My cows love feed.

Help Support CattleToday:

stockbub

Reaction score
My cows love feed. I give them about 3 lbs a day. They have all the hay they want. Around 10:00, they will be content laying around. Ok, here is the problem. When I go and put out minerals loose), they want to eat it like food. Yesterday in 30 minutes, they ate 100 lbs. I know some will say, it is because they need it, and I agree, but I could go through 1000 lbs of mineral before they stop. I fed th, while they were full,but it did not help. They just eat the minerals like feed. Any suggestions

You might be but make sure you keep the mineral out 100% of the time. I also keep my mineral feeder away from my feed trough and generally try and fill it when the cows are being grained or not around. If you have switched mineral or keep it out inconsistently this could be some of the problem.

J&D Cattle":3gt87gh3 said:
You might be but make sure you keep the mineral out 100% of the time. I also keep my mineral feeder away from my feed trough and generally try and fill it when the cows are being grained or not around. If you have switched mineral or keep it out inconsistently this could be some of the problem.
I like to have a triangle with my hay, water, and mineral putting them on opposite sides of the pasture. If you put mineral close to a water or feed source they tend to consume more.

It is true that if they do not have access to mineral 24/7, they will consume a lot at first, then it tapers off. They eat a lot because they need it.

100 lbs of minerals isnt that much, depending on how many head you have. Like others have said here, keep it out all the time, and they will not consume as much.

We limit-feed hay & distiller's grain from Oct-Feb; the cows get their full day's ration in a 2-hr period, then have nothing else to do(and nothing else to eat) for the next 22 hrs. They'll over-consume mineral, just out of sheer boredom, I think. So...I've had to take to cutting my mineral mix 1:2 with white stock salt to keep 'em from eating me into the poor-house.

Isomade":qa0l7cbr said:
I like to have a triangle with my hay, water, and mineral putting them on opposite sides of the pasture. If you put mineral close to a water or feed source they tend to consume more.
That's how I do it. Water at the bottom of the hill, grass on the hill, salt and mineral either on top or out in the corners of the pasture. I made the mistake of explaining that trick to my wife and now she stocks all my beer in the barn fridge. :bang:

My cows love feed to, but my wallet doesn't. I put them trace mineral salt blocks in with my loose mineral. And it slows the comsumption down.

U have about 80 head. The problem was the speed at which it was consumed. I may have to mix with salt. I could see them going through 1000 lbs in a day. I will move it further away and try that. I know they need it, but do not know if it is better to get in their system slow, or if fast is ok as well.

stockbub":178nn5u0 said:
U have about 80 head. The problem was the speed at which it was consumed. I may have to mix with salt. I could see them going through 1000 lbs in a day. I will move it further away and try that. I know they need it, but do not know if it is better to get in their system slow, or if fast is ok as well.
If they haven't had any for a while they will eat it till their body gets what it needs. Also at different times of year they will consume more in spurts. Just put it out till they slow down on it.

Guys also remember that mineral companies are into selling minerals and not plain white salt. We get better gains if we keep a white salt block in with our lose minerals because the mineral compaines do not put enough salt in there mineral mix to meet cattle requirements. They want to sell minerals.

Yep, I forgot to mention thats what I do in my mineral feeders is keep a salt block in there too.

the biggest problem i have is with the calves over consuming, like a kid in a candy shop.. the cows usually take what they need and roll.. and why i like using a hanging feeder now

muleskinner":331gqbvj said:
Guys also remember that mineral companies are into selling minerals and not plain white salt. We get better gains if we keep a white salt block in with our lose minerals because the mineral compaines do not put enough salt in there mineral mix to meet cattle requirements. They want to sell minerals.

Absolutely they do or they wouldn't be mineral companies. And with all those expensive mineral in the mix one of the best ways for them to cut their cost is to add salt. Muleskinner, pen those cows up, take everything away from them except salt and water and see what kind of gain you get?? Double the number of salt blocks ... he77 you might double your gain. :tiphat:

You're worried about them eating too much mineral, and you are feeding them 240# of grain a day :shock: If you can afford to do that, why worry about how much mineral they are eating. They should need the mineral MORE than they need to be grained - unless you have some really thin cows that you are trying to get back into shape for calving - or you don't have enough hay & you are trying to stretch your supply. Research shows that limit feeding hay works well if you are short of hay.

Latest posts