my first garden

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboybeef

Reaction score
ok my grandma gave me bout.5 acres for a garden and im going to grow tomatoes,potatoes, onoins,cucumbers, corn and summer squash. if u guys have ne helpful techniques or info on these plants or nething it would help me alot

Ok keep the cucumbers and squash away from each other.
Is this area already turned over? I mean no grass or brush.
What type of soil do you have? Any compost around?

There's a lot to know. But one good way to get on a learning curve is to buy the book called "Square Foot Gardening". It used to be a show on PBS but they don't air it anymore. The guy has some good ideas concerning companion planting and timing. Look on EBay for it since I think its out of print.

cowboybeef":1q1bo91g said:
ok my grandma gave me bout.5 acres for a garden and im going to grow tomatoes,potatoes, onoins,cucumbers, corn and summer squash. if u guys have ne helpful techniques or info on these plants or nething it would help me alot

What part of the country are you in. Makes a big difference what and when you can plant

5 acres for a garden? Such a thing in unheard of around here. You must do something different down south.

angie":ols8evtz said:
5 acres for a garden? Such a thing in unheard of around here. You must do something different down south.

Angie
I think it says Point5 as in 1/2 acre. Five acres is a field most placesLOL

Pull a soil test now and add any ammenities needed. If possible, get your hands on some manure from dairy and dump it on the garden spot now and turn it in. More the better. Get your soil right as your soil is the foundation of everything.

angie":2abqc7qy said:

Well 5 acres is a big garden but when you break it down and work it with a tractor, it ain't so big.
You need an acre just to plant sweet corn. With 3 planting dates and planting about 1/3 acre two and three weeks apart it comes in all season and you have more time to put it up.

Then you need two acres for black-eyed peas and butter beans.

About 1/2 acre for watermelons and cantaloupe.

another 1/2 acre for green beans, squash, maters, cucumbers, taters and okra, 2 or 3 rows of each is plenty.

Then in the fall, you need to set out onions, cabbage, broccoli, turnips, and collards.

Now that is about 5 acres.

The first thing to do with a new garden is spray it with round up. Before you plow. Then bottom plow it and disk it smooth. Use aterzeen under the corn and treflan under the peas and beans. Cultivate and hand spray round up to fight weeds. Use a hoe as a last resort. I wanted to hire a ho-er last year but my girlfriend said no.

ga. prime":2dozq65y said:
2 acres of black-eyed peas will yield 400 bushels. :lol2:
Well not if it don't rain it won't and I only plant about an acre in peas. The other acre is in butter beans. I have them picked on halves. I don't mind picking peas but I ain't never ate a butter bean worth picking and I love butter beans.

ga. prime":rid5h2ad said:

I planted an acre right in front of my house year before last and never picked a pea. :lol:

Deer! :mad:

alabama":30fq58mz said:
ga. prime":30fq58mz said:
Well not if it don't rain it won't and I only plant about an acre in peas. The other acre is in butter beans. I have them picked on halves. I don't mind picking peas but I ain't never ate a butter bean worth picking and I love butter beans.

Butter beans are easy to pick...........

Just pull up the whole bush, throw them in the back of the truck and head to the shade tree that has a cooler of beer parked under it :shock: !

Very true that you won't get any peas without rain or if deer get into them. Or much of any other produce

I have two electric fences around my 1 acre garden. I have 2 wires on the inside fence, 1 wire knee or thigh high and the other wire belly or chest high. 4 ft. outside that I have 1 wire knee or thigh high. Deer can't jump the single wire without hitting the double wire. Well, they can, but they don't. Very effective. Rabbits eat a few, but deer eat none. And theres a huge deer population here. I plant about a quarter acre of peas(usually blackeyes, creme 40's, and sadandys) pick about 50 bushels of peas in the shell. Eat ten, give ten to my sister, put ten in the freezer, and sell the others. 8)

MikeC":24un6klr said:
ga. prime":24un6klr said:

I planted an acre right in front of my house year before last and never picked a pea. :lol:

Planted 50 pounds of purle hull's a couple years ago if I got two messes I was lucky same here Deer

Caustic Burno":1oco5lfz said:
MikeC":1oco5lfz said:
ga. prime":1oco5lfz said:

Planted 50 pounds of purle hull's a couple years ago if I got two messes I was lucky same here Deer

that should have made some good deer meet though.

I'd wager that if I planted 5 acres of peas with no hot wire protection here, that no more than 2 leaves would be seen on any pea plant.

MikeC":20tf2tyd said:
alabama":20tf2tyd said:
ga. prime":20tf2tyd said:

Butter beans are easy to pick...........

Just pull up the whole bush, throw them in the back of the truck and head to the shade tree that has a cooler of beer parked under it :shock: !

Mike which tree will you be under?? I'll need directions to help you shell those peas. :banana:

Latest posts