My Day Yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Wednesday was my B-day, thank goodness this all waited to happen the day AFTER, or I'd have been wondering what I did wrong.

First thing, we lost a set of twins. One was normal looking, the other had stiff joints. Sucks, but not a hugely big deal. But I detest losing calves, and am always wondering 'what if'

Then out feeding and my dog, who's job is to keep the cows away from the bale while I pull the strings off got kicked, or stepped on, or something, and ended up with a broken leg. The cows were being real miserable WITCHES, if you know what I mean. They are used to the dog, know that they are supposed to wait while I cut strings, it is not the first time he has been there, or the first time they have had to wait. Been using him for about 3 years now so not new to them at all. And, as soon as they hurt him, the entire herd turned on him too. Amazing to watch them when they knew they had him down. He got away from them, and once I had the feed out, they calmed down a bit. I got him in the truck safely. Fortunately, it turns out that he will just need a cast for about a month. Wasn't a terrible break that would force THAT decision, that would have been just a wonderful topper to the day, having to decide to either spend a bunch of money on him or put him down. Even though I was pretty sure the break was a minor one (just above his knee) and fixable, until the vet saw him, I was worried.

sorry that the cows went off on your dog.an busted his leg.i hope he wont be scared of the cows when he can go back to work.

First of all, Happy Belated Birthday. Glad your dog is going to be ok. I don't know why cows do that. The least little thing sets them off. Especially when their surroundings are familiar. We stand there and fuss at them. What is your problem. Who knows maybe they thought the dog was going to eat all of their hay.

Sorry about your dog. Cows can do stupid things for unknown reasons......

Just last week, I was going to feed them and when they saw me, they just came running and stampeded right thru a fence. That fence has been there for YEARS, so it's not like they didn't know it existed. Just run right over it.

randiliana":12ko5gyi said:
Wednesday was my B-day, thank goodness this all waited to happen the day AFTER, or I'd have been wondering what I did wrong.

First thing, we lost a set of twins. One was normal looking, the other had stiff joints. Sucks, but not a hugely big deal. But I detest losing calves, and am always wondering 'what if'

Then out feeding and my dog, who's job is to keep the cows away from the bale while I pull the strings off got kicked, or stepped on, or something, and ended up with a broken leg. The cows were being real miserable WITCHES, if you know what I mean. They are used to the dog, know that they are supposed to wait while I cut strings, it is not the first time he has been there, or the first time they have had to wait. Been using him for about 3 years now so not new to them at all. And, as soon as they hurt him, the entire herd turned on him too. Amazing to watch them when they knew they had him down. He got away from them, and once I had the feed out, they calmed down a bit. I got him in the truck safely. Fortunately, it turns out that he will just need a cast for about a month. Wasn't a terrible break that would force THAT decision, that would have been just a wonderful topper to the day, having to decide to either spend a bunch of money on him or put him down. Even though I was pretty sure the break was a minor one (just above his knee) and fixable, until the vet saw him, I was worried.
they'll do that to another cow too, when the down or injured

Why thanks, everyone :) , everything seems to have settled down around here, although I do miss my dog at chore time. He's convalescing in the house for the next month, getting spoiled. He is pretty aggressive, and this is not the first time he has been injured, just the first serious one. He could do to be a little scared of them though. Might slow him down a bit.

Thanks, Joy for the birthday wishes. I did have a good one.

I should have mentioned that it was cows with calves,older ones, he's not allowed to help around the new ones, I don't like having to worry about a cow running ME over when they are after the dog. But, still, they know him, and he helps every year at this time. Who knows, maybe they are just sick of the cold weather like the rest of us and took it out on him......

Ala, I have heard of that happening, but have never seen it. Had a friend lose a bull, all the others ganged up on him and killed him. Don't know if there was any 'legitimate' reason or if they just decided they didn't like him one day.

Randi
It must be somehing in the air. I came within an in of losing a piece of my jaw last night, from a yearling heifer.

I was carrying a bale in there to feed them and she came running by from behind me and kicked with both back legs as she went by. She came so close I could feel the wind from her hooves. Tonight I take the dog in with me and those little monsters will have plenty to do without kicking at me.

Latest posts