Muzzle Brakes

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleAnnie

Reaction score
I've got a 7mm Wetherby rifle that I love to use, but it kicks like a mule. I'd like to do more shooting with it, but my shoulder aches after three rounds. The boys at the Sporting Goods store suggest a muzzle brake, but I've never fired a rifle that had one.

What's the general feeling on them? Does it affect the accuracy?
(These might be silly questions to those that are experienced with these things, but I'd really appreciate an unbiased opinion from someone that's not trying to sell me something.)

Thanks and take care.

CattleAnnie":2ukoxq40 said:
I've got a 7mm Wetherby rifle that I love to use, but it kicks like a mule. I'd like to do more shooting with it, but my shoulder aches after three rounds. The boys at the Sporting Goods store suggest a muzzle brake, but I've never fired a rifle that had one.

What's the general feeling on them? Does it affect the accuracy?
(These might be silly questions to those that are experienced with these things, but I'd really appreciate an unbiased opinion from someone that's not trying to sell me something.)

Thanks and take care.

Properly installed they usually don't have much affect on accurracy. But, there is alwasy the possibility that by changing the harmonics of the barrel that is can affect the load that shoots most accurately. Although they do mitigate the recoil, they are louder. The actaul shooter doesn't notice it as much, but anyonne slightly to the side of the shooter will really notice it. Depending on the design it can be just much louder to almost painfully louder. If you use a muzzlebrake, alwasy wherre hearing protection when firing it. A higher quality recoil pad like those from PAST will help some, or a shoulder pad made by the same company will also help. It alwasy seemed to me that you needed to decide which was the most acceptable form of inconvenience. The pads or the hearing protection. I had a number of hard kickers MagnaPorted and the did help soome, but more with muzzle flip then actual recoil. That process never affected the accuracy. But they weren't sub MOA rifles in the first place so a little bit of change may not have been noticed. There are also mercury recoil suppressors that can be installed in the butt thqat will help significantly, but they affect the overall handling characteristics of the rifle because of the weight in the butt.

dun

This would be a big change but you can get a different barrel that will drastically reduce the kick. I can't remenber what it is called because my Dad just did it and it didn't stick in my head yet. My Dad did this on my new bear/elk gun he just bought me. I wouldn't shoot it because it almost rocked him off of his feet, now it isn't much more then my 243 kicks. I can get the info from my dad on what it is if you are interested, pm me.

I've recieved much information about a brake for my 300 Weatherby. I haven't taken the time to do it, but Weatherby makes a brake specifically for their rifles. All claims I hear, they don't effect accuracy, but your rifle will be much louder. Sheez...7MM Weatherby is a heck of alot of gun for a man, much a less an Annie!

monkeywerkz":yrxsj6h6 said:
I guess I am naive about this, but why would the noise increase so much?
The gas (and noise) is angled towards the rear instead of straight out in front

dun

Thanks all. I appreciate the input and advice.

DR, yeah, it's kind of a big one, but sure knocks a moose or bear off it's feet in a hurry. Shoots nice and flat, too.

Take care.

Latest posts