My herd is growing

Help Support CattleToday:

rowdyred

Reaction score
at the end of july sold 9 calves, bought 7 bred mommas, my herd is now 16 mommas, very excited about growing my herd, trying to get between 60 and 100 in 12 years, thats when i can retire from my teaching job, just wanted to let you know, hope everyone is having a great year

thanks very much, let me ask you something, the new cows I bought all had blue fly tags in their ears and had no flys at all, my older cow, since hanging around the new cows also have no flys, any idea what brand of fly tags are blue and how often do you change them out, and are they expensive?

farmwriter said:
Congratulations on getting things to work your way![/quote] you'll be suprized though, unless your wallets fat,, 12yrs and a 100 head is a little hard too reach concedring culling and selection.. i have a hard time maintainig my small herd numbers at the same rate

rowdyred":tavia519 said:
thanks very much, let me ask you something, the new cows I bought all had blue fly tags in their ears and had no flys at all, my older cow, since hanging around the new cows also have no flys, any idea what brand of fly tags are blue and how often do you change them out, and are they expensive?

Good luck on your expansion; may the price of calves be $1.65/pound when you reach 100 cows.

You can look on Jeffers and see the various tags they have. You might find a color/shape match.

TexasBred":30tv4tdy said:
"one" of the python tags use to be blue. May have changed as I haven't used any in years.

Python Magnum tags are still blue and work really well on my cows. Could be other blue tags, I don't know.

Here's a couple of recently weaned heifers standing in some rain starved crabgrass wearing the Python Magnums:

P1010546.jpg

ga. prime":2gnajeya said:
TexasBred":2gnajeya said:
"one" of the python tags use to be blue. May have changed as I haven't used any in years.

Python Magnum tags are still blue and work really well on my cows. Could be other blue tags, I don't know.

Here's a couple of recently weaned heifers standing in some rain starved crabgrass wearing the Python Magnums:

P1010546.jpg
Nice !!! :banana:

I use the Python ear tags on my mares out on pasture too.... I just use zip ties and attach them to a neck collar or break-away halter. I've even braided them into manes and tails. The mares sure are happier without all the flies bothering them! Seem to last real well for the 3-4 months they need them up here in the northland. I just make sure the tags say that they are safe to use on dairy cattle. Just FYI 8)

I found it at Y-TEX ear tags for cattle and theres an blue python ear tag thing you can click on...Im sure you can probably get them around here just may have to call a little...

You are supposed to cut those tags off a certain number of days after applying them.

I'm not sure how many days for the blue ones. Then next fly season you use one of the other colour tags instead.

This way, the flies are not exposed to sublethal (low) doses, and can't build immunity to the chemical.
By switching to another colour tag, they use a different chemical - so even if some of the flies have developed resistance, they will be killed off by the next colour tag.

Latest posts