My first pull in a LOOOOOONG time........

Help Support CattleToday:

Mo-Joe

Reaction score
I don't post much but wanted to tell about my evening. I was at the local farm store this evening and saw an older gentleman looking at a set of calf pullers. Just in passing I said something like 'Looks like you're in for some fun'.

He told me he had a heifer in trouble and was going to have to pull a calf. Said he guessed he had been lucky because he had run cattle for 30 years and never had to pull one. Had the vet a couple times, but never himself. He asked if I had ever used a set of pullers before. Long story short, I gave a quick run down on what to do, but I also told him it had been a long time since I had done that.

Me and my wife started walking off and I asked her what she thought about me asking if he wanted some help. She kind of laughed and said she was about to ask me if I thought I should ask him. I had never met this man before, but he seemed happy to give me directions to his place and a phone number. I had to run the wife home so she could see about the kids so I changed clothes and grabbed a few supplies from home and headed out.

When I got to the mans house, he was happy to see me. I helped him and his wife get the heifer into the corral then she walked right into the chute. VERY NICE SET UP!!!!

The calf had 1 foot and the head out and was easy tell it was too late for the calf. I asked him if he wanted the honors or if he wanted me to give it a try. Anyway, I gloved up and started, but there was just no way I could get that other front leg out!! We decided to try pulling the way it was and finally it came on out. Nice little calf - not too big for the heifer, just bad presentation. I thought she was going to go down on us but we were lucky and she stayed up.

The lady went and got me a bucket of warm water so I could wash up - did I tell you it was about 30 out with a nice cool breeze blowing!!. They asked what they owed me and I told them nothing. They appreciated it, and didn't really want to let me go without paying anything.

I did asked him to show me how his auto-catch headgate worked as I had only used manual before. He showed me and then asked if I was needing one. He had an old manual catch laying around he was wanting to get rid of. Guess I've got me a new used headgate!!

Sorry this was so long.

Mo-Joe It's feeling when you help some one out bet you just made you a new freind.ain't nothing better then good neibor's and good freind's.Just can't have enough of them.

rattler

:clap: :clap: :clap:
I'll bet that guy's muscles thanked you last night too
I know that after doing something like that my Dad will have a sore shoulder or 2

you got yourself points for that one...

A shortcut for next time.... if the calf is dead (and make certain it is!!!) and the head is out with one leg trapped back that you can't get to. Try chopping the head off just behind the skull. This gives you oodles more room to push the calf back in slightly and get that other leg up. When you pull keep a hand over the stump of the neck so that the bone end does not damage the cow on its way out.

Most calves with a front leg back when you pull won't come out so easily and you have a high risk of damaging the cow/heifer - you were lucky this time!!!

cowvet - Thanks for the tip! You are exactly right about what happened with the head. I tried pushing it back in but just couldn't. There wasn't enough room to get the other leg forward.

This time there was no doubt about the calf so I could have done what you suggested had I known about this tip. The tongue was out, everything was dry and there was no doubt it was already gone. I used some OB lube to prevent as much damage as possible and had the pulling chain on the one leg. As you said, I believe I got lucky this time.

It had been about 20 years since I had last pulled a calf. With some management changes and fewer cattle, I've been lucky enough not to have to do that for some time.

Thanks again for the tip!! Learn something new everyday.