A-frames. That is the bullet I shoot in my 270WSM 130's for Light game and 140's for ELK. The Shilen barrel should be a good one for you. I would caution you one thing. I could be wrong but that trigger looks like the original Mauser. Make sure the trigger pull is crisp and as light as you are somfortable with. I usually go 4 pounds on my hunting rifles. I would like much less but then they are just not safe. Except for the Savages.

I am VERY impressed that you topped it with the Schmidt and Bender. That is a magnificent Scope. I especially like the German #4 Reticle , it gives you fast target aquisition.

You are a good guy to rescue it from the gun safe. Just remember the first scratch is always the hardest. After that they just add character. Buena suerte Amigo

Latest posts