Musgrave Aviator

Help Support CattleToday:

VaCowman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 15, 2018
Messages
306
Reaction score
30
Does anyone have any experience with this bull, offspring results, pictures? Ran across him and considering placing him on short list. Thanks in advance! :tiphat:
 

sim.-ang.king

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
5,730
Reaction score
557
Location
Southern IL
Here's their latest sale catalog, and videos for their 3/17 sale that has a few out of aviator.

https://www.dvauction.com/video_catalogs/3636
http://www.angusjournal.com/salebooks/musgrave031718api/#page/1

I have seen a few in person, but never had any myself. Could tell you more after their sale.
 

Midtenn

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 25, 2016
Messages
253
Reaction score
0
VaCowman said:
Does anyone have any experience with this bull, offspring results, pictures? Ran across him and considering placing him on short list. Thanks in advance! :tiphat:
One bull calf from a first calf heifer. Looking very well at 4 months. Have not pulled DNA yet and looking forward to see how his numbers come out
 
OP
V

VaCowman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 15, 2018
Messages
306
Reaction score
30
Thanks, I'd be curious to see what your DNA results tell you. I just can't find anything to make me turn away from the bull. Probably looking to pull the trigger on a few canes this spring unless I come up with some reason not to relatively soon!
 

Midtenn

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 25, 2016
Messages
253
Reaction score
0
Let me clarify this. I would only use aviator on heifers, not cows. And I'd only retain heifers out of him if they were out of larger frame heifers. I don't like using negative bw bulls on cows. But we will see how this bull calf comes out. Probably will be marketing him as a heifer bull depending on how numbers look.
 

Dixie2542

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 19, 2017
Messages
170
Reaction score
14
Location
Southeast US
sim.-ang.king said:
I have seen a few in person, but never had any myself. Could tell you more after their sale.

yes please do let us know because I was also thinking of using him later this year.. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 
OP
V

VaCowman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 15, 2018
Messages
306
Reaction score
30
Midtenn said:
Let me clarify this. I would only use aviator on heifers, not cows. And I'd only retain heifers out of him if they were out of larger frame heifers. I don't like using negative bw bulls on cows. But we will see how this bull calf comes out. Probably will be marketing him as a heifer bull depending on how numbers look.

How well did the Aviator calves shed off in the Spring? Were they slick haired or did he put some extra hair in the equation? I'm not overly concerned on his MW Epd. Pretty sure he would compliment some of my larger framed heifers in that regard. Thanks for your input.
 

Midtenn

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 25, 2016
Messages
253
Reaction score
0
VaCowman said:
Midtenn said:
Let me clarify this. I would only use aviator on heifers, not cows. And I'd only retain heifers out of him if they were out of larger frame heifers. I don't like using negative bw bulls on cows. But we will see how this bull calf comes out. Probably will be marketing him as a heifer bull depending on how numbers look.

How well did the Aviator calves shed off in the Spring? Were they slick haired or did he put some extra hair in the equation? I'm not overly concerned on his MW Epd. Pretty sure he would compliment some of my larger framed heifers in that regard. Thanks for your input.
Sorry can't answer that. I only used him on 3 heifers and only one took. Great looking calf but he's only 5 months and still got a heavy coat.
 

limftw

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 8, 2012
Messages
128
Reaction score
12
Location
Southwest Colorado
I've used 30+ straws of aviator over the past two years and loved the calving ease and phenotype. My only issue was they didn't PAP as well for the elevations we run at. The progeny in the dv auction sim-ang king linked are very similar to the results I had on lim-flex and limi heifers. They weren't super growthy but I didn't pull a single one of them and the daughters we did keep have been calving ahead of the pack with some really solid calves at their side.
 

Willow Springs

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
212
Reaction score
3
Location
North of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I went through the three Billings Montana area studs (Genex, Origen, World West) in the spring of 2016 and Aviator was easily the best bull for phenotype that I saw out of probably more than 100 Angus bulls. I used a cane in the spring of 2017 as that was the first year it was available to me in Canada and it was relatively expensive - I would've used much more if it was cheaper. Because of that I also used him on cows that I would use a son of - so basically the better cows. Calving ease was for real, though not extreme 75-85 lb calves from mature cows and they really grew well and had gave me the same shape that Aviator had himself. So at this point very pleased with the calves. The only negative that I saw was that they had a little poorer temperament than I am used to in my calves - nothing extreme but it was noticeable to me. And I did get a top son out of good older cow that I will be using this spring.
 

Latest posts

Top