My favorite heifer calved

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have posted pictues of this heifer before she is out of our now deceased Fink Pride 065 cow, we flushed her as a twelve year old cow. The 1103 heifer has been a favorite of mine since she was a calf. She didn't settle AI but did take the first cycle in with the bull. She had a nice 60 pound heifer calf.

The heifer has a really nice udder I actually thought I was getting a pciture of it but realized I don't see so good using the phone screen.

Ronnie spent the weekend hauling and stacking peanut hay the barn is full I reminded him that a full barn and a fat wife never did a man any harm!

Jacob spent the weekend getting fields ready to plant our winter pasture, I worked up one field on Friday, he finished it on Saturday then started another. Today he foudn the rattle snake in the field I asked how many rattles but he said some were broke off but the thought it was about 6, I took his word on it cause I don't have any attention of getting close enough to count buttons. I am scared of a snake live or dead.

Gizmom

Congratulation's on the calf. Your heifer looks really nice. Question, what is peanut hay? and it's value? basically I've never dealt with it just curious? Thanks

This will only be the second year that we will be feeding peanut hay so we certainly are not experts. We did question a lot of folks that have used it prior to trying it. Last year we would put out peanut hay one day and the next day regular grass hay. The cows would eat the peanut hay like it was candy. Peanut hay is very high in protein ranging anywhere from 10 up to as much as 16% (this is what folks has said anyway) I can say the cows did very well last year on this hay. I found the following in an article put out by the university of Florida. Some farmers leave the hay on the fields some bale it depending on the chemicals used. This hay can't be stored in the weather it won't hold up.

Peanut Hay – consists of the vines and leaves of the annual peanut plant after the peanuts have been combined. Protein content of peanut hay is fair to good, while energy content is low. The coarse nature of peanut hay will result in a high degree of spoilage unless protected from rain. (Please note that certain chemicals used in peanut production are not cleared for the feeding of crop residue to livestock. Please read the label). This peanut hay should not be confused with perennial peanut hay. For more information on perennial peanut forage, please refer to the EDIS publication by Myer, et al. (2010).

Gizmom

we've used peanut hay for years. excellent feed. It has to wrapped or covered. It has gotten expensive around here with the average of 55 a roll. the cows will do well with it. horses will founder on it. like gizmom said its like candy and a horse will eat it until none is left. It will catch fire also if it goes thru a heat. it rolls better with a little moisture like and evening dew. a morning dew will make it too wet.

Is there a lot of leaves on it when it is harvested? While were were in our severe drought last year, the extension put on several forage tours. A big surprise to me was about soybean hay. Many producers were forced to roll it for hay since it was too dry to produce any soybeans, and it was being sold as an excellent feed source. When it is tested, it is high in all the good stuff. The problem is, cows will only eat the leaves (which often shatter and fall off) and leave all of the stem. So even though the hay tested great, it was just about worthless as a feed source. I thought that since peanuts are a legume like soybean, maybe it would be the same but I guess not!
Good to learn something new. Of course, out here, no one grows peanuts!

Very nice heifer with calf, and good to see a barn full of hay. But I believe I 'd have to have that snake boy checked out.

Latest posts