My last update: The close of a chapter in my life

Help Support CattleToday:

I've mentioned before that I'm 76. I'm fortunate enough to be extremely healthy. Have arthritis - everywhere - but doesn't really "hurt" or slow me down. My FEET/ankles are the only pain I deal with, and all in all, that's minor. I say I don't slow down, but with my nephew living with me and works on the farm full time, I don't work nearly as hard as I used to when it was Ken & I. He had a full time job off the farm, so I did the day to day jobs by myself - and we did all the major jobs evenings & weekends.
I was born & raised in the city. I don't think most people born in the country APPRECIATE this lifestyle as much as someone that has both to compare. My family in Rhode Island come here as often as they can. Think about the view we have each and every day - breathtaking if we take the time to look. If I die tomorrow, I have no real regrets - other than if I could have kept my beloved Ken by my side these past 10 years.
Warren - slow down - don't stop! We live a blessed life.
EDIT: I forgot to say - that I FORGET a LOT!!!

Last edited:
82 now and just sold my last three registered cows from our seed stock operation. They'd become pasture pets due to age. Too old to breed them anymore.

I hurt just from walking up. Too many internal issues to mention. All from Agent Orange - Vietnam 1966. VA has me now at 100% combat disabled and say that fixing my knees is probably a non-starter due to length of time for recovery.

Oh well.. I look out the back window at the pastures and fondly remember what was. Out the front sits the experimental macadamia grove or what's left of it after Hurricane Ian... Keep telling myself to get out there and start air-grafting on those that are left. Maybe tomorrow. My 200 trees down to 50...but they are strong ones although leaning over some. The rest, just snapped off at the ground or bent over too far to recover. Sounds like what happens to us after a lifetime of hard work, albeit happy times.

Enjoyed your writing Warren... You have a gift.

Thanks much
Thank you for your service, brother.

82 now and just sold my last three registered cows from our seed stock operation. They'd become pasture pets due to age. Too old to breed them anymore.

I hurt just from walking up. Too many internal issues to mention. All from Agent Orange - Vietnam 1966. VA has me now at 100% combat disabled and say that fixing my knees is probably a non-starter due to length of time for recovery.

Oh well.. I look out the back window at the pastures and fondly remember what was. Out the front sits the experimental macadamia grove or what's left of it after Hurricane Ian... Keep telling myself to get out there and start air-grafting on those that are left. Maybe tomorrow. My 200 trees down to 50...but they are strong ones although leaning over some. The rest, just snapped off at the ground or bent over too far to recover. Sounds like what happens to us after a lifetime of hard work, albeit happy times.

Enjoyed your writing Warren... You have a gift.

Thanks much
I see that @Warren Allison has already said this, but it is worth and deserving of being said again. Thank you for your service. And someone else can say it again and it still won't be enough.

Getting older is tough, glad you made it through and your old horse too Warren. I went to Gainesville yesterday and practiced on my cow horses, a 6 year old and a 4yo, after hurting my back a few years ago and losing my balance due to that I don't know if I can go down the fence anymore. I'm pretty sure I can show in the boxing but down the fence may be a permanent thing of the past which is tough to accept. Like the others mentioned this is getting a little harder ever year, luckily my 2 youngest sons can fix equipment and help. If it wasn't for them I would have had to have sold out as well or let the place grow up and sell hunting leases although I think that would be tougher on me that ranching after so many years of fighting the brush. Good luck to you Warren, hope you do well. Stop by and see me if you're passing by

Getting older is tough, glad you made it through and your old horse too Warren. I went to Gainesville yesterday and practiced on my cow horses, a 6 year old and a 4yo, after hurting my back a few years ago and losing my balance due to that I don't know if I can go down the fence anymore. I'm pretty sure I can show in the boxing but down the fence may be a permanent thing of the past which is tough to accept. Like the others mentioned this is getting a little harder ever year, luckily my 2 youngest sons can fix equipment and help. If it wasn't for them I would have had to have sold out as well or let the place grow up and sell hunting leases although I think that would be tougher on me that ranching after so many years of fighting the brush. Good luck to you Warren, hope you do well. Stop by and see me if you're passing by
Stonewall, sorry about your back. I'm glad your 2 sons have been able to help you. I know that many/most farmers/livestock producers are/can be stubbornly independent, but you might want to check this out in case you would ever need or want to consider it.

www.nifa.usda.gov/grants/programs/farm-safety/agrability

Stonewall, sorry about your back. I'm glad your 2 sons have been able to help you. I know that many/most farmers/livestock producers are/can be stubbornly independent, but you might want to check this out in case you would ever need or want to consider it.

View attachment 31116
Thanks Warren
I appreciate that. In the past year or so since the pain subsided a bit, I've forced myself to work out 3 or 4 times a week and dropped 20 pounds I get around a lot better and can do a lot more, the balance thing was the hardest to deal with. In 2018 before this happened I bought a new Harley and then the back thing happened and the nerves were damaged to my right leg and under a little stress it would collapse so I couldn't ride the bike(only 400 miles on it now) and riding a cow horse was out of the question, on a hard fence turn to the left my right leg would just fold up and you would roll right off. Better now but a long way from 100% but I'm still pushing. My dad just kind of gave up doing anything at about 72 or 73 and he didn't last long after that, Grandad did day work for others til he was almost 80 and then kept on working on his place, he lasted a long time. I'm not ready to permanently lay down yet

There's a sizeable gap between giving it all up to the rocking chair and slowing down and handling what you can manage and having an active lifestyle that just won't kill you. My grandfather died one year and one week or so after he got to where he couldn't do anything. Movement is movement, whether it's for fun or for work.

It was just that I had too many things doing on at the same time. For 30 or more years, I have been running on 3-4 hours sleep per night. A lot of that has to do with the pain from my many injuries, and arthritis the past few years, but a lot of it was also that I just had so much to do each day, that I'd spend from 11 or 12 at night till 3 or 4 in the morning working on the computer, then be back up at 6 or 6:30. Now ,with these heart problems that have come about this last year or so, my doctors are insisting that stress caused it, and that I need more sleep, etc., I just do NOT have the time to sleep that much and keep up with all I have to do. If the Kudzu- Corriente place wasn't 3 hours away, and if Scott was still able, I would have kept that. It was the least troublesome and least work of all my endeavors. And by far the most lucrative. Round up and tag ( cut bull calves) calves in March, Round up and wean them last of August and haul to the sale, and that was all I HAD to do with them. In the past year and a half, I bought those 3 herds for clients and made about $895k. !00;s of hours on the phone and computer...hundreds of miles traveling to go see cows to buy. supervising one client's working facility and barn construction, and spending a lot of time with another showing them how to use horses to work their herds, and teaching them how to keep the horses in working shape. My insurance business which I really scaled back, might have netted $100k. About every thing I do now, is split with other agents. They are my clients...they ask me to help them with complex cases that they don't know how to do. A LOT of time and exhaustive thinking is involved. My music production and promotion does take a lot of time, and last year I may have netted $40-$50k tops. The money I made since 2021 ( when we sold the last 110 claves al born in Feb) and selling that 120 cow herd, then last year buying 120 more to get back in it...then selling them...then buying ANOTHER 125 or so since January, and selling THEM.. I made 3 or 4 times what I did with those other endeavors put together. And basically zero work, except for that marathon trip to El Paso at the first of the year.

I keep a short list of the bones I have NOT broken in my life to give to doctors...all due to moto-x and rodeo. But not really, I never got hurt in a race, it was always in practice or just playing around with dirt bikes. Never got hurt in rodeo,, always, again, in practice, or working cattle for OTHER people. Or training OTHER peoples horses. Just like last week when I almost killed myself and Smoke, it was working cattle for other people that has added to my injuries in the past decade.

So all of this is to say, I ain't ;laying down and quitting by any means. I will be working Smoke each week at team roping, and riding the younger horse once a week or so doing cowboy mounted shooting. And I usually take both to the penning and sorting practices each week. I am keeping a couple of music festivals and bike rallies that I do, but these are so easy for me now. I have put together a hell of a production team, that last month one 4 -day event went over without a hitch and I wasn't even there. Selling the insurance business, but they are going to put me on a salary plus commission bonus to consult with them. In the next few months I will wrap up a project I have been working on for a few years. I have been helping a documentary film maker create `a documentary about Rodney Mills and Studio one, Lynyrd Skynyrd , ARS, and others. And I start doing a podcast next Monday with the same guy, featuring talent from Georgia every week. These are FUN...not stressful work. The only hay I will fool with is the original 8 acre bermuda field on my grandfather's old home place. 95% of that is bought in the field by repeat customers... I will just put up enough for my horses and the practice steers. There are about 10-12 of us that do this roping every week. Each person is supposed to supply 3 steers, and each person is to share in the feeding. but, nearly half of them are mine, and there are a couple of young boys that don't have the money to buy steers or help pay for the feed, so they get up the hay I keep for myself. So, I have drastically cut down on my time and physical work.

I tell you though, if pasture land was affordable to buy or rent around here, I would get back in the Corriente business if I could within 30 mins of the house. I will miss that easy money!

It was just that I had too many things doing on at the same time. For 30 or more years, I have been running on 3-4 hours sleep per night. A lot of that has to do with the pain from my many injuries, and arthritis the past few years, but a lot of it was also that I just had so much to do each day, that I'd spend from 11 or 12 at night till 3 or 4 in the morning working on the computer, then be back up at 6 or 6:30. Now ,with these heart problems that have come about this last year or so, my doctors are insisting that stress caused it, and that I need more sleep, etc., I just do NOT have the time to sleep that much and keep up with all I have to do. If the Kudzu- Corriente place wasn't 3 hours away, and if Scott was still able, I would have kept that. It was the least troublesome and least work of all my endeavors. And by far the most lucrative. Round up and tag ( cut bull calves) calves in March, Round up and wean them last of August and haul to the sale, and that was all I HAD to do with them. In the past year and a half, I bought those 3 herds for clients and made about $895k. !00;s of hours on the phone and computer...hundreds of miles traveling to go see cows to buy. supervising one client's working facility and barn construction, and spending a lot of time with another showing them how to use horses to work their herds, and teaching them how to keep the horses in working shape. My insurance business which I really scaled back, might have netted $100k. About every thing I do now, is split with other agents. They are my clients...they ask me to help them with complex cases that they don't know how to do. A LOT of time and exhaustive thinking is involved. My music production and promotion does take a lot of time, and last year I may have netted $40-$50k tops. The money I made since 2021 ( when we sold the last 110 claves al born in Feb) and selling that 120 cow herd, then last year buying 120 more to get back in it...then selling them...then buying ANOTHER 125 or so since January, and selling THEM.. I made 3 or 4 times what I did with those other endeavors put together. And basically zero work, except for that marathon trip to El Paso at the first of the year.

I keep a short list of the bones I have NOT broken in my life to give to doctors...all due to moto-x and rodeo. But not really, I never got hurt in a race, it was always in practice or just playing around with dirt bikes. Never got hurt in rodeo,, always, again, in practice, or working cattle for OTHER people. Or training OTHER peoples horses. Just like last week when I almost killed myself and Smoke, it was working cattle for other people that has added to my injuries in the past decade.

So all of this is to say, I ain't ;laying down and quitting by any means. I will be working Smoke each week at team roping, and riding the younger horse once a week or so doing cowboy mounted shooting. And I usually take both to the penning and sorting practices each week. I am keeping a couple of music festivals and bike rallies that I do, but these are so easy for me now. I have put together a hell of a production team, that last month one 4 -day event went over without a hitch and I wasn't even there. Selling the insurance business, but they are going to put me on a salary plus commission bonus to consult with them. In the next few months I will wrap up a project I have been working on for a few years. I have been helping a documentary film maker create `a documentary about Rodney Mills and Studio one, Lynyrd Skynyrd , ARS, and others. And I start doing a podcast next Monday with the same guy, featuring talent from Georgia every week. These are FUN...not stressful work. The only hay I will fool with is the original 8 acre bermuda field on my grandfather's old home place. 95% of that is bought in the field by repeat customers... I will just put up enough for my horses and the practice steers. There are about 10-12 of us that do this roping every week. Each person is supposed to supply 3 steers, and each person is to share in the feeding. but, nearly half of them are mine, and there are a couple of young boys that don't have the money to buy steers or help pay for the feed, so they get up the hay I keep for myself. So, I have drastically cut down on my time and physical work.

I tell you though, if pasture land was affordable to buy or rent around here, I would get back in the Corriente business if I could within 30 mins of the house. I will miss that easy money!
Warren, do you hog hunt any?

You are a busy man sir.
I enjoy your updates and the knowledge that you have acquired over the years.
I have been contemplating the same, a bad back, enlarged prostate, diabetes and age is starting to take a toll.
I planned on trimming limbs today along the fence lines in the hay meadows but the heat and humidity made me back out.
A few years ago I would have been chomping at the bit to get it done, I wish I had all the equipment and land when I was young.
I never slept much and still don't.
I still enjoy doing things and even if I turn it over to my son's I know I will still have to do a lot of things.
" hey pops can you do this and that for me"
So I might as well stay engaged for a while, good lord willing.
Good luck to you Mr. WA. In what ever your decision is.

You are a busy man sir.
I enjoy your updates and the knowledge that you have acquired over the years.
I have been contemplating the same, a bad back, enlarged prostate, diabetes and age is starting to take a toll.
I planned on trimming limbs today along the fence lines in the hay meadows but the heat and humidity made me back out.
A few years ago I would have been chomping at the bit to get it done, I wish I had all the equipment and land when I was young.
I never slept much and still don't.
I still enjoy doing things and even if I turn it over to my son's I know I will still have to do a lot of things.
" hey pops can you do this and that for me"
So I might as well stay engaged for a while, good lord willing.
Good luck to you Mr. WA. In what ever your decision is.
Oh, if we had that 223 acres in improved pasture, with well maintained fences, running regular beef cattle that needed vaccinating, worming, calves pulled, and fed in winter, then I would have gotten out long ago. We had the Corr herd calving in February and in March we would round them up....horsesback...ear tag them and cut the bulll calves. I would rope and Scott would band and tag. Around Easter, we'd put the bulls in ......enough for 1 bull per 20 cows. so 5 or 6. Memorial Day weekend we'd get those bulls out and put our Corr bull in for clean=up. Last of August,right before the dove shoot, we rounded then up again and carried the calves to the sale. When ever Scott had gotten in his corn, beans, cotton, peanuts...whatever he had planted, we'd herd them across the road and put them on his 400 acres of row crop residue and the 50 acre dove field. Last of January or 1st of Marche, we'd herd them back across to the Kudzu pasture before calving. Other, than that, we never touched them. Or even saw them .really. LIke I said, if I could get land that like around here close, I might would buy another herd and keep doing it. But, my contact in Chihuahua that I have been buying cows from and selling Chianina bulls to for the last 300 years or so, was killed a couple of months ago . I was kinda looking forward to seeing how the calves did from the 1/2 and 3/4 Mexican Fighting Cattle did. I was thinking the calves out of them and by our black bulls would be a little stockier with more butt, Oh welll, the dude that bought them can send me pics.

Oh, if we had that 223 acres in improved pasture, with well maintained fences, running regular beef cattle that needed vaccinating, worming, calves pulled, and fed in winter, then I would have gotten out long ago. We had the Corr herd calving in February and in March we would round them up....horsesback...ear tag them and cut the bulll calves. I would rope and Scott would band and tag. Around Easter, we'd put the bulls in ......enough for 1 bull per 20 cows. so 5 or 6. Memorial Day weekend we'd get those bulls out and put our Corr bull in for clean=up. Last of August,right before the dove shoot, we rounded then up again and carried the calves to the sale. When ever Scott had gotten in his corn, beans, cotton, peanuts...whatever he had planted, we'd herd them across the road and put them on his 400 acres of row crop residue and the 50 acre dove field. Last of January or 1st of Marche, we'd herd them back across to the Kudzu pasture before calving. Other, than that, we never touched them. Or even saw them .really. LIke I said, if I could get land that like around here close, I might would buy another herd and keep doing it. But, my contact in Chihuahua that I have been buying cows from and selling Chianina bulls to for the last 300 years or so, was killed a couple of months ago . I was kinda looking forward to seeing how the calves did from the 1/2 and 3/4 Mexican Fighting Cattle did. I was thinking the calves out of them and by our black bulls would be a little stockier with more butt, Oh welll, the dude that bought them can send me pics.
I seen a corriente looking bull at one of our sale barns recently, it was muscled up like the Michelin man, I was thinking that might be a a MFB?

I seen a corriente looking bull at one of our sale barns recently, it was muscled up like the Michelin man, I was thinking that might be a a MFB?
Very well could be. Their horns tend to be very uniform in shape, growing out then turning up and forward. There are several Corriente horn shapes, like there are with Longhorns. Those MFB and part MFB cows don;' cost much more, oif any, than Corrientes do down there, so I thought I would try some in our operation, to get a stockier more muscled calf, Did you see how much that bull brought?

Very well could be. Their horns tend to be very uniform in shape, growing out then turning up and forward. There are several Corriente horn shapes, like there are with Longhorns. Those MFB and part MFB cows don;' cost much more, oif any, than Corrientes do down there, so I thought I would try some in our operation, to get a stockier more muscled calf, Did you see how much that bull brought?
No I didn't.

So, I have drastically cut down on my time and physical work.
Well whoop-te-do! If you call going from 80 hours a week (90 on weeks you fool with the hay) alllll the way down to about 70 hours a week ( about 80 on the weeks you fool with hay) a drastic reduction, then I reckon you have cut down a little on the time, at least. Man, I wish you would semi-retire. I enjoyed the hell out of taking that jackpot money tonight. If you or Smoke either one still haven't recovered from the wreck, you sure couldn't tell it tonight! I'd like to do about 3 or 4 of these a week. Why don't you cut it on back to about 30 hours a week and let's do it!

I saw this online while ago, and it made me think of you. I sent it to your FB, too. https://www.godshorsebackgospel.com/daily-poem/miss

Well whoop-te-do! If you call going from 80 hours a week (90 on weeks you fool with the hay) alllll the way down to about 70 hours a week ( about 80 on the weeks you fool with hay) a drastic reduction, then I reckon you have cut down a little on the time, at least. Man, I wish you would semi-retire. I enjoyed the hell out of taking that jackpot money tonight. If you or Smoke either one still haven't recovered from the wreck, you sure couldn't tell it tonight! I'd like to do about 3 or 4 of these a week. Why don't you cut it on back to about 30 hours a week and let's do it!
IF I get this business sold the way I want to sell it, I just might quit it all, move to the panhandle and buy a charter boat or two!! I could get into getting paid to go fishing! You can move down too. We'd eventually get you a captain's license and you could run the offshore one. You'd have to start out as a deck hand.,,..baiting hooks, You wouldn't make much as an apprentice baiter, but when you moved to journeyman baiter, the pay is better. Knowing you like I do, though, I bet it wouldn't be no time til you became a master baiter!~

IF I get this business sold the way I want to sell it, I just might quit it all, move to the panhandle and buy a charter boat or two!! I could get into getting paid to go fishing! You can move down too. We'd eventually get you a captain's license and you could run the offshore one. You'd have to start out as a deck hand.,,..baiting hooks, You wouldn't make much as an apprentice baiter, but when you moved to journeyman baiter, the pay is better. Knowing you like I do, though, I bet it wouldn't be no time til you became a master baiter!~
But what would you name the boats?