My first cow -- questions on selection (m or f) and care?

Help Support CattleToday:

My "guess" is if she is to be beef, you don't need to worry about a bangs vaccination as brucellosis is associated with cows aborting. Here in VA, it is given one time between 4-12 months, the vet completes a form that goes to the state, copy to owner, copy for vet's files. They get a metal tag and tattoo in their right ear when they get vaccinated for it.

But maybe you should go ahead and get your vet to do this because that little heifer is so cute, I think she's soon going to be in your living room with the TV remote in her right hoof and a bowl of alfalfa cubes in her left! :lol:

dun":23gr520s said:
She knows where the water is or if she gets real thirsty she'll find it. Keep the grain going and switch to about 16% mixture and keep it at about 2% of her weight.

I believe you. It's just going on 36 hours now and she really hasn't touched the water. Now I'm just starting to get concerned.

Everything else seems normal. She's walking, grazing, not mooing, etc...

dun":1hw0xaoo said:
What do her stools look like, hard and dryish or pretty normal

I watched for 2 hours, I got tired of waiting for her to drop one. She did Urinate. The ones I found in the field seem normal, but I don't know how old they are. I will let you know once I see more.

I had to lead her to the water again... She didn't find the sweet grain all day (by the water tank). Once she found it she munched it right up though. I thought they could smell that stuff from far away.

Latest posts