My favourite terminal breed, the Blonde d' Aquitaine

Help Support CattleToday:

ANAZAZI

Reaction score
A terminal breed has to do few things right, the most important being:
To provide great muscle to complement the thinner muscle of maternal breeds and their crosses.
To provide extra growth so the feedlot animal can reach finishing weight faster, and to make for good weaning weights of course.
To represent good or at least decent calving ease, combined with good calf vigour. Dead calfs are direct loss, tired and sickly calves are a lot of work.
To provide heterosis, the "free lunch" of cattle breeding, and to do that the terminal breed needs to be unrelated to the mother cows.

The Blonde d' Aquitaine bull can do all this.
They have great muscle that will blueprint on all crossbred progeny, and a long back which means lots of valuable cuts.
They have great growth, partly because it has a large frame, while most maternal breeds should have a more moderate frame due to the economics of keeping brood cows.
They have good calving ease almost whatever you cross them with, due not mainly to a low birthweight, but to a long and slender calf with fine bone. A Blonde calf is usually some six inches longer than for example a Charolais calf of the same weight, and not nearly as blocky.
Most brood cows are english breeds where heterosis is strong when crossing with a Blonde bull. The same is true when using many other continental breeds too, of course.

And then there is one more thing; a terminal cross means that all progeny goes to the feedlot, also all the heifers. There is no breed known to me with such good growth and muscle to heifers as the Blonde d'Aquitane, and this is true also in all the crosses I have seen. This is a very important trait as half the terminal calves are heifers.
It is also a breed where steers do well compared to bulls, much for the same reason.

Now, feel free to add other good traits that you feel belongs to the breed!

And before I end this little thing: Blonde d' Aquitaine cattle eat like wolves - good in the feedlot where that enables fantastic lean growth - not necessarily a good thing for a mama cow.
They do not milk particularly well, albeit the have really rich milk. A huge cow, milking like a rather small cow. They are a terminal breed.

Fell free to air your experiences with the breed, good and bad!

A drawback to their use in the states is the difference between marbeling preference between us and europe. The premiums in the US is for marbled meat in europe it's lean without the marbeling.

Our family has bred Blonde cattle since the 1970's in Canada, and in this time they have been adapted to our different environment (versus Europe).

In general the cattle are more moderate sized, more fertile, easier calving and milk better than the French Blondes of today in particular. Now a French breeder probably wouldn't think our cattle are tall enough, or have enough "finesse" (they pinch the skin to see how thick it is ie: skin & fat), the breeders in England would want more muscle, etc, but we have different market and environmental realities here.

Dun, and the breed is still lean with less marbling here as well, but still retains the higher cutability and feed conversion. We probably have more backfat and marbling that the European cattle though. Again animals that would thrive in our colder, more grazing type environment would change somewhat.

Willow Springs":24jmcdz9 said:
Dun, and the breed is still lean with less marbling here as well, but still retains the higher cutability and feed conversion. We probably have more backfat and marbling that the European cattle though. Again animals that would thrive in our colder, more grazing type environment would change somewhat.
If you retain ownership, unless you can get a premium for yeild grade 1 Select I wonder if it would work.

We bought beef from a Blonde producer some years ago. Either a quarter or half, can't remember now. They fed out on some special "natural" ration that included a lot of kelp. It was really good beef, lean but still juicy. The reason we only bought it once, they were kind of far away but hubby drove there regularly on his job. When that changed, it just wasn't feasible any more.

Also saw a Blonde show where the judge was from France. It was supposed to be very prestigious to have him there, and I'm sure it was. But he sounded too much like Pepe Le Peux, it was hard not to snicker. Immature, I know, but anybody who grew up on those cartoons would have probably had a similar reaction.

Blondes are yet another breed you have to wonder why they aren't more popular.

I'm so confused. Just a day or so ago you posted this:

ANAZAZI":2qx79eou said:
Has been reality for at least fifteen years in Sweden, a really small country when it comes to Blonde breeding. I love the breed; however your ill adviced and missplaced advertising appear like spam on this board, and I do not appriciate that. :bang:

Now you're breed pimping the Blondes?

TennesseeTuxedo":x0i1rehq said:
I'm so confused. Just a day or so ago you posted this:

ANAZAZI":x0i1rehq said:
Has been reality for at least fifteen years in Sweden, a really small country when it comes to Blonde breeding. I love the breed; however your ill adviced and missplaced advertising appear like spam on this board, and I do not appriciate that. :bang:

Now you're breed pimping the Blondes?

I am indeed breed pimping! The difference is that this is not advertising. It is a lovely cattle breed, I do not have any, nor did I for four years, because at this time we have no need for terminal sires in the herd. There is nothing here for me to sell, that might be the difference.