My cow does not produce milk after birth. No milk for calf

Help Support CattleToday:

boymasangcay":32cu3l36 said:
I got worried. My cow did not produce milk after birth. This happened twice already. How can I treat the ailment?

Thanks

salebarn

I would venture to say that she's probably producing some milk, but not much. If that's the case, I agree with whatabull, you should sell her as soon as possible. She will never have a calf with any size.

Take the others advice and sell her. Some cows just never do have milk and after this many tries, she isn't going too. Just be responsible and sell her as a weight cow. Don't pass her onto someone else by selling as a breeder.

As a last resort, try giving her 2 cc of Oxytocin intramuscularly. If she's got milk, she will NOT be able to withhold it from the calf after that shot. Takes about ten-fifteen minutes for the shot to work.

If she doesn't (and at one point I had the dandiest red angus cow that was like that...long since sold), send her to the sale barn and either sell her calf, graft it onto another cow, or be prepared to bottle/pail feed the little booger.

Take care.

CattleAnnie - good idea. That can work. Haven't done so myself so have a few questions. Once she lets milk down, will she continue to do so as long as calf is on her? Or does she quit milking when shot wears off? Do you have to give shots every so often? Do you recommend selling this one after she raises the calf? When I saw your response, I thought - duh, I should have thought of that. Just haven't ever done it so am curious as to all the involvement in it.

Usually one shot is all that's required. Seems like once they relax enough to let that milk down and that calf gets a belly-full, the old maternal instinct kicks in and it's all roses from there on in.

However, as in the red angus cull, some cows simply due not have enough milk for a calf (ie. old, bad genetics, what-have-you), so if they have the shot and still seems like the calf just never stops bunting the bag and keeps going quickly from one teat to the next hunting for groceries, sell her.

Also, if I have to fuss around with Oxy to get a cow to milk, she'd definately be up on the cull list, along with mastitis cows, prolapsers, c-sects,etc.

Of course, all above is simply one person's opinion. ;-)

Take care.

CattleAnnie - I would take your opinion to the bank. Thought it all should work like that just wasn't sure. Also agree with how you'd handle everything afterwards. I use oxy occasionally to assist with piggin' gilts when they seem to give up before the job is done. Know the cost is low. If you used to let milk down on cow - would you need to for every calving? If cows disposition is easy and throws good calves, I could see it being ok to keep the cow. Thoughts?

Farmhand":1qybtif6 said:
If you used to let milk down on cow - would you need to for every calving? If cows disposition is easy and throws good calves, I could see it being ok to keep the cow. Thoughts?
Used it on a first calver year before last. Was low on cow numbers and kept her. She calved last year with a full udder. Weaned one of the heaviest calves.
Not standard pratice here to allow a screwup. But I couldn't replace her for a reasonable price.

Muratic - thanks for the info. Glad it worked out. Think I'll add that to my list of reasons for giving a second chance. Maybe not a third though. Could be something she'd pass on to offspring and I wouldn't want a whole herd of those.

I wouldn't recommend anyone else to try it, however I would try it myself on a cow with no milk.

Happy Jack Milkade (yes I know its made for dogs only), but it does work and I have given it to my mare before with excellent results. I mixed half a bottle with sweet feed because the stuff is high calcium and phosphorous and stinks.

Also you might check with your feed store and give her dairy cow feed to see if her milk increases.

My mentor told me if you have a cow that won't give milk, sell her and don't ever look back as there are too many cows out there that will raise a good calf.