Music in the barn

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I know some of you are just clowning around on another post, but I 'm jumping topics so thought it best to start a new one.

I don't know how to set up a poll, but how many of you leave the radio on in the barn to settle your cows or horses? I do. it's on all the time in the horse barn and when I have a cow or calves in the barn I leave one on. My uncle did it when I was a kid in his milking barn. I've been to sevaral horse barns who do it, and can think only of one other cow barn.

Thanks,
Alan

We have done it in the past with our show cattle but we don't do it anymore. There seems to be enough commotion around our house that they don't need it.

I also leave a radio on when I've got show calves in the barn. I get them used to country, and then turn on classic rock! Once they've graduated from THAT, they're ready for Ft. Worth!

I have a barn radio by run-in stall for my bull. I change the station every few weeks to give him a variety.

cowboy13":278wow9c said:
My calves are crazy about Eminem and 50 Cent

Read about a study done with dairy cattle regarding music.

The conclusion was that classical music increased milking.
Rock, swing, blues, were second.
Country was neither negative nor positive.
Rap decreased milk production.

cherokeeruby":uuesg33u said:
cowboy13":uuesg33u said:
My calves are crazy about Eminem and 50 Cent

Read about a study done with dairy cattle regarding music.

The conclusion was that classical music increased milking.
Rock, swing, blues, were second.
Country was neither negative nor positive.
Rap decreased milk production.

Most of the dairys around here play some kind of music while they're milking. One herd doesn't play music or talk above a whisper any time the cows are in the barn. I've never seen such a bunch of jumpy cows in my life.

dun

At my grandparent's place they used to always leave a radio on one of the am, talk radio stations....said it helped the show calves become more familiar around a continuous human voice, and it kept racoons, coyotes and other unwanted animals out of the barn, for the most part.

I had a radio in my barn, but I didn't put it high enough. One day when I went to feed,I found it on the ground with a pile of sh..t on it, and shorted out. I took it that the horses didn't care for it to much, so I didn't put one back. Of course I already found the dip stick of my tractor bent up on the ground, so there isn't much they wont get into.

Latest posts