My neighbor says my cows are too fat

Help Support CattleToday:

Hamiam

Reaction score
I told my neighbor that I'm concerned about how thin his cows are. I can't help but notice when they greet me at the fence twice a day to beg for food as I'm feeding my herd. He told me that my cows are fat. I'd like to see what y'all think. Right now I have 5 nursing cows & I don't think they are fat. I have to admit that I'm not great at the body condition scoring yet.

Attachments

• 0E4F91D0-2408-45D2-9B8F-2B86C560AA52.jpeg
    0E4F91D0-2408-45D2-9B8F-2B86C560AA52.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 52
  • 197F97E6-340D-4F41-9890-58CE07FCA382.jpeg
    197F97E6-340D-4F41-9890-58CE07FCA382.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 49
  • 590EC4E0-5302-4F80-9945-738A18DEA9D6.jpeg
    590EC4E0-5302-4F80-9945-738A18DEA9D6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
From the pictures your cows are in good condition. About where they should be coming out of winter, they could put weight on and still not be fat.

Those cows look ok to me, it's kinda hard to tell from the pictures. You got any pictures of the neighbors cows?

I drive by a place going to town that most of the cows look emaciated, but sheriff drives by also and their still there.

They look good shape and not too fat to me. I've had several tell me that mine were too fat, i knew they weren't. Some folks have some pretty rough looking cattle through and coming out of winter.
@ccr there are some of those situations around here too, and nothing changes.

Don't post pictures of your neighbor's cows without their consent, not cool(not saying you would). Your cows do not look too fat. The more I give my fat cows, the more they beg, that doesn't mean anything on it's own. If you aren't good at body condition scoring and their cows aren't bone racks that the SPCA should take away it'd probably be best to do as Hank Williams said.

I normally do mind mine own. Problem is I hate seeing animals suffer.
If your primary concern is his animals why lead with pics of your own trying to win your disagreement? If the animals are suffering speak to the neighbor then on to someone who can do something about it if they won't, don't gossip to us about it. We can't do anything. Enjoy the feud.

While there are some cattle herds that do look poorly those are most often the exception and not the rule. There can be extenuating circumstances like a group of thin cows that were recently purchased, with the intention of fattening them up. Sometimes one or two animals in a herd will get down poor looking and others not.
I see a lot of different circumstances and conditions and while some are frustrating, I tend not to get too concerned because there can be mountains made of molehills in anybody's business at times when the whole story isn't known.

His cows may be a lot older than yours. Older cows sometimes show pins/hooks a lot more prominently than younger ones but they breed back fine and produce live calves every year. Probably won't look much different no matter how much they are fed. easy doers.
BCS isn't everything.

I havent seen a fat cow or emaciated cow on this thread yet. If you can see backbone and short ribs due to lack of back fat. Then the owner might get concerned. They arent where I would like them, but look to have age.
Short version: I can't hear Sarah McLachlan singing.

Latest posts