My friend's Brahman cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus

Reaction score
Help out with a bud today at his dairy farm today, I had a chance to take a picture of his Brahman cattle.

photobucket-12781-1351110350512.jpg

3/4 Brahman
photobucket-3175-1351350722370.jpg

3/4 Brahman
photobucket-12474-1351370029840.jpg

1/2 Holstein, 1/2 Brahman

He also have two 1/2 Brahman calves born yesterday out of holstein cows.

I thought the same thing till I checked the date. Never swa the thread till today though. Oh we'll. I kinda like the cross. Just not that far north.

I suspicion he has a few user names, and never really left. Maybe even had a few conversations with himself.

He kept them in the shelters with the dairy cows during the winters. He don't sell them through as he keep the steers for the freezer beef.

Taurus said:
He kept them in the shelters with the dairy cows during the winters. He don't sell them through as he keep the steers for the freezer beef.[/quote]

Why would he do that with holstein steers to eat?

He recieved a brahman heifer calf as a gift from his boss few years ago. He don't keep holstein bull calves for freezer beef so that is what he eat these brahman for beef.

greybeard":1art96b2 said:
Not the kind of build on Brahma I'm used to seein but ya can't mistake those ears. Dang what a mudhole tho!
Been raining for a week and half plus snowing for two days. They do have access to the pasture. The friend running 340 head of dairy cattle on the farm. So far he doesn't have any issues with the Brahman cattle in the winter.

All but one are not purebred Brahman.

I've seen Brahma in NW Oklahoma, around Elk City and IMO, their ain't a windier colder place in the world as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I remember what the area around my uncle's dairy barn out in Nolan County Texas looked like in the winter--mud just like that.

That cross should result in some super calf raising cows with real good foraging ability. Brahma already milk pretty good anyway.
What kind of bw do they have?

greybeard":1ab8941l said:
I've seen Brahma in NW Oklahoma, around Elk City and IMO, their ain't a windier colder place in the world as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I remember what the area around my uncle's dairy barn out in Nolan County Texas looked like in the winter--mud just like that.

That cross should result in some super calf raising cows with real good foraging ability. Brahma already milk pretty good anyway.
All I know is that he did A.I on them, using Brahman semen. I should ask him who's the sire he used for A.I. I seen the new F1 Brahman sired calves (both are born last month) out of the holstein cows weren't very big, I would guess to say about 70-ish pounds at birth. He do have a F1 cow using for dairy, but all calves out of the Brahman cow were all bulls and the calves out of a F1 cow (her dam is a holstein cow) were all bulls. The new calves were both bulls. So basically he is struggling to get a heifer out of them.

Taurus":2msmjz4z said:
greybeard":2msmjz4z said:

All I know is that he did A.I on them, using Brahman semen. I should ask him who's the sire he used for A.I. I seen the new F1 Brahman sired calves (both are born last month) out of the holstein cows weren't very big, I would guess to say about 70-ish pounds at birth. He do have a F1 cow using for dairy, but all calves out of the Brahman cow were all bulls and the calves out of a F1 cow (her dam is a holstein cow) were all bulls. The new calves were both bulls. So basically he is struggling to get a heifer out of them.

Whats the possibility he got sexed semen?

That's good possibility that he got sexed semen by mistake. I will have to ask him few questions when I have a chance. I doubt he ordered sexed semen on purpose through as he does A.I on all of their cattle.

He do not use sexed semen and he used two registered Brahman sires but he don't remember what is their names since he brought them online. He sold the original momma brahman cow last week because she comes up open twice, so right now he only have a F1 cow left with all these steers. The grey steer was butchered and I have a Brahman steak in the freezer right now.

Latest posts