My first trip to the Vet

Help Support CattleToday:

ZachinCO

Reaction score
Had to make my first vet trip with calf #4. This was a heifer calf born March 5th. Went to feed everyone else this morning and saw the yellow poop on her rump and tail. It wasn't runny, but more like a paste. She has been active and nursing regularly, but figured I'd better get her checked. Temp was 102 and lungs were clear.

Vet gave C&D and Quatracon injections and said she should be fine just keep on eye on her.
Vet was recommended from a friend who raises longhorns, he was very friendly. Even gave 2 of my daughters a quick lesson on cattle vaccinations. Since they are homeschooled, we considered this a field trip.

As soon as we got her back home, she ran right over to momma and started nursing.

I'm glad the 1st trip is going well so far. Hopefully that's the last visit until it's vaccination time.

Always great to get a good working relationship with a good vet. We have one with ours and it is very valuable to have. Glad the calf is doing well. If you feel as though the calf has scours. Their is bolus' that you could get at your local farm store that may save a vet trip.

Generally, a sticky butt does not mean they are sick. 102 temperature after hauling to the vet, probably was a normal temp. When you see one you are concerned about, take it's temp.
Sustain III scour boluses are great to have on hand for first sign of scouring (wet tail or see watery scours).
But, that said, it is GREAT that you met a vet & build a relationship.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":km3sxo7a said:
Generally, a sticky butt does not mean they are sick. 102 temperature after hauling to the vet, probably was a normal temp. When you see one you are concerned about, take it's temp.
Sustain III scour boluses are great to have on hand for first sign of scouring (wet tail or see watery scours).
But, that said, it is GREAT that you met a vet & build a relationship.
Sustain is still currently on indefinite backorder. I have no idea why! The alternative is Terramycin or Durvet makes a calf scour bolus that has twice the amount of oxyetracycline. Treatment is every 12 hours as opposed to 3 days with the Sustain.