My Home Town

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
After doing chores today, I took some photos of our town. Its not big, but we have a grocery store, where we can get most of our cooking needs and some basic vet supplies. A co-op where we can get most of what we need to operate on the farm/ranch, including posts, lumber and bagged feed. A post office, a church, a rink turned riding arena. The school no longer operates, but is owned privately, and a young family lives there. There's also a couple museums and an elevator, which is now owned by my father and uncle.

Yes, it all fits into 1 photo!!
xy_DSC01377.jpg

xy_DSC01379.jpg

xy_DSC01385.jpg

The Museum
xy_DSC01387.jpg

We no longer have a railway going through town, haven't for several years. Everything gets trucked out, grain has to travel at least an hour to the nearest terminals. But we do boast a Caboose!!
xy_DSC01386.jpg

Really is neat seeing all your pictures today, I was going to reply to the other one about the fire wood but I'll put it here. If I lived where you do by this time of year I would have the house ringed all the way around by wood. Dadgum it looks cold there.

That looks very familiar Randiliana.. :lol:

Our mailing address is actually to the village ,not a town, we have 2 grocery stores, 2 liquor stores, one gas station, we just got a hardware store and we have a small hotel and cafe and bar. One thing about our village is that it is a major industrial zone and we even have a company that has a major contract with NASA. We still have a train that goes through but the feed mill closed down when the new regs came into place. The big city where I grew up in, that has everything imaginable, is only 30 km`s away.

Great pics thanks for sharing.

We are going to be in Maple Creek around Christmas to get our puppy, if it was closer we would drop on by.. :tiphat:

I don't know Angus, they don't get a whole lot smaller than this. Don't think that there are 50 people in town ;-)

Well, it is s bit chilly today. We've got the woodstove going pretty good. Don't have quite that much wood cut though :lol2:

Well, town is stretching it a bit HD. Hamlet is more accurate. But it has all the necessities so that's all that matters.

Maple Creek is a fair ways from us, a good 3 hours. Maybe sometime we will meet up though. Just as a bit of xtra knowledge, we live just down the road from Dale's sister.... Good luck with your puppy!!

randiliana":2f7qhjdu said:
I don't know Angus, they don't get a whole lot smaller than this. Don't think that there are 50 people in town ;-)

Well, it is s bit chilly today. We've got the woodstove going pretty good. Don't have quite that much wood cut though :lol2:

Well, town is stretching it a bit HD. Hamlet is more accurate. But it has all the necessities so that's all that matters.

Maple Creek is a fair ways from us, a good 3 hours. Maybe sometime we will meet up though. Just as a bit of xtra knowledge, we live just down the road from Dale's sister.... Good luck with your puppy!!
There was one I lived near out in Nebraska the population was somewhere around 20 from what the sign said now on thur. fri and saturday nites the population tripled at least cause that was the only nites the restuarant/bar was open

those are some nice pics of your small town.i live in an area that used tobe named after our family.because every1 that lived here was our family.even today theres only 4 or 5 outside familys that live here.the 2 small towns we are close to has a gas station.an 1 has a gas station an school.

Nice pics Randi. Thanks for posting. I grew up in a community with a little less than 200 folks, but we didn't have nearly the stores and facilities that you do.

Just curious, what is the long cylindrical shaped structure on the left of the first few pictures?

Randiliana, Nice pics of your town. Looks real nice, but also looks awfully cold. Also great pics of your cattle and farm on the other thread. My local town was 177 people when I graduated high school 35 years ago and there were 11 in my graduating class. Now, the town has 125 people, no more feed store, both grocery stores closed, no more gas station, and the 150 year old mill on the creek burned down. However, lots of building going on outside of town as the farms are being cut up for housing developments and people are moving out of town to the country.

Latest posts