My Best Post Ever

Help Support CattleToday:

4CTophand

Reaction score
Re: AI & Genetic Diversity

Postby 4CTophand on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:33 pm

SRBeef wrote:The recent issue of Hereford World had an article where they said almost 50% of the new Hereford registrations were from AI rather than natural service. I assume there is a similar percentage in other breeds?

If, and I'm not sure of the numbers, these AI calves are mostly from a relatively limited number of "popular" AI bulls, wouldn't that limit the genetic diversity over time? Doesn't this increase the possibility of more curly calf type situations?

Doesn't natural service encourage use of a larger number of bulls and maintain a wider genetic base? Doesn't natural service also maintain a market for more bulls and breeders?

Just a newcomer's theoretical question.

If, and I'm not sure of the numbers, these AI calves are mostly from a relatively limited number of "popular" AI bulls, wouldn't that limit the genetic diversity over time?

From a PB Angus and Simmental Breeder:
It is true that more than 50% of the calves born in these 2 breeds are AI sired, and by doing so--
1. PB breeders and commercial operations alike are able to utilize Bulls with outstanding traits.
2. Breeder services have a lot of data behind AI sires, which provides valuable information of those quality traits.
3. AI sired calves bring more $$ (because of that information on traits)
4. Cost of AI vs keeping bulls available for pasture breeding (AI is cheaper) (may be more involved --- your time)
5. A smaller window of calving can be accomplished using AI and calves are more uniform in size and weight, which increases profits
6. Limiting some genetics is a good thing -- like bad calving ease, poor structure, sub-par fertility, horns.
7. And I haven't ever had to go out and either bring in my AI bulls, vaccinated them, worm them, trim feet. show them or feed them
You must remember the PB breeders scope is much different than the commercial producer because "we" are trying to raise breeding stock that the industry wants--- for the commercial cattle operator/ stocker/ feedyard/ packer; and 90% of the PB bulls go to commercial operators.

Doesn't this increase the possibility of more curly calf type situations?

As far as genetic Fubars like -- CCS. CCS has been isolated in the Angus breed with only a few bloodlines being affected... we are lucky that we have dedicated people working for us in our breed associations and universities that are on the ball. Not everyone does, for instance: Other Fubars like -- PHA and TH in Maine Anjou is still ongoing and hurts their popularity immensely.Traced back to a Bull born in 1970 and work began to isolate its' occurence didnt start until 2006 in M.A. -- they have a long long long way to go.

Doesn't natural service encourage use of a larger number of bulls and maintain a wider genetic base?

Natural service will always be a part of our cattle industry as some ranchers just don't have the time or want to invest in the time to use AI, but many do... I don't know about you, but I am willing to forgo some of the traits out there that are not getting it done.

Doesn't natural service also maintain a market for more bulls and breeders?

Sure it does, but I believe there are a lot of breeds out there that don't even need to be here. Some breeds just don't have the genetic traits that make the most $$-- why have them?

I am hoping some day cattle producers will be held responsible for not only quantity pounds of beef produced, but also and most importantly quality pounds produced. Aren't we in the BEEF business? Doesn't Quality count? If we adhered to what we really should believe in, which is Quality of our Product we wouldn't need over 100 breeds of cattle taking up valuable space in this country. LOL

There are over 100 different breeds in the US alone... from Dexter to Wagyu. This is proof that the US cattle raiser will not ever work together and with this lack of cooperation, you lose in this society. Some just need to go.

You know what having 100 breeds of cattle in the US reminds me of?

Newt Gingrich said it best prior to the Democratic National Convention (DNC)>>> He said "the DNC was the largest conglomeration of idiots, liars and fools ever assembled under one roof".

We would have the same thing be said of us, as cattle raisers, if we ever were brought all together to discuss the need for 100 different cattle breeds in the US.

So now you think I am off topic?

You are asking about Diversity--- we have PLENTY NOW---

and what do we get from all this diversity??? --

the most important thing you won't think of>>>>>> NO Uniformity of Product Produced!

Just think what would happen if every time Roger Clemmons picked up a baseball it was a little smaller or little larger to pitch it to A-Rod? ----- he would be in the Hall of Shame for Most Wild Pitches ever thrown in a career!

Well now, after that, nothing more needs to be said!

Thank you for your wisdom "little" man........ :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I bet you're a member of that DNC that you speak about too.

Once again - 4CBigHat: All hat / no cattle

grannysoo said:

Thank you for your wisdom "little" man......

I bet you're a member of that DNC that you speak about too. (one day when you ar of age to vote-- I hope it is for the right reasons) now back to school kid

Wow, shame on me. Our pasture has more colors than a box of crayons.
Now all I need to do is figure out which color to get rid of.
After reading all that I am embarassed. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Time to start culling.

Cal

4CTophand":21o74vkp said:
grannysoo":21o74vkp said:

Thank you for your wisdom "little" man......

I bet you're a member of that DNC that you speak about too. (one day when you ar of age to vote-- I hope it is for the right reasons) now back to school kid

By the way Mr. Wisdom (that's you 4CBigHat), learn to use the quote system correctly and check your spelling. Seems you have problems when you're not doing the copy/paste routine.

You so smart................. (tiny) :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Calman":2fhy454j said:
Time to start culling.

Cal
Interesting post --- since nowhere above is there any mention of a color..
ya know ya could have just kept going and go post elsewhere especially after leaving an improvident one

4CTophand":1087qu2o said:
You are asking about Diversity--- we have PLENTY NOW---

and what do we get from all this diversity??? --

the most important thing you won't think of>>>>>> NO Uniformity of Product Produced!

Calman":1087qu2o said:
Time to start culling.

Cal
Interesting post --- since nowhere above is there any mention of a color..
ya know ya could have just kept going and go post elsewhere especially after leaving an improvident one

NO Uniformity of Product Produced!

Looks to me like you told Cal they all have to look alike, that his herd of many colors won't cut it.

angie":29oc1pf8 said:
Am I the only one who read that, and thought "huh?"? :help: :oops:

Yeah, I was all confused too. Saw the title "My Best Post Ever" and saw your name and thought it had something to do with that turkey you tried to cook in 07. :shock:

MistyMorning":1z33rt03 said:
Yeah, I was all confused too. Saw the title "My Best Post Ever" and saw your name and thought it had something to do with that turkey you tried to cook in 07. :shock:
What are you doing here?? Don't you have a big weekend coming up? You know ~ pack your prettiest feathers, and hit the slopes?? :pretty:

angie":39bzqlzx said:
MistyMorning":39bzqlzx said:
What are you doing here?? Don't you have a big weekend coming up? You know ~ pack your prettiest feathers, and hit the slopes?? :pretty:

Why yes I do as a matter of fact, next weekend that is. :D But, gosh Angel, I feel so bad hijacking Mr. CT's thread here and all, ALTHOUGH should I have a spectacular weekend I may be able to report in with "MY BEST POST EVER" :D

MistyMorning":1fseznkz said:
Why yes I do as a matter of fact, next weekend that is. :D But, gosh Angel, I feel so bad hijacking Mr. CT's thread here and all, ALTHOUGH should I have a spectacular weekend I may be able to report in with "MY BEST POST EVER" :D
Its OK ~ I don't know that anyone is reading it.

Sure would like to thank you for "forgetting"to invite me when making reservations ( :roll: ) even though I made a pinky promise that what happens in Lutsen stays in Lutsen..... :roll: For sure you will write about it ~ and remember a pic is worth 1000 words!

angie":2ea8al6s said:
MistyMorning":2ea8al6s said:
Its OK ~ I don't know that anyone is reading it.

:lol2: :clap:

Sure would like to thank you for "forgetting"to invite me when making reservations ( :roll: ) even though I made a pinky promise that what happens in Lutsen stays in Lutsen..... :roll: For sure you will write about it ~ and remember a pic is worth 1000 words!

Pinky promise be dammed,I would have invited you if I knew you wouldn't stuff that stupid squirrel monkey in your ski bag. :roll: For sure I hope to live to write about it. :shock:

MistyMorning":2sc5j5uv said:
,I would have invited you if I knew you wouldn't stuff that stupid squirrel monkey in your ski bag. :roll: [/b]
See how she talks about you, dun?
:help:
I think Macon should consider some sort of discipline... :nod:

angie":2jk5zwgx said:
MistyMorning":2jk5zwgx said:
,I would have invited you if I knew you wouldn't stuff that stupid squirrel monkey in your ski bag. :roll: [/b]
See how she talks about you, dun?
:help:
I think Macon should consider some sort of discipline... :nod:

I've been called worse, by you!

dun":2moyv1jk said:
I've been called worse, by you!
Huh. That means MM has been tattling as well....... :compute: :roll:
I really need to hone these VooDoo skills.

hides {color} horns and hair, boy they'd really rip me up wouldn't they? since i raise highlands, reason beeing i do is the land we have, besides having a crazy neighbor who is brunt out and thinks i have a herd of "YETTIE" roaming around. i dont have pasture grass good enough for heavy breed of cattle i need somthing that eats roughage like the mules and donkeys and will clean up and build my pasture.. which they are the best thing ever. easy to handle, hardy, you call them they come, switching over from one field to another open the gate and walk thru. they will follow.. kinda funny if i ride my mule in pasture field. its a parade .all the other mules and donks. plus all the cows and bull.. single file. looks like a " reverse cattle drive" LOL
cowpic006.jpg

this is grayson. who loves to have a good chin rub. i take him to the county fair, he is halter broke, leads loads. he isnt gonna get very big his mom was very old { her last calf} not sure if that had any thing to do with it or not but hes a "mini moo". ppl here have never seen such a cow. gonna train him to pull a cart this spring. i have an easy entry cart too small for any of the equine i have but i got a bovine that will fit lol trying to figure out what bit i should use snaffle or " horn hackmore" LOL
have to keep things entertaining here on the farm LOL
rose

4CTophand said:
Re: AI & Genetic Diversity

Postby 4CTophand on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:33 pm

I am hoping some day cattle producers will be held responsible for not only quantity pounds of beef produced, but also and most importantly quality pounds produced. Aren't we in the BEEF business? Doesn't Quality count? If we adhered to what we really should believe in, which is Quality of our Product we wouldn't need over 100 breeds of cattle taking up valuable space in this country. LOL

There are over 100 different breeds in the US alone... from Dexter to Wagyu. This is proof that the US cattle raiser will not ever work together and with this lack of cooperation, you lose in this society. Some just need to go.

You know what having 100 breeds of cattle in the US reminds me of?

Newt Gingrich said it best prior to the Democratic National Convention (DNC)>>> He said "the DNC was the largest conglomeration of idiots, liars and fools ever assembled under one roof".

We would have the same thing be said of us, as cattle raisers, if we ever were brought all together to discuss the need for 100 different cattle breeds.

Now scuse me if im wrong,as it don't take too many smarts to figure out your saying it will never work to have cattle of different breeds.
Now correct me if i'm wrong but don't different breeds have different colors, or are some of those off color critters in my pasture a different animal.
I really need to know,mister cattle master,because all this time i've been treating them as cattle,and if I continue they might just fall dead all a$$ in a pile in my pasture.

It's funny that other members on here knew what I was talking about, and you the one who tries to come off as the most intellegent person that ever raised cattle had not a clue.

Really makes me wonder if you ever even seen cattle before,or just like to read and post.

Now having said all this I am through posting on this subject.
You have showed your true colors to all on here.

You have yourself a mighty nice day. Cal

CKC1586":1qlw6hm8 said:
angie":1qlw6hm8 said:
Am I the only one who read that, and thought "huh?"? :help: :oops:
Seems to be my usual response to his posts..... :roll: :???:

That post in the Breeds starts out with, "How to Choose your Commercial Crosses Based on Carcass Merit"

This is a "How To" statement from someone who is actually asking what to do, or so it seems after reading all the hoopla.

When you get into the body of the opinionated text and it critiques breed traits; e.g. growth potential, heat tolerance and a host of other things. It is out there. Some of the facts stated have been around for over 30 years that I know of and so have opinions expressed.

Many breeds, including MGs, are not even mentioned in the opinions.

Latest posts