my first calf

Help Support CattleToday:

bootsie

Reaction score
Here is some pics of my first calf. He is a steer. Almost 4 months old. We plan to use him for personal use. I think he has angus, long horn, and probabaly a few other types. I think he will work out. We plan on getting atleast 2 more after christmas.
I was having a problem with touching him but thanks to your suggestions I can touch him on the head when he is in the pasture. And when he is in the stall I can pretty much touch him all over. He still runs from me from time time but no where near what he used to.
Let me know what you think I want to start learning a little more about a cow's confirmation. I hope these pics are good enough I took them right before I fed tonight.
IMG_06351.jpg

IMG_06361.jpg

IMG_06321.jpg

What do you mean by personal use? Are you planning on showing him? Eating him? Or selling him after putting on some weight?

aplusmnt":1j62doo0 said:
What do you mean by personal use? Are you planning on showing him? Eating him? Or selling him after putting on some weight?
He is gonna butcher him, eat him, and then make a pair of boots, gloves and chaps with the hide. If the longhorns come out he will make a hat and coat rack with the horns.

la4angus":385qepin said:
aplusmnt":385qepin said:
He is gonna butcher him, eat him, and then make a pair of boots, gloves and chaps with the hide. If the longhorns come out he will make a hat and coat rack with the horns.

:lol: that's it. :lol: Just wish I knew how to process the hyde.

Thanks Jeanne that's what I wanted to know. His hind end looks high do cows grow like horses?

I would think he will make a good addition to the freezer! If you have him halter broke and spending lots of time with him it might be hard to haul to the butcher though. Especially if you have kids.

Great looking calf. I don't think it has much if any longhorn in it. The shape of the head and ears and are all wrong for a longhorn. The hook to pin angle is to shallow also for a longhorn. If it is AngusxLonghorn you won't get any hat racks. That cross come out 85+% polled.
I agree with aplusmnt, if you are going to butcher it don't halter break and make pet out of it. I have some older cows that have to hit the road and it is going to be hard. They have stayed around a year more then they should have already.
It is still a great looking calf.

If he has Longhorn in his genetics it is pretty minor. Or, either his sire or dam was polled: polled is dominant trait. A Longhorn calf at 4 months should have horns at least halfway to its ear tips, perhaps more. On a purebred Longhorn we expect horns to be at eartips or past at 205 days.