My house is a greenhouse...

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
As usual, I have once again gotten carried away starting seeds. I had columbines galore, then, it rained for 2 days straight, so all the traded seeds I had went into trays, now I have petunias, cosmos, salpiglossis, and many other varieties of flowers coming out of my ears :roll: . But, to top this off, I went and started a bunch of tomatoes and peppers, now, I have about 50 tomato plants, and probably 30+ pepper plants :help: . Of course, this still wasn't enough, so I started every seed I had of Cantaloupe, Honeydew, Watermelon, 4 kinds of squash, 2 kinds of cucumber and of course pumpkin. Those are under lights since all my windows are overfull. I sure hope that all my friends are looking for some plants, cause they're going to get them...... :shock: :D :D

Good grief! :shock: :shock: I hope your friends want plants, too, otherwise you're not going to have a spare moment for tending to plants! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is there some special trick for successfully growing columbines? I've tried on a couple of different occasions and didn't have any luck.

You might need cold stratify them. Some varieties need cold to germinate. I just put them in plastic baggies with a wet paper towel this year, and had tons of them start. To cold stratify, all you need to do is sow the seeds, and then put the pot/tray in the fridge for 3-4 weeks. Then, give them about 14 days or so in a warm area, and you should have seedlings starting. Here are a couple links to seed germination sites

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page03.html
http://gardensnorth.com/site/Big%20Gree ... bottom.htm

i'm rooting hydrangeas and sweetpotato vines (the ornamental kind) right now. also have cultured some sago palms and cardboard palms. put my pineapple outside to live and i think it got a sunburn, oops. been potting some tree seedlings for landscaping purposes later on. mostly live oaks, cypress, and longleaf pine. my old fashioned petunias have been blooming for months--they lived thru the entire winter which is kind of weird.

Beefy":2r96uczj said:
i'm rooting hydrangeas and sweetpotato vines (the ornamental kind) right now. also have cultured some sago palms and cardboard palms. put my pineapple outside to live and i think it got a sunburn, oops. been potting some tree seedlings for landscaping purposes later on. mostly live oaks, cypress, and longleaf pine. my old fashioned petunias have been blooming for months--they lived thru the entire winter which is kind of weird.

Wow, those sound interesting. I have a sweet potato vine in the house that I rooted last summer. They are one of the easiest plants to root :shock: . It is just a shoot off of a sweet potato from the store, but it looks nice. I have started some Forest Gardenia seeds, and some Passion Flower seeds. These will be houseplants here, at least for most of the year :( . Pretty much all the plants you describe just won't make it up here. Are the trees for your yard, or for other people?

As for the petunias, they do quite well here in the summer, but unless they are brought inside for the winter the first few frosts will take care of them. They sure are tough though :D :D

the trees are for both.
i am also rooting gardenias and camelias, i forgot about those. PASSIONFLOWERS?! talk about a noxious weed...
anybody got a pomegranite tree? how bout sugarcane?

Beefy":todlgjbc said:
the trees are for both.
i am also rooting gardenias and camelias, i forgot about those. PASSIONFLOWERS?! talk about a noxious weed...

Well, If they take over the house, then I'm in trouble :shock: :shock: . They won't be a problem here unless they suddenly become hardy to zone 3 ;-) . But I do know what you are talking about!!

Gardenias and Camelias, now I'm gonna have to check the camelias out, never thought of trying them. Gotta remember though that my house isn't as big as my EYES :D :D

randiliana":zby3x25u said:
Beefy":zby3x25u said:
the trees are for both.

Well, If they take over the house, then I'm in trouble :shock: :shock: . They won't be a problem here unless they suddenly become hardy to zone 3 ;-) . But I do know what you are talking about!!

Gardenias and Camelias, now I'm gonna have to check the camelias out, never thought of trying them. Gotta remember though that my house isn't as big as my EYES :D :D

Where do you find the time to do all that?

Gail

GMN":17oh11d1 said:
Where do you find the time to do all that?

Gail

Well, you gotta remember that there are 24 hours in a day ;-) , but honestly I enjoy it and make the time. It just takes a few minutes here and there, except when you are planting, or starting them, then it is just maintenance :D So I do the planting and anything that takes more than a few minutes on rainy days...

msscamp we have the best luck finding some native columbine to get seed from and sow where you want it. Then just letting it reseed.

beefy did you ever get your pineapple to flower?

I'm glad these aren't a problem here. I like the blooms.
PassionFlowerjpg.jpg

dj":k9knc7wh said:
msscamp we have the best luck finding some native columbine to get seed from and sow where you want it. Then just letting it reseed.

That is an excellent idea! I'm not 100% sure columbine in native to Wyoming, but I can sure find out! ;-) I know it's native to Colorado, and my sister lives there and loves 'day trips'. :lol: :lol: Thanks, dj! :D

no, i forgot all about that until just now. it should just be happy i remembered to bring it in this winter, lol.

Latest posts