My first problem with a neighbor, what would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Here's one way to look at it: With any luck this guy won't be your neighbor for much longer. I'd be hesitent to pay. He never consulted you, and the big question is whether or not the repairs were needed or wanted. If they were needed, then I would assume you'd be on the hook. If there was no identifiable need to have them made, then I would think that he would be on the hook for him. I would explain it to him like that. However, who's to say that the guy who did the repairs won't tell you that they were needed if you inquire? So, I would call that guy first, get a copy of the bill directly from him and question him about what was done and why. Get his opinion and ask if there was ever a question over the dispute that you could call him as a 'witness.' I'm sorry you have to go through this. Neighbors can either be a pain or a blessing, and I feel like they're usually a pain.

Good luck and keep us updated.

I would pay it and forget it. Only time I would be upset was when I turned the water tap on and nothing came out. Not much of a neighbor but not a federal case either, not worth the rise in your blood pressure.

Larry

highgrit":2i0hwyne said:
Dun has a good idea. At the very least I would tell him that's a pretty chicken crap way to treat a neighbor. And then give him his money.

While there won't be a summons, i'llno doubt do just that. Let him know I didn't like the way he went about it, the well was working fine why the replacement parts and if he wants paid next time he better get it okay'd by me first.

skyhightree1":2f7xtjv5 said:
I honestly had never heard of sharing a well.

At least in this area shared wells are not that uncommon. When my neighbors house was built in 72 he installed the well. He sold that house to his daughter in 98 and built the place we live in. Both place have sold to private parties, but still one well for two properties. One area a couple of miles from us has eight houses sharing one well. I know one of the couples who live there, seems there is always a problem, someone left the water on and they are out of water, water pressure drops to a drizzle ........ That would be a problem.

Sharing a well is pretty common around here too. Sometimes, if it's a really good well, 2-4 residents will share it.

I suppose im different. If he didnt ask and replaced perfectly function equipment just to improve the look for future buyers he is on his own. Like another poster said next time he should use gold and just mail you a bill. If he is moving I wouldn't worry about paying him. A guy like that you won't be keeping in touch with anyways. If you replaced the line from the well to your house and then sent him a bill for half would be be paying? Bet not. Put the bill in the trash and go check some cows :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's the best suggestion yet Dave. :lol: While I have never been out to bouy 10 I've heard the stories.

Dave for the land lovers here correct me if I get something wrong since I have never been out to bouy 10. Bouy 10 is the bouy marker for the mouth of the Columbia river, red hot and popular salmon fishing in the fall. It's out past the jetty's and in open water, but between the tides, Columbia and the bar it's gets pretty nasty ........ If there was an accident and a neighbor would fall overboard.........

I too would hesitate to share a well but our situations as far as water depth are hugely different!
I gotta break with the group and say that a totally upgraded outer works, with all the work done and no problems and extra charges may be good value and would be huge piece of mind. How the guy went about it may or may not be too forthright, but an investment in your primary water supply would rarely be poorly spent money.

Alan":w50zmkg0 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: That's the best suggestion yet Dave. :lol: While I have never been out to bouy 10 I've heard the stories.

Dave for the land lovers here correct me if I get something wrong since I have never been out to bouy 10. Bouy 10 is the bouy marker for the mouth of the Columbia river, red hot and popular salmon fishing in the fall. It's out past the jetty's and in open water, but between the tides, Columbia and the bar it's gets pretty nasty ........ If there was an accident and a neighbor would fall overboard.........

There is a reason that the mouth of the Columbia is known as "the grave yard of the Pacific". To say it gets pretty nasty at times is an understatement.

Alan":2fmdog18 said:
We have been here at our place for almost 14 yrs, never a problem with the neighbors. We share a well with one neighbor, never has been a problem, split maintance cost on the well as per the written contract we have. A few years ago he and his wife were divorced, he continues to live on the property. With in the last couple of years he has a new girlfriend and plans on selling his place and moving to her acreage, he is now actively marketing his property. He approached me last summer and asked me to split the cost of a new well house with him, it's not a well house it's a 20x30 storage shed with the well inside. I explained to him that, that building is going to do nothing but increase the value of his property and give him additional storage, it has little benefit to us other than the little space it provides the well pump. So he agreed to put up the well house at his cost. Here's the problem, while doing the well house he decided to replace most of the outer works on the well, such as the pressure tank, pipes, wiring, swithches, etc. He then left me a bill for half the cost of the tank and plumbing for almost $600 in our mail box, with a note stating our contract states we pay half the maintance, you need to pay this. He never spoke to us first before these other upgrades on the well. I don't seem to be cooling down about this after a couple of weeks and I do need to talk to him, but still red hot. The way I see it is, he's trying to sell his place and decided to update the well as a added benifit to his selling price and to the buyer without consulting me. I'm not as concerned about the cost of maintaining the well as the way he did it.... :mad:

I'm venting and need a sounding board, I really think I he did us wrong.

Alan some battle's are just not worth fighting.
I would hand him the check and tell him in the future you and him
need to be in agreement on repairs in a polite way.
This is one of the reason's I don't partner or share anything it
is just a problem looking for a place to happen.

Neighbor the other day wanted to buy half interest in my cattle trailer.
I kindly replied no but would be happy to haul his for the same fee I get from everyone else.

I would not worry about him to much. My concern would be the new owners when it sells. You will need to cultivate a good relationship with the new owners.

Celtic Cowman":3nd8cruk said:
I too would hesitate to share a well but our situations as far as water depth are hugely different!
I gotta break with the group and say that a totally upgraded outer works, with all the work done and no problems and extra charges may be good value and would be huge piece of mind. How the guy went about it may or may not be too forthright, but an investment in your primary water supply would rarely be poorly spent money.

I agree. You are getting some value out of it, in the form of new parts. Also, the new well house didn't cost you anything, assuming it needed one, $600 would seem fair for half the cost of a well house. But, I would definitely let him know to talk to me first before making any repairs in the future. I would try to keep neighbor elations good, because his house might not sell, and he may be there for several more years.

Question, do you pay him anything for the water other than maintenance, such as electrical? When were any of these items replaced in the past?

Latest posts