My Mom's recipe for CHUCK WAGON STEAK -- Use Chuck Roast

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
This is a favorite at our house for birthdays, and when we come home to the folks', Mom cooks it for us. Don't know where the recipe originally came from.

3-5 Lb. Boneless Chuck roast
Some flour
1 bottle Kraft regular, old-time BBQ sauce + that empty bottle full of water
1 can beef broth
1 small onion, diced
A little bit of garlic powder
Salt and Pepper (S&P)
Sliced Green Olives (Yup, green olives!) -- a cup or less
Some corn starch (1 Tb. ?)

Serve over mashed or boiled Spuds.

Slash the roast and coat with flour, S&P, and garlic powder. Brown the roast, all sides in a big Dutch Oven or similar pot. Then add the BBQ sauce, water, beef broth, onion, and about 1/4 cup of sliced green olives. Cook covered for several hours, till the meat is starting to fall apart. Remove some of the juices and make gravy by thickening with corn starch, and add the rest of the sliced olives to the gravy. OR Not make gravy, and just add the extra olives into the juices! Then get ready to serve it. Pull out the beef; chunk it or slice it, and serve with the gravy/juices over spuds.

LMK if you try it, and how you liked it! K

Sounds like one of my Mom's recipes...."some" of this and "some" of that, etc. etc. etc. ;-) Sounds good tho especially with "some" wine.

TexasBred -- Yeah, a bit of wine in self while it's cooking!! :)

Actually, I think I mis-quantitied the green olives by about half: 1/2 c. while it's cooking; 1/2 cup in the gravy/sauce. Any way, was always a favorite as I was growing up in a house of 7 munchkins!

I don't know if I could sneak the green olives past hubby.
Maybe blk could be substituted .
I do make an awesome olive cheese bread that he likes ,it has green olives ,jalapeno olives and blk olives . So may have to give this a whirl sometime. :)

My hubby isn't crazy about green olives, either, but he likes this. At least, he doesn't say, "Well, it'll make a turd." He says that about some things! Urggggggh.

This is very similar to my pot roast recipe. Only significant difference is that I use tomato sauce instead of BBQ sauce, and I do mine in the slow cooker after browning. It's one of my husbands favorite meals :)

Kathie in Thorp":2lf50fd3 said:
My hubby isn't crazy about green olives, either, but he likes this. At least, he doesn't say, "Well, it'll make a turd." He says that about some things! Urggggggh.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Steaks are the easiest to prepare among all meats. Tomorrow, my friends are going to visit my home and I make something special in dinner. I think steak is special for dinner because it is not something that we eat every night.

recipes for steak

Latest posts