Must see towns in the deep south

Help Support CattleToday:

aussie_cowgirl

Reaction score
What are some nice towns in the south of the USA? Sometime in the next few years I want to go over for a looksie and I'm kind of drawn to the small southern town idea. I watch too much TV I guess. Alternatively, where are some nice places in the USA in general. I'm not a big touristy person, I like immersing myself in the true culture of a place.

Do like everyone else seems to do and go to Granbury Texas. My home town. I have met folks from all over the world there looking around. Including people from your part of the globe.

The Great Smoky Mountains, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg. Heck anywhere in East Tennessee is beautiful especially in fall when the leaves begin to change color.

dieselbeef":1kn13u8b said:
macon ga has alot of pre civil war stuff still standing...seems they missed it during the mass burnings

Macon does have a lot, but you need to be careful when in Macon or most other GA towns and cities. Also try Savannah, Georgia and St. Augustine, Florida.

Since you like to show, maybe you should visit during a stock show. In Texas, there are lots of shows in semi small towns as well as large ones. West Texas Fair in Abilene, Heart of Texas in Waco, State Fair in Dallas to name a few in the fall. Spring has Ft. Worth, San Antonio, and Houston Stock Shows. Everybody love the show in Denver, Co... I know, not deep south, but cool never the less.

All it takes is about 1 to 2 hours of driving to get from large cities to small towns. Always check with someone close to find out about the parts of town you should avoid. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the suggestions. Fortunately driving isn't really an issue. Because I live in Western Australia everything is far away, home town is 700km from the capital city, about a 4 day drive to the northern point and the closest towns are a 4 hour drive away. Talk about isolated.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":3hl0h5uc said:
The Great Smoky Mountains, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg. Heck anywhere in East Tennessee is beautiful especially in fall when the leaves begin to change color.
That's a nice area and Gatlinburg is pretty cool but Pigeon Forge is the tackiest most over-commercialized town in the country. Would it even be there without Dollywood? Personally, I like the Johnson City area best in E.Tennessee. In fact the Johnson City area is one of my favorite areas anywhere.

Bastrop,Texas is a nice little town,some old houses,State Parks such--If you'd google map it,you'd get a pretty good idea..some tiny towns.McDade,Blue,Cistern,Elgin..well,Elgin isn't so little..

It is not in the real deep south, but Eureka Springs, Arkansas in late October is incredibly beautiful. The leaves are beautiful colors, and the city is built into the bluffs and steep hillsides. It is really beautiful. It is about 45 miles from Branson, Missouri and Silver Dollar City. Silver Dollar City is where Shepherd of the Hills was written about. It has become too commercialized, but still worth the trip, but don't miss Eureka Springs for a trip back in time.

Charleston South Carolina is a beautiful town with lots of history. Lots to do there too. Fantastic aquarium and there is the battery overlooking Fort Sumter. Lots of hole in the wall restaurants and bars hidden from the view of most tourists. You have to immerse yourself in the town to learn of these places. If you happen to find yourself in the area ask around and find some peach leather. It will be a memorable treat.

Jogeephus":2ta8uims said:
Charleston South Carolina is a beautiful town with lots of history. Lots to do there too. Fantastic aquarium and there is the battery overlooking Fort Sumter. Lots of hole in the wall restaurants and bars hidden from the view of most tourists. You have to immerse yourself in the town to learn of these places. If you happen to find yourself in the area ask around and find some peach leather. It will be a memorable treat.

Yeah, that's how I like to travel. When I went to Europe the most rewarding part of my travels was immersing myself in places. I mentioned ages ago about my trip to Spain and being a part of fiesta in a town in the north with only <4000 people. Even in Paris and Lyon I made some friends who showed me the hidden parts. Lyon in France has this awesome pirate themed shooter bar which is underground and made to look like the inside of a pirate ship. Very cool. Travelling that way is so much more rewarding. I might even try to get what they call a working holiday visa to the US, take a year off uni and do the whole hog.

I like to do the same. I lived in Charleston for several months when I was younger and each weekend I learned more and more about the place. They have the tourist stuff but what's neat is they have the a whole other economy hidden behind all of this. Place grew on me so much I've been back twice since.

ga. prime":fjtmbas6 said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":fjtmbas6 said:
That's a nice area and Gatlinburg is pretty cool but Pigeon Forge is the tackiest most over-commercialized town in the country. Would it even be there without Dollywood? Personally, I like the Johnson City area best in E.Tennessee. In fact the Johnson City area is one of my favorite areas anywhere.
Funny! Cuz in 1983 or 84 (?) I took my kids on a vacation and we drove thru Pigeon Forge, it was pretty much just a four way stop with a few buildings!

CKC1586":2vosfe3u said:
ga. prime":2vosfe3u said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":2vosfe3u said:
Funny! Cuz in 1983 or 84 (?) I took my kids on a vacation and we drove thru Pigeon Forge, it was pretty much just a four way stop with a few buildings!
Now it's a six lane asphalt jungle as far as the eye can see lined with 5 or 6 copies of each and every kind of fast food restaurant there is plus an astonishingly large assortment of touristy come ons. You can't even see the mountains from there. Pigeon Forge could be in Indiana and you wouldn't know the difference.

Now, admit that I'm telling it right SigmaShooter. :wave:

ga. prime":2encm5x0 said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":2encm5x0 said:

I like the jc elizabethton area to. Pigeon forge was there before dolly wood so I reckon it would still be there just not on as large a scale. As far as pigeon forge you are telling it right. My kids like it there cuz they can ride the go carts and stuff. I myself prefer Gatlinburg, exploring the mountains like Clingmans Dome, the abundance of wildlife is cool. I went hiking up there a couple years ago and it was awesome. Watch out for bears though if you go hiking. I saw several. I also like going to the muscle car museum and bass pro in sevierville.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":38gsrfum said:
ga. prime":38gsrfum said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":38gsrfum said:

I like the jc elizabethton area to. Pigeon forge was there before dolly wood so I reckon it would still be there just not on as large a scale. As far as pigeon forge you are telling it right. My kids like it there cuz they can ride the go carts and stuff. I myself prefer Gatlinburg, exploring the mountains like Clingmans Dome, the abundance of wildlife is cool. I went hiking up there a couple years ago and it was awesome. Watch out for bears though if you go hiking. I saw several. I also like going to the muscle car museum and bass pro in sevierville.
True, Pigeon Forge and Dollywood was made for kids and it's a great place to take them. We went up there a few summers ago when my kids were small and they loved it. I said then if we ever went back we'd be staying in Gatlinburg. We also drove up on Klingman's Dome during that trip- nice and cool up there even during the hottest part of the summer!

Latest posts