My last update: The close of a chapter in my life

Help Support CattleToday:

I just met you! All of you! You may be closing one chapter, but you still have others to write! You are a HUGE wealth of knowledge, experience and stories. I'm not a spring chicken (by my standards, I'm 53. Turning 54 on the 26th). You lead a life I only get to flirt with as an 'academic', but absolutely am always looking for more every time I get a taste of it. You have been and are blessed, and I consider and will continue to consider each of you a valuable individual and resource. Go spend some time with your great grandson.

I spent the summer of 1988 at Fort Jackson for basic training, and my AIT at Fort Gordon. I still don't know how you guys from the south and put up with all that humidity. I find that I have have to drink more water than I used to. I think as we get older it is easier to get dehydrated. Dad passed out on us Saturday while we were branding calves, and he was doing was keeping track of the count, nothing really strenuous, but he is 87. I think that was a factor in him passing out, even though it was only momentary. I had a great crew, they took over while I got dad to the ER. Ended up calling for an ambulance and they put a IV in him; he was ready to go back to home by the time they got him to the ER, but they would not let him go until the did all their test. The day here was overcast, and not really all that warm, but it is still pretty easy to get dehydrated.

Our brains say we can do it, but our bodies say hold up Jack you are no longer so young. There is nothing wrong with slowing down, but I do think it is important to have something to do; keep the body and the mind active. My grandfather always said that he had friends that once they reached retirement age they were going to get a rocking chair and not do anything. He outlive them all, he was always doing something, tinkering in his garage, or building something.
My dad retired after working 45 years, he sat in a rocker for hours a day and was dead 13 months later, had a heart attack. He was only 63. He started working for Ohio Power Co. when he was 17and stayed for 45 years.

A secret to physical work when you're older is to take breaks, don't just continuously power through the day. Sit in the shade a while, drink something cold. I like a cold Mountain Dew for the caffiene wallop. Some prefer beer but it makes me feel more tired. Another thing, many sit and play on the internet way too much. You don't even realize how much time has passed.

A secret to physical work when you're older is to take breaks, don't just continuously power through the day. Sit in the shade a while, drink something cold. I like a cold Mountain Dew for the caffiene wallop. Some prefer beer but it makes me feel more tired. Another thing, many sit and play on the internet way too much. You don't even realize how much time has passed.
I'm more of a cold water & Gatorade kind of guy but totally agree with taking several short breaks from time to time…especially in this East Texas heat and humidity…as long as I've got something cold to drink, I can work all day until sundown

I'm more of a cold water & Gatorade kind of guy but totally agree with taking several short breaks from time to time…especially in this East Texas heat and humidity…as long as I've got something cold to drink, I can work all day until sundown

You could bite off a piece of Big Thicket air today.

I'll be 67 this December. I mow about 20 yards , look after the cattle and help with the 6 grands . Have about an acre garden . Raked and tethered hay and then loaded and hauled it to the barn on our dump hay trailer . Not bragging just can't imagine having to quit doing what I love ! Thanks for sharing your experience Warren . I'm not a horse guy but I know what an animal like that can come to mean to a man . So glad you didn't lose him ! Spend time with that grand baby and in a couple of weeks you may find yourself back at a cow sale . My two oldest grandsons call every 2-3 weeks and ask to go to Ft Payne sale barn . They are 6 and 3 . They hit the viewing area first and then the snack machines . The cow sale is a short duration and they are ready to go . Good luck with whatever you do and keep those chuckles coming ! 🤠

Heck I take a nap for half hour after lunch, ain't ashamed either. Then pick up speed til close to dinner (I'm the cook here) slow down sip some ice water then start cooking, rest is the key for me, then full speed til 9pm, sack at 10pm, up at 6am, great life me thinks, eh?

When I saw this, I had to get back on here and comment. That was the most emotional day I have ever experienced. Janet swears my grey hairs have doubled these past few days. It all happened so fast, yet it feels like it was all in slow motion. It seemed like an eternity. When I saw her break for the woods, I heard you kiss to Smoke, and my heart jumped to my throat. I knew Smoke would catch her, and I KNEW what would happen if he did. I saw him lay those ears back, and that tail wringing, and I knew I HAD to get another rope on her. But I also knew I didn't have enough horse left to catch her. I could hear Smoke gasping for breath, harder and more labored as he got faster and faster with each stride. But I know there would have been no way you could have gotten him off of her. I have never seen him quit, and I don't think he would have that day. I have seen you and Smoke drag many a 1 ton bull out of the arena when the bull fighters couldn't get him out, but I knew Smoke had nothing left. He was running on pure heart, hell bent on answering your call. Like he always has before. I saw the angle you would have to take to turn her from the woods once you got the rope on her neck, and I knew I was about to see a wreck. He didn't have anything left to slow her and turn her with. When I saw you and him go down, I knew right then my best friend and the best horse that ever lived, were dead. And I almost died myself, even as I was running to you. I could hear Smoke's horrible gasps as he struggled to get air, and heard them getting slower and weaker, but I had my hands full trying to keep you down til we could get an ambulance out. I finally told the others to just turn you lose and let you get up. I knew there was no power on earth, heaven or hell that was gonna keep you from Smoke's side. And I knew you were injured so bad inside, that that would probably be the last thing you ever did. And that was killing me. But looking back on it now, I will forever be grateful to God for allowing me to witness what came next. It broke my heart, and broke everyone else's hearts, when you laid down by him, put an arm over his neck, and told him he could go. I heard the pain in your voice when you told him it was ok to pass on over. But Warren, I SAW his eyes open. I SAW him reach down for the last bit of life he had left. Warren, that magnificent horse fought off Death and came back to YOU! He answered your call as he always has. The rest of us were some more sight to see I bet. Bunch of cowboys standing around crying like a bunch of women. Hell, they'd probably want to put us in a Bud Light commercial!! I have never seen, nor heard tell of, nor read about a bigger bond between man and horse. And I promise you this my friend, swear on my life and the Holy Bible. IF you go on that Last Ride before Smoke, rest assured that if I am still here on earth, he WILL be taken care of as good as you always have taken care of him.

There is no shame in getting old and slowing down, boss. You have nothing left to prove to anybody. You have spent your life taking up and fighting for those who can't fight for themselves. It is time to let others return the favor.
God, you talk too much! The way you write all of this blubbery sh*t, people gonna think you are a sissy!!!! Man, come by the house and I am gonna give you $20, so you can become a CT contributor. Then when you join, you can delete that post! Seriously, though, thanks for all you do. You are the toughest cowboy I know .....for real. And you are welcome for getting to be like that! :)

I wonder, could Smoke ahve been starting to tie up? The greatest mare of my life lived to be 40 and was still ridable (at a walk). She was old but still had that fast road eating walk. Once I started feeding her a complete feed pellet because there wern't much teeth to float. her top line rose up, her flanks filled out and she became as as shiny as a Hershy bar and lived another 10 years. She was also appendix and did not know the meaning of quit. She had the heart and bone structure of the TB with the muscle and mind of a quarter horse. I still keep her white horse bones in a box to be buried with, husband on one side, Tamar on the other.

How's Smoke's teeth and what do you feed him? Heck, still going to athletic events three times a week.

I'm a retired nurse. Everybody eventually gets stove up. How many miles have you put on yourself? They dig up the bones of knights in armor, Roman generals, Atilla's Huns and they all have degenerative lumbar changes from constant riding. An MRI was once done on me and I was honored to see I had those same changes. We got these things from a whole life of riding and accomplishing and adventures, not humped over picking strawberries!

There are good supportive lower back braces people wear under their clothes or on the outside that hold up that downward pressure off the collapsing vertbral disks , that and an ibuprphen and a tylenol. They are different kinds of NSAIDs and they work better together.

Knees thats another thing. When I rode western saddles I noticed the stiffness of the fenders turned my knees and made them ache. On a long ride this was not fun. When I switched to Austrailian saddles not a problem, although you could not rope off one. I'm sure your fenders are pretty well permanently turned. I have to put a stick through mine when on the rack.

Yea all the ranchers are getting old. Where is America going to get the meat? Modern society is going to he LL in a handbasket. Look on the bright side. Eventually the human race will become extinct and the buffalo herds will migrate once again on the plains, horses will be wild and there will be just the sound of birdsong.
Teeth are great for his age, I might not see the dentist every 6 months myself, but he does. He is out 24/7/365 on fescue, orchard grass, timothy, bluegrass, red and white clover pasture. He has access to free choice bermuda hay. He gets a small amount.. little less than a half gallon, of my propietary blend of oats, corn, alfalfa pellets, beet pulp pellets,, BOSS. and crushed alfalfa cubes. This is just a medium for the rice bran oil, wheat germ oil, corn oil; and Red Cell, mineral salts, and 100% biotin crumbles. The biotin and oil is the reason for his slick shiny coat, and solid hooves. Never EVER keeping a horse in a stall, is the reason that I have never EVER had one to colic or crib.

This is truly a wonderful story to share with us.
This better NOT be your last update! You have a true friend in Southerncowboy!
I do indeed. Not just a friend, but a brother. He shares a little bit of personal stuff too much, but when things get bad Clay won't run. Or quit. Or retreat. Or surrender. He will stake down by your side, or on your 6 like a Dog Soldier. Damn, his sissiness is rubbing off on me! I sound as mushy as he does, don't I?

Last edited:
I'll be 67 this December. I mow about 20 yards , look after the cattle and help with the 6 grands . Have about an acre garden . Raked and tethered hay and then loaded and hauled it to the barn on our dump hay trailer . Not bragging just can't imagine having to quit doing what I love ! Thanks for sharing your experience Warren . I'm not a horse guy but I know what an animal like that can come to mean to a man . So glad you didn't lose him ! Spend time with that grand baby and in a couple of weeks you may find yourself back at a cow sale . My two oldest grandsons call every 2-3 weeks and ask to go to Ft Payne sale barn . They are 6 and 3 . They hit the viewing area first and then the snack machines . The cow sale is a short duration and they are ready to go . Good luck with whatever you do and keep those chuckles coming ! 🤠
Warren definitely will find himself back at a cow sale sooner or later. Case in point, he said he's been trying to 'hang it up' for 6 years now. Old habits die hard and quitting cold turkey usually doesn't work. I'm hoping he will slow down some as he's earned it, but to up and quit everything at once, one cannot effective do that. It has the same effect as losing a life long partner. Simply quitting would be very emotional and stressful in itself.

82 now and just sold my last three registered cows from our seed stock operation. They'd become pasture pets due to age. Too old to breed them anymore.

I hurt just from walking up. Too many internal issues to mention. All from Agent Orange - Vietnam 1966. VA has me now at 100% combat disabled and say that fixing my knees is probably a non-starter due to length of time for recovery.

Oh well.. I look out the back window at the pastures and fondly remember what was. Out the front sits the experimental macadamia grove or what's left of it after Hurricane Ian... Keep telling myself to get out there and start air-grafting on those that are left. Maybe tomorrow. My 200 trees down to 50...but they are strong ones although leaning over some. The rest, just snapped off at the ground or bent over too far to recover. Sounds like what happens to us after a lifetime of hard work, albeit happy times.

Enjoyed your writing Warren... You have a gift.

Thanks much

Y'all fess up. Am I the only one getting a little teary eyed?

No. I was having trouble reading, it was soooo blurry. Then Clay made me cry.

I'm glad to know there are still people like Warren and his good friend Clay in the world. And horses like Smoke. One in a million.

Warren definitely will find himself back at a cow sale sooner or later. Case in point, he said he's been trying to 'hang it up' for 6 years now. Old habits die hard and quitting cold turkey usually doesn't work. I'm hoping he will slow down some as he's earned it, but to up and quit everything at once, one cannot effective do that. It has the same effect as losing a life long partner. Simply quitting would be very emotional and stressful in itself.
Well, he said he's keeping some to rope. If he gets to itching for a mess of cow trouble I'll just go cut his fences for him and honk a klaxon horn at them a few times.

I hurt just from walking up. Too many internal issues to mention. All from Agent Orange - Vietnam 1966. VA has me now at 100% combat disabled

I need to go sign up and apply but always thought the younger guys coming back from Iraq/Afghanistan need VA care more than my old wornout ass does.
I have ischemic heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, & hypertension. 3 of the VA's 11 AO caused presumptive illnesses.

I'm closer to 72 than 71 and have the normal pains and low energy from an active working life and low RBC. I have a small garden, mainly because the wife puts up sweetcorn in the freezer and canning tomatoes and cucumbers. I sold 12 of my home raised herd last fall due to lack of hay and kept the bull and three cows to start building again. Got two bull calves so far and one more due in the next week or so. During the drought years I was maxed out for pasture and in normal years I can keep 20+. I bought a used skid steer a month ago to help put out round bales next winter, in the past I have used a wood skid with runners and pulled the rounds out with my plow truck, but I am going to build a couple fence line hay feeders for the rounds for this winter and the skid steer to load them. Rain is scarce this year so far and hopefully I will get enough bales on the first cutting to last over winter. I haven't been getting more than one cutting for the last two years and I let the cows out in the hay field late summer to gaze until it snows. I'm like most on this site and have worked my entire life and need something to keep me going and this seems to be just right for me. Came up with a heart flutter this past winter and have meds to help control it. I don't notice the flutter when I'm busy around the place and just in the middle of the night! So doc said to keep active but not overdo it. Life has been good to me so far.