My first Goose Hunt

Help Support CattleToday:

Skyhigh if you think them geese were fun get on the bay and hunt Sprig's.
A raft will fall in out of the stratasphere and when they come over after burner's kicked in you will get burnt.
They are a medium size duck with a very large turbine up there butt, better have the slack out of the trigger when you see them. Secondly you better do your damage in the first pass cause it is not real likely you will get a second.

snake67":2gqpcbsm said:
Caustic Burno":2gqpcbsm said:
Now all you need is a few hog's and a five gallon bucket of fire ant's all you have to pay is shipping.
:hide:

What? You mean you do not deliver?

I knew you were frugal, but that is down right cheap!

LOL

Bez

The hog's and ant's are free my time is donated, there is a small issue on the price of diesel.
Figure four bucks a loaded mile should cover it. Can't be more than 1500 miles or so to your house give or take a couple 100. You are more than welcome to pick them up here steak dinner included just let me know inadvance how many buckets of ant's and hog's you would like to haul.

My friends been trying to get me to with them they are big into waterfowl hunting they rent 10,000 to fowl hunt everyyear. I told them what I did yesterday and they told me to start hunting with them some I said ok but man those shells are expensive lol I may have to try it though caustic I got bored since I couldn't rabbit hunt so I sat by my pond and waited and used a goose call I had bought maybe 4 years ago lol

3waycross":3aje6zer said:
Sounds like you got one of each. Those little ones are called lessers and the big ones up to about 16 lbs are greaters. There is another subspecies that are huge. I forget what they call them.

There might be an even smaller one too but i am not sure

Dam buddy...sounds like that great big one you been calling a goose might be a Whooping Crane. No wonder they're nearly extinct. Guess they're tasty tho. :lol:

TexasBred":32au5foy said:
3waycross":32au5foy said:
Sounds like you got one of each. Those little ones are called lessers and the big ones up to about 16 lbs are greaters. There is another subspecies that are huge. I forget what they call them.

There might be an even smaller one too but i am not sure

Dam buddy...sounds like that great big one you been calling a goose might be a Whooping Crane. No wonder they're nearly extinct. Guess they're tasty tho. :lol:

HAHA no we get millions of cranes and can't shoot one cuz they are afrian we can't tell the difference..........or don't care.

BTW the real big Canadas are called Maximus i believe.

I got yelled at by a neighbor yesterday for shooting at one. Not because he likes the beautiful goose but because some #8 shot fell back down on his tin roof.
He not only got a lesson in gravity but ended up apologizing after offering me a beer. Lol

hooknline":1qcno6xh said:
I got yelled at by a neighbor yesterday for shooting at one. Not because he likes the beautiful goose but because some #8 shot fell back down on his tin roof.
He not only got a lesson in gravity but ended up apologizing after offering me a beer. Lol
#8 shot will just make a goose mad......ruffle his feathers a bit. :lol:

Geese are tough and have a ton of feathers never again will I pluck one. next ones may just get the breast cut out and thats it

HOSS":27qilvv5 said:
hooknline":27qilvv5 said:
#8 shot will just make a goose mad......ruffle his feathers a bit. :lol:
First goose I've seen down here that wasn't someone's pet. It wasn't all that high but it sure lit out of the area quick after that

I am sure you were using non-toxic waterfowl shot. Good thing Deadeye wasn't shooting, cause I hear plucking a goose stinks.

Been waterfowl hunting in NE Ohio for years. Usually stack up over 20 geese a years, seasonal working buddies will stack up close to 30-50 a season. Always just breast them out. Geese around here are all corn/grain fed from the farms and covered with a layer of fat making them greasy to cook whole. In fact there's nothing on a goose worth eating other than the breast. You can slow cook the heck out of the legs and wings for a week and they're still like chewing on a dogs raw hide bone.

For the breasts, soak them for a few days in salt water, changing the water out daily, to lighten up the meat. Cube them up and throw them in the slow cooker with whatever seasonings you perfer. Then when cooked, drain off the juices and mix the meat with cream of potato soup or cream of mushroom soup.

If you get lost of geese like we do, take the breast meat to a butcher shop and have them put into smokies, sausage, or hot dogs. We have a local guy that processes deer that will mix a little pork and seasonings then turn them into smokies that are awesome. I've taken them to work and to the gun club and everyone loves them.

For the ducks. Then throw them on the smoker until they are just pink in the center and they are to die for. Dont over smoke cause they will turn dry.

High it does stink but not as bad as a turkey.. YUCK... rla442 thanks for the idea on what to do with the geese I appreciate it.

I haven't set a spread since they outlawed lead.
Used to smoke their butts with no 4's out of a 16 gauge.
The duck limit had gotten stupid 10 point's for this one 90 for that one.
Put out 150 cypress decoy's shoot one duck and the hunt was over.
Just got were is was not worth it and I think that was the intention all along.