My Favorite Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Here is my favorite heifer. She is a March '06 calf, 94 lb BW, and a 558 lb weight in September. 2.59 lb/day ADG. Her Sire is Hereford, and Dam is a Black Brf. She is probably 3/4 Hereford.

DSC04252.jpg

DSC04261.jpg

Here is a 1/2 sister to her. She didn't have quite the same life as the previous heifer. Off of an old cow that we lost to heart failure, she was one of 3 calves that was on a nurse cow. We will see how she develops as a cow. Her mama was a pretty darn good old cow in her day. BW 83, WW 404. Adg 1.87. Also a March calf. 1/2 Shorthorn, 1/2 Hereford.

DSC04227.jpg

Structurally, she's pretty good, though I think she might slope a little hooks to pins even after she gets square on her back feet. I would also like to see her standing on some more bone and showing more expression of muscle throughout. She'll do good on full feed and off mama -- post some updated pics.

farmwife":3tpucg3j said:
Structurally, she's pretty good, though I think she might slope a little hooks to pins even after she gets square on her back feet. I would also like to see her standing on some more bone and showing more expression of muscle throughout. She'll do good on full feed and off mama -- post some updated pics.

They are Yearlings and those pictures were just taken on Tuesday night. But thanks for your comments, I appreciate them and it helps me develop a bit more of an 'eye'.

farmwife":3ru04ly7 said:
Oops, I thought they might have been some younger pics. What's her weight now?

I would guess her at around 900 lbs. The smaller heifer, probably 750ish. She should come in around 1000 by the end of Sept. I know that they aren't all that fat, the grass has dried up here pretty bad, but they aren't suffering too bad either.

Latest posts