My 3 bull calves, and some replacement heifer candidates

Help Support CattleToday:

My heifer Ziva has FINALLY settled down. She was the worst about that!
Shes a whole different animal now that shes a mama. That bucking and jumping really worried me for a while. Dang 1100 pound heifer acting like that.... sheesh
they usually do settle down.. Remember Hera the brat that jumped fences and would graze in the yard? she's a really calm cow now

Just my two cents, I think a lot of people sell their cattle short and put too much faith in other's breeding programs. If what you have works in your environment and management and you know all the details about the animals history, then that cuts out some unknown variables.
I agree with this 100%
when it really sets in is when you purchase a heifer and bring her home and put her by your other heifers.
I've been disappointed a few times once I seem them in the pasture with my other cattle.

I agree with this 100%
when it really sets in is when you purchase a heifer and bring her home and put her by your other heifers.
I've been disappointed a few times once I seem them in the pasture with my other cattle.
The only female I've bought since we started is Robin shown in the pics above.. Hannah was her first calf out of my homeraised bull.. I'm looking forward to see how she develops, I like her so far

Hands down - 3J heifer - best rear leg and balance all through.
On the bulls - Tommy seems best - best real leg also.
All look good. Great pics.
3J (Java) does look the best from the side, but several of the others look better when looking over their back with more muscle and meat

5J (Poppy) on the left, Java on the right

20210620_104205.jpg

Here's an update..

Cenci and Ares

Prada and Tommy's butt
20210718_103326.jpg

Hestia and her steer
20210718_103124.jpg

Haida and Scratchy
20210718_103152.jpg

Robin and Java
20210718_103453.jpg

Hera and Lilly
20210718_103652.jpg

Poppy
20210718_103617.jpg

Tommy getting his chin scratched.. he's in heaven!
20210718_104023.jpg

Cenci and Ares
20210718_104121.jpg

Chroma and Pan
20210718_104406.jpg

Tommy, Ares in the background
20210718_103918.jpg

Attachments

• 20210718_104049.jpg
    20210718_104049.jpg
    652.7 KB · Views: 1
Your OOPS calf looks real nice . Really coming along and the momma doesn't look like it hurt her any.

Still like Tommy the best of the boys....
Yeah, oops baby isn't doing bad all things considered.. if he was born full term he'd be 6 weeks old now

I do like tommy the best as well

Here's a few more pics, this is Dusty (first timer) and her steer Dolos (153 days old here).. I'll probably keep him for my freezer beef, he looks really good and is friendly.. Here's my rebuttal to the what I think is an exaggeration of hybrid vigor, especially when using composite breeds that are similar
20210722_103147.jpg20210722_103138.jpg

Zippy and her steer Veles, he's not quite the hunk Dolos (130 days old) is, but she's doing alright.. I wish both her and Dusty had a little more condition, I might wean their calves in a couple weeks so they get some fat on them before winter
20210722_191124.jpg20210722_191138.jpg

I think both of them will make really good cows when they mature, not too big, and they've already proven they can milk well, Both of them are from Prada's family line with Hector as a sire, Zippy's grandsire is Marko

I love it when a producer is actually able to SEE his cattle and realize their BCS. Too many people are totally barn blind and never see their cattle as they really are. Kutos to you!!!
Yes, these two young moms are thin - but they are really working for you. Young cows are a little more susceptible to heavy worm loads - might be something to check on them?
You do a great job with your herd.

I love it when a producer is actually able to SEE his cattle and realize their BCS. Too many people are totally barn blind and never see their cattle as they really are. Kutos to you!!!
Yes, these two young moms are thin - but they are really working for you. Young cows are a little more susceptible to heavy worm loads - might be something to check on them?
You do a great job with your herd.
One of my big problems this year is I had a lot of hay, more than I could feed, but my first cut was not marketable, it had rain on it, some weeds in it, so I had to sell my 2nd cut and feed my cows the less nutritious first cut, I gave them LOTS and didn't care if they wasted some, but still the protein level wasn't there, and for those two young cows at the bottom of the pecking order and milking hard, it just wasn't good for them.. The solid tan one is going to be late calving next year for sure... it's a fine line having them in the right condition before calving, not too fat and not skinny either.. I did have a 25% protein lick tub when they were on hay but they didn't eat much of it

The momma of the one with the white milked herself down really badly last year and looked like skin and bones last fall, and wasn't bred.. unfortunatley I'd already culled hard by the time I found that out so she got a pass, she'll have a calf in a few months.. She looks like a whole new cow now, she's put on a MASSIVE amount of weight, she's gone from the bottom of the pecking order to be a challenger to some boss cows.. Her topline looks way better too now
What do you think, Daughter is probably a BCS 3, Momma a BCS 6-7? 20210718_104315.jpg

Grandma is the one that had twins last year, and I kept the heifer, but I didn't beat the odds and I think she is a freemartin, so she'll be freezer beef next year (I was prepared for this).. She was SOLID RED last winter and all of a sudden she turned roan, and all 4 hooves went from black to white
2 year old (full) sister on the left, she's on the right
20210718_104445.jpg

20210722_192352.jpg

20210718_104424.jpg

This is her last fall (full sister behind her)
20200915_111519.jpg

They look good. Those young cows are working hard.

Some of the best cows I have ever bought have been 3 yr olds out of dispersals bred early. There calves bring more than they do because they have put everything into those calves and as a result look like hell, and you can see what there sisters and dam look like.

Latest posts