my first time

Help Support CattleToday:

trappersteve

Reaction score
I did my first ai today a heifer on natural heat. I would like to say everything went great but I never could find the cervix but at least I gave It a shot. I really had no idea what I was feeling in there as I've had no lessons or no one to teach me . I'll probably waste a lot of semen before I'll ever get this down . Everything I've learned about ai I've learned off the internet so y'all don't bash me too bad.

Steve I'd sure try to find someone putting on an AI school and attend. Won't take but a few straws of wasted semen to pay for the course and you'll find it's a lot easier and your confidence level will soar.

Class is definitely worth the money, but I congratulate on having the guts to try. Who knows maybe it will take.

Heifers probably aren't the ideal subject to train on.
Once she's had a few calves the cervix is a lot bigger and firmer = easier to find and hang on to.

Get to a course to train if you can, if you can't do that use older open (cull) cows if you've got them, figure out how to find the cervix first then load the sheath onto the inseminator without a straw while you're learning to thread it through... no need to waste semen at this stage.
Just common sense. No cow wants to be the one who trains you so be gentle and don't take too long in there.

The hardest part for beginners besides finding the cervix is remembering to thread the cervix over the sheath and no the sheath through the cervix. In other words, once you've found the OS you don;t move the sheath again, just the cervix.

Thanks guys I was gonna attend an ai class this spring but they canceled it and I've tried to get lessons from a local dairy but I can't find anyone that has time to teach a newbie so I figured id learn the hard way

Good for you for trying! - a tip we learnt in our course that I took early this year (four day course) is when you put your hand in the cow's rectum do a sweep like motion beginning at the top of her pelvis (palm up) down to the floor of the pelvis and back up and you should be able to find the cervix. Once she taught us this, pretty much everyone was able to find them a lot easier : )

trappersteve":3u6z8cjo said:
I did my first ai today a heifer on natural heat. I would like to say everything went great but I never could find the cervix but at least I gave It a shot. I really had no idea what I was feeling in there as I've had no lessons or no one to teach me . I'll probably waste a lot of semen before I'll ever get this down . Everything I've learned about ai I've learned off the internet so y'all don't bash me too bad.

Trapper, I started AI last year. My fall calving herd went extremely well. I have had the occasional problem getting into the cervix but I have never failed to find it. You should be able to find it in the first minute. The problem I experience sometimes is being able to manipulate it over the end of the gun. All I can say is, you should expect to find the cervix. When you enter the anus, open your hand up once in side and place it on the floor of the pelvis. Then slide it forward while putting downward pressure on your hand. At some point as you contact the cervix, you will feel a lump of tissue that some describe as a chicken neck. That is the cervix. At that point, I pull the gun from the sheath and enter it into the vulva making sure to avoid the urethra (which even though the manual and instructor makes a big deal out of, I cannot imagine getting into the urethra, it is on the floor of the opening to the vagina and not very far in; the clitoris is in the same location). At that point, I focus again on the cervix and guide the gun to the cervix. When I get to the cervix, I begin the manipulation process of getting the gun in the orifice of the cervix.

Again, you should not be having trouble finding the cervix. I would highly recommend a class. That way you practice on cows that are not yours. I hate to admit it, but I would not have wanted to practice on my own cows. The learning process is just too crude.

Update, today I met a real nice guy that gave me a few lessons on his cows . I did kinda What you said Inyati and kinda swept the floor of the rectum I actually was Having better luck when feeling for the utirine horns and then coming back to the cervix. I really was expecting the cervix and horns to be a lot bigger than they were.Thanks all for the help .

And by the way my heifer that I tried on did not take :mad:

of course there is a cost to cattle that do not concieve.....delayed breeding....
I have been breeding since 1974 and I can not imagine just trying it without any instruction.....

pdfangus":2y85cut8 said:
of course there is a cost to cattle that do not concieve.....delayed breeding....
I have been breeding since 1974 and I can not imagine just trying it without any instruction.....

I second that. A good class is going to expose you to the reproductive physiology of a cow including anatomy, the heat cycle, heat detection, the hormone system, drugs, etc. Then you will practice procedure on cows with an instructor.

The local vet I deal with charges 45 to do it.. I would rather pay that and not have to fool with it. I do not AI breed but I have been looking at a few bulls I want to AI a couple cows with and by golly the vet will be doing it not me I commend yall guys that can do it.

skyhightree1":qzhmxqk2 said:
The local vet I deal with charges 45 to do it.. I would rather pay that and not have to fool with it. I do not AI breed but I have been looking at a few bulls I want to AI a couple cows with and by golly the vet will be doing it not me I commend yall guys that can do it.
Kind of like some fellows can ride a wheelie and some can't....:)

Kingfisher":tmqiw3rf said:
skyhightree1":tmqiw3rf said:
Kind of like some fellows can ride a wheelie and some can't....:)

You got me there :lol2:

I'll get about 100 ft on a wheelie and that's it

I've contemplated taking an AI class.. trying to find one around here is impossible though

Sky.....

I don't know your vet but a lot of regualar AI technicians are better at it than most vets because they are more experienced....
If you really want to AI some cattle....let me know...My son does custom breeding and I will hook you up...he does embryo transfer breeding and lately has been helping a stud teach AI classes.....he can put you on a synchronized breeding and do a group at one time...

pdfangus":43qggli6 said:
Sky.....

I don't know your vet but a lot of regualar AI technicians are better at it than most vets because they are more experienced....
If you really want to AI some cattle....let me know...My son does custom breeding and I will hook you up...he does embryo transfer breeding and lately has been helping a stud teach AI classes.....he can put you on a synchronized breeding and do a group at one time...
PDF, What background does your son have? I think about the embryo transfer breeding but seems hard to justify in my small operation. Nevertheless, it appeals me. What is his range in performing that service?

inyati13":20deurs8 said:
pdfangus":20deurs8 said:
Sky.....

PDF, What background does your son have? I think about the embryo transfer breeding but seems hard to justify in my small operation. Nevertheless, it appeals me. What is his range in performing that service?

Sky, I sent you a private message, I thought, but now I can not find it...did you get one from me this morning? If not let me know and I will retype it later....have to go out on an appointment this morning....