My Friend the Teacher's Day

Help Support CattleToday:

CUZ

Reaction score
No big deal, just a sweet story I thought I'd share with the class.

Guy teaches in High School. One of his classes is geography. School has been going a couple of days now.

He's teaching about finding where you are. (Longitude and Latitude) He's trying to make it real simple using his fingers on the map to show where they intersect. Ok, now through with lecture, you guys work a few problems.

Sits down at desk and observes class to see who is maybe struggling just a little bit since surely no one is badly struggling since this stuff is SO easy.

Girl looks up from her worksheet at him with TEARS in her eyes and that hopelessly lost look on her face. He gets up and eases over to her desk and puts his arm around her shoulder to comfort her. Then he leans down and whispers while showing her with his fingers how to use the numbers like on a grid. She continues to struggle and is just not getting it.

Class ends and he decides to go find the school counselor and get the lowdown on this kid, because it doesn't get any simpler than what they're doing and if she's struggling now, . . . well Lord have mercy it's going to be a long year for both of them.

School counselor says the girl is DEAF. She has a hearing aid but feels it makes her stand out (I think he said she was a 9th grader) and had decided to try to get by without it.

Her parents called him that evening and thanked him for trying to help her. The next day she came in and told him thanks and if she can't read his lips good enough then she'll start wearing her hearing aid. He says he now turns the sheet of paper around toward the class and points at it to show where he is and makes sure his face is visible to the girl when he talks.

Glad to see he was willing to help, and not make a big deal about it.

Sometimes a simple accomodation is all that is needed. I am glad he's willing to go the extra mile for this student.

My daughter's friend is hearing impaired and I have to keep reminding myself to look at her when I speak to her. She is a sweet child and as smart as a whip.

my Mum was deaf and wouldn't wear her hearing aid for years, then as she got older and wore it more she wondered why vanity stopped her, as it was nicer to hear what people were saying. and easier than lip reading. It's a shame when people think they are different just because they have to have a thing in their ear, it is no different in my book than having to wear glasses. If a few Celebs has to wear one and made it known I'm sure it would get excepted just as glasses are now.

Latest posts