my mini cow is losing her hair

Help Support CattleToday:

cow cow 592

Reaction score
my miniture cow is losing quite a bit of hair. When i pet her her hair falls out. Culd it me she is just shedding her winter caot? pleas help

cow cow 592":32cygky4 said:
my miniture cow is losing quite a bit of hair. When i pet her her hair falls out. Culd it me she is just shedding her winter caot? pleas help

How much hair are we talking here? Does she have bald patches? If she has bald spots, are they smooth skin, crusty or are there raised circular spots? Is she rubbing or scratching on fences, posts, you, etc? Could be simple shedding, could be lice or it could be something else.

cow cow 592":32cygky4 said:

Suspect lice - have you treated for this?

Have you asked your veterinarian?

Need a bit of info for a better answer - seeing bald patches and seeing the animal lick certain areas hard?

Bez!

msscamp - good morning - same time same place it seems.

Bez!

she dousnt have bald spots but she just went through like 4 days of shots and wormers. culd it be the treatments she just went thorugh??

oh yeah she dousnt seem to lick or scrach....culd it be pasture rash that was brought up by my brouther. but she lives in a stall she is out in the yard most of the day around baby goats and a zebra. culd the outher animals have somthing to do with it??

Four DAYS of shots and wormers? Have never heard of "pasture rash" (and you say your brother has it?) I do not mean to be unkind, but none of this makes much sense to me...?????

no my brouther does not have it his horse had it but i dont know if cows can even get it . she had a wormer every day for 4 days and on the fourth day she ad 2 shots due to lots of stress from moving from 1 place to anouther. does this help you any??

Gale Seddon":3tv9126b said:
Four DAYS of shots and wormers? Have never heard of "pasture rash" (and you say your brother has it?) I do not mean to be unkind, but none of this makes much sense to me...?????

Have to agree here, 4 Days for Shots???? and never heard of "Pasture Rash", but learn something new every day.

Out of curiosity what shots were given, and was the worming a paste or a pour-on? Do you have some pictures of the mini-cows coat that we could see?

im only 13 i ldont kno specificaly wat kinds of shots they were but the wormers were past i believe sorry but i dont have any pics but her hair loss isnt that tremendous probly about 50-100 folicals of hair. the vets hand were getting irratated when he was touching her to see what was wrong. is thiss helping you any?? :?: :(

cow cow 592":2zedl3aj said:
hello??? any help??? :help:

Hello

It is obvious to me that you are very young.

So, for us to help you - you need to tell us the complete story.

Tell us the age, gender and breed of this mini cow.

Tell us EXACTLY what the symptoms are and when you noticed them.

Tell us EXACTLY how the animal is reacting.

Tell us EXACTLY what medicines it has been receiving and what amounts and over what period of time.

If this animal has been sick - tell us EXACTLY what it was sick with.

Tell us EXACTLY what this animal eats and how often.

Tell us EXACTLY who it shares the living space with.

Has this animal been seen by a veterinarian?

Wil it be seen by a veterinarian?

Now some will get ticked at me for the next few comments - but I am willing to give this kid some help - so - Cow Cow:

Once you have completed the story. Do not send it. PROOF read it. Do not send me short forms like "can ne 1 help?" or "ur" and so on. Try and keep the spelling errors down so I can get a clear picture.

I am probably old enough to be your grandfather and I am old fashioned. Words to me must be spelled out exactly for me to read and understand. It takes me forever to decipher the modern "e-talk" - whenever I run into it, I ignore it and leave - so do many others - so let's stay the old way, ok?

If you want help, you must tell the complete story and you must tell it clearly so all of the old folks here can figure a way to help you - if indeed there is a way at all - otherwise you will not get a clear answer back.

I will be out for a couple of hours - will check back in later today - after feeding our animals. Take care and try to paint us a complete story.

Back to you

Bez!

i have a miniture cow she is a cross between dexter and lowline. She is about a year and 1/2 old. i noticed she is loosing some hair not alot but more than a little last nite. She is acting normal outher than the hair loss.she was given a shot of ivermection, and the safeguard paste over 4 days. she was given an antibiotic by shot but we are unsure whet it was the records are in the barn. the reason she was wormed and had antibiotic was the vet said the stress from being moved around so much might have caused a problem if she was never wormed. this happened about 3 or 4 weeks ago. anyway she eats coastal/t and a hay and has fresh water all day or maybe she goes outs in the pasture for the day.she has her own stall we also have alpaca zebra horse goat.the vet has not been here to look at her hair problem yet.we just noticed it yesterday evening

well, don't know where she is losing hair but if she is Rubbing patches off get some pour on and treat her for lice.

her hair comes out everywhere she is not itching chewing . it is not coming off in patches. thankyou for helping :D

Latest posts