My cow are dying

Help Support CattleToday:

I think I would try to figure out whats ailing them before I shipped them to the sale barn.
That's just passing the illness to someone else.

Cal

I ask several people what would be best the cake or the tubs, then I ask if I needed to put out mineral or put out mineral fortified tubs, I may have got it all wrong.

Everyone has different opinion - ask your VET. Follow their advice. Until you know more, that's your safest option.

How long have those bloods been away? You might need to get on the phone, find out what information has come back, remind the vet/receptionists that it's urgent... it's not unknown for such things to get misplaced, or for results to come back un-noticed.

Do you mind if I ask what breed of cattle you're running? It's a while since I've looked at those condition score charts, but for dairy, that's light to almost acceptable; for beef, 3 - 4 must be practically emaciated.

It's real trust me, nothing to joke about.
AngusLimoX":12x7lcs6 said:
BRYANT":12x7lcs6 said:
Well I have been following this post for a few days and the more I read the more I wonder if this is even real or just a joke ???

ding ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Got the results from the Vet today she says that the calcium and magnesium level are very low as well as the protien levels. The vet pulled blood on Sat and then again after we medicated two days on Monday. Angus Brangus Cross
regolith":1lruikb1 said:
I ask several people what would be best the cake or the tubs, then I ask if I needed to put out mineral or put out mineral fortified tubs, I may have got it all wrong.

Everyone has different opinion - ask your VET. Follow their advice. Until you know more, that's your safest option.

How long have those bloods been away? You might need to get on the phone, find out what information has come back, remind the vet/receptionists that it's urgent... it's not unknown for such things to get misplaced, or for results to come back un-noticed.

Do you mind if I ask what breed of cattle you're running? It's a while since I've looked at those condition score charts, but for dairy, that's light to almost acceptable; for beef, 3 - 4 must be practically emaciated.

What was the protocol your vet recommended.

You also need to get some electrolytes ASAP. Any farm store or feed store should carry them.... they are very reasonably priced (less than $3 per pkg) and you need about a half dozen of them...... take at least 3 pkgs and mix with your grain (this won't work if you are feeding cubes) or mix it in your loose mineral or if they are watering out of a tub then you can add it to the water. This will help give them a boost to get their vitamin/mineral needs met. Repeat it in about 3 days and you may need to repeat it again in another 7 days. At the very least, call your vet and ask if it'd be okay to give them the electrolytes as they've seen the condition of your cows and I have not.

That won't help your protein needs as that will come from the grain or higher quality hay.

Thanks for the information things seem to be getting a little better still having issues with prolasp.
MoGal":3twcp2gx said:
What was the protocol your vet recommended.

You also need to get some electrolytes ASAP. Any farm store or feed store should carry them.... they are very reasonably priced (less than $3 per pkg) and you need about a half dozen of them...... take at least 3 pkgs and mix with your grain (this won't work if you are feeding cubes) or mix it in your loose mineral or if they are watering out of a tub then you can add it to the water. This will help give them a boost to get their vitamin/mineral needs met. Repeat it in about 3 days and you may need to repeat it again in another 7 days. At the very least, call your vet and ask if it'd be okay to give them the electrolytes as they've seen the condition of your cows and I have not.

That won't help your protein needs as that will come from the grain or higher quality hay.

What causes this? I have been told that it goes back to minerals.
AngusLimoX":2z0i6g4k said:
jarhead":2z0i6g4k said:
Thanks for the information things seem to be getting a little better still having issues with prolasp.

Ya gotta hate them issues.

Prolapse can be attributed to body condition, feed, genetics, unless they are really severely lacking in something in the mineral department that would be way down on my list of things

Latest posts