My busy week ahead.

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
This will be a usual busy week for me. I'm off tomorrow to a Hereford Open Day about 115 kilometres away and then onto the next day to a breeder who is breeding Gyr type Brahmans. I actually bought my first registered Brahman from these people way back in 1975. He was a grey that was the reserve senior champion at the Sydney Royal of that year. I showed him at our local show of that year and came home with the Grand Championship. These people were out of the Brahman breed for a while then came back into with these Gyr Type Cattle. They also have about 200+ Angus breeders and 20,000 fine wool Merino sheep. Hopefully the weather will be warm enough. We aren't participating this year in these media organized Beef Week. We will have our open day in February when its nice and warm and green. Not when its cold and brown.
Have more cattle work to do later in the week,break in a few South Devons and Brahmans. Have a load of 40 round bales of rhodes grass hay coming one of the days later in the week.
Colin :D

Hope you have a good time Colin!! Wish I was in your place right now!
I'll be spending the next two weeks cramming and sitting exams- oh, the joy!
After that I'm heading back to work to break in the team for this year's Heifer Expo and the Royal, as well as going up to Alice Springs for the show and sale there.
I can't wait til exams are over!

Good luck to you both, hope you enjoy yourself Colin.

Killala...best of everything for your exams, my son is in the middle of his, so have a rough idea what you are going through.

Thanks chrisy- I can do with as many good wishes as I can get right now! :D Good luck to your son too.

Had a nice two days. Seen some nice Hereford cattle. Picked out a joined 2 year old dark coloured heifer to try and buy at their production sale next month. She could make up to $5,000. There will be a great lineup of bulls at their sale. Last year the bulls sold to $47,500,and a cow with calf at foot sold for $7,500. Heifers made to $4,000.
The second day I seen a herd of Gyr cattle,the best I've ever seen. Magnificent line of cows. These people used to breed grey Brahmans (I bought my first bull off them 31 years ago)
They have been selling their 12 month old Gyr bulls for $5,000.
I've picked out a polled red 13 month old Brahman bull that I might purchase. I don't need a new bull yet but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and grab an opportunity when it presents.
The weather on day two was chilly and a little rainy. The company was good and I met up with some other old friends that I hadn't seen for a long time.
Colin

Latest posts