My Dad On His Way To Louisiana

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
Last night my dad took off to help some of those in need. Let me give you a little background first. He is a truck driver for Ryder, and they are contracted out to CVS Pharmacy. He leaves every Wednesday to go from Houston to Phoenix, and returns Saturday. The other day he got a call they were looking for someone to take a special run. He had to go up to Oklahoma City, pick up a trailer, bring it in to Dallas where he is based out of, switch to a brand new trailer that says CVS Pharmacy on it. Now he is off to a little town just southwest of Lafayette called Kaplan. Apparently, there is not one building still standing in Kaplan, and by morning they will be able to get trucks in. He has to be there at 7am and will be the first load that they have seen there. He is bringing an entire trailer full of over 4000 bags of ice. Supposedly it is some big high profile run that will be highly publicized. He has been driving since early this morning, and doesnt get to stop until he gets there.

Now, some of you are probably saying "That cant be legal to drive that long". If you are saying that, your right. But, he is now contracted out to FEMA also, and they give out stickers so that the driver does not have to keep log books and can ignore most of the laws.

The thing that made me really proud was that my dads boss said that my dad was the only one he would consider for the job. My dad is the kind of guy who doesnt ask questions, he gets an order, it will be done. Even at his old job, all of the other drivers did almost nothing, my dad was still doing exactly what he was supposed to.

Anyways, if you see on TV a trailer that says CVS Pharmacy in Kaplan, Louisiana, that is my dad there.

Well shucks, why cant I be famous under a good circumstance. Few years ago was famous across all of Texas because at our Ag barns there was packs of dogs killing animals. I think they attacked something like 45 animals that year. Killed about 25 of those 45. Was a rough year. Of course, couldnt sit out there with a gun because its school property, so police sat out there all night. Of course, the cops were more scared of the dogs than anyone else, and only had tranquilizer guns. Caught something like 13 dogs in one night, shot one and followed it to someones house. Found about 30 dogs at that one little one room shack.

Anyways, got lots of news coverage for that. I lost a hog, my brother lost his goat and hog. Everything we had at the time. Got extremely tired of the media. Made the reporter cry when she saw my pig with huge chunks torn out of it. Anyways, the media is annoying.

By the way, my dad isnt so excited about have that FEMA pass anymore. They had him go to Oklahoma city, pick up a trailer, back to Dallas to switch trailers, then to Kaplan, LA with no stops. Had to drive all night with no sleep to be there by 7:00. He got a little sleep while soldiers were unloading. Then they sent him back to Dallas to pick up another load now he is off to Beaumont. Not so nice being able to ignore the laws anymore. He has gotten 1 night of sleep in the last 3 days, but he keeps going without a complaint. He said it made him feel so good helping those people. He said the entire town was completely destroyed, not one building still standing.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":6swxnh0f said:
By the way, my dad isnt so excited about have that FEMA pass anymore. They had him go to Oklahoma city, pick up a trailer, back to Dallas to switch trailers, then to Kaplan, LA with no stops. Had to drive all night with no sleep to be there by 7:00. He got a little sleep while soldiers were unloading. Then they sent him back to Dallas to pick up another load now he is off to Beaumont. Not so nice being able to ignore the laws anymore. He has gotten 1 night of sleep in the last 3 days, but he keeps going without a complaint. He said it made him feel so good helping those people. He said the entire town was completely destroyed, not one building still standing.

Yeah it probably isn't alot of fun but I bet that they picked him not to be mean but because they knew he would get the job done. Tell him I said GOOD JOB.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":1umzn7l8 said:
Of course, couldnt sit out there with a gun because its school property, so police sat out there all night. Of course, the cops were more scared of the dogs than anyone else, and only had tranquilizer guns. Caught something like 13 dogs in one night, shot one and followed it to someones house. Found about 30 dogs at that one little one room shack.

bullcrap! I would be out there with a .270, SKS, .45, and a double barrel 10 gage with Buckshot.... mabye a couple of hand gernades waiting for those little boogers! :cboy: :cboy:

Of course it wasnt to be mean, my dads boss even said so. He said my dad is the only one he trusts enough to make the run. My dad has won Driver of the Year with Ryder for the entire SW Region before, and I think he is eligible again this year (I think only allowed every 3 years).

I would definately have been out there hunting some dogs, but with police patrolling, if they saw me I would be kicked out of school and thrown in jail. Well, there was one incident. Lets just say dog got stuck in trap, other dogs trying to get that dog out, and somehow it ended up with 9 bullets in its head, 3 of those straight in the mouth to the back of the throat. Somehow the next day dog was still alive and moving around (shot with a .22, I know, should have used stronger, but couldnt get to it). But we wont go there, I dont know how any of that happened. ;)

Latest posts