My First Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

twabscs

Reaction score
Hi All,

I started my heard back in Feb 06 with 10 pairs. Worked through fixing fence, enhancing facilities, learning how to give shots, etc. and did just fine. Sold off 8 calves in October and held 2 back. Traded use of my pastures this summer for the use of a neighbors registered Angus bull to breed back my 10 cows.

Recently, though, I decided to keep growing the herd as I have lots of grass left (on 130 acres), my facilities are mostly in order now, and I'm "experienced" now :D. I picked up 36 additional bred cows last week and they will calve in late Feburary of this year. Also, there was an "extra" in the trailer that should have been sorted off that was ready to drop a calve any day. It was easier to just buy her too given the long trip...

Anyway, on Monday, the "extra" had my first ever calf and so I decided to celebrate with some pictures. Can you help me with the breed of the mother. What produces these blonde WF cows Char/RA/Hereford? She was bred to a black bull so seems I got a grey white face so I'm guessing we have the dominant black gene along with the diluter gene, right?

Thanks everyones for your help, as I do lots of reading and learning here!

First_Calf0004.JPG

First_Calf0001.JPG

New_Herd0001.JPG

Tom

she looks like a charolais x hereford bred to a black angus bull. congrats.

Whatever the breeding, that is a nice looking calf. 36 new ones? That's a big bite. Hope they all produce well for you...sounds like you're off to a good start!

We have one looks identical except with more hair. She comes from a Highland/Red Angus cross mother bred to a Charolais sire. My guess for yours would be primarily Red Angus/Charolais. There may be some Hereford in there - maybe an 1/8 or so.

Congrats on your first baby.

Thanks all for the great comments. I'm getting better at this picture uploading so I've got some more for you.

Here was my best steer, a Char cross, 700 lbs @ $1.08. That's his mom to his left. Yeah, she's not much to look at, but as I've stated before, I started with 10 old cows to help figure out what I was getting myself into. Dad must have been a horned Char and I'm guessing we have a red gene and the dliuter gene to give me a yellow calf from this angus mother.

Best_Calf_20060001.JPG

Two pictures of a heifer that I kept back. Mom and her both have a great disposition. I'm not sure about that slight tilt she has to the front so let me know if that's an issue.

Best_Heifer_20060002.JPG

Best_Heifer_20060001.JPG

Here's a heifer I wanted to keep, but she was a bit wild and I don't need that. She was 625 lbs @ $1.00 because she put up quite a fight in the sale ring. Seemed to hurt the price. :)

Best_Sold_Heifer_20060001.JPG