My 2018 WTH moment

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Never fails to see something every year that we've never seen before. This is a picture of the cow I had to help her calf nurse due to large teats. Plan to sell the cow, decided that first milking lol.. Anywho, I noticed this a few weeks ago, but thought I was seeing things. Got them up to worm and as she ran through the gate I was working, I saw that she was minus a teat. Saw it again when we got the bulls up. At first I thought it was cut off, the dang things were like 6 inches long so that's not impossible. But, it really didn't look like it was cut, but rather receded upwards...I know that cant be good, but she's obviously milking fine in the other 3 because her calf is huge.
Anyone ever have this happen and know why it did this. It was milking just fine in the chute.. Didn't want her picture taken, so best I could get....

Haven't seen that, but I do have a cow that was born with only three. She has two quarters and a half. Raises good calves and hasn't passed the trait along.

I had one with a gangrenous quarter. The whole teat and quarter just fell out and all healed up quickly, no treatment and never missed a beat.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
I had one with a gangrenous quarter. The whole teat and quarter just fell out and all healed up quickly, no treatment and never missed a beat.
Same here. Briefly bled and was on her merry way. Amazing.

wbvs58":8ydasz09 said:

Ken
We've had them do this too... Its been a while.. This one never swelled... One day ok, the next boop gone.

I guess if I get her up I could try and pull it down. Is that a thing? We deal with a lot of teats and after so many years, this happens.... so weird

This time of year if they aren't milking on certain quarters they will shrink up, if her's were extra long they just look shorter. Have seen some with regular teats do this ,they shrink up like buttons and the calf only sucks the remaining good teats.

callmefence":3mvgsw2z said:
ALACOWMAN":3mvgsw2z said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3mvgsw2z said:
Looks like she's been going door to door with the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Got a door slammed shut on it...

Thanks. Been trying to figure that one out all day.

She said it was "receded upward". Otherwise known as an inverted nipple.
Why do Jehovah's Witness have inverted nipples? Surely you can figure this part out.

Farm Fence Solutions":2qqa77ea said:
callmefence":2qqa77ea said:
ALACOWMAN":2qqa77ea said:

Why do Jehovah's Witness have inverted nipples? Surely you can figure this part out.

:???: :pop:

Farm Fence Solutions":2t4a4w7q said:
callmefence":2t4a4w7q said:
ALACOWMAN":2t4a4w7q said:

From getting poked in chest and told to get off the porch.

The vertical vs horizontal deal threw me ok. .....if you poked a cow in the chest you'd be poking around the brisket.
I'd never heard the joke. The really bad jokes from up North don't make it to Texas..... Oklahoma filters them out.

Latest posts