Muscling ?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What is good and bad about double muscling in cattle? Is there a physical difference between the muscles of a regular cow and those of a double muscled cow? What type of muscling do you get when you cross a double muscled breed with a commercial cow? Can a double muscled bull be safly used on a commercial heifer or a dairy heifer? Thank you

[email protected]

Good: more pounds, tender beef. Bad: lower fertility in cows, more calving difficulty, little or no marbling and backfat so the beef is discounted in the commercial beef market. There are more muscle fibres in the individual muscle on double muscled breeds, not more muscles. I wouldn't use a double muscled bull on any heifer.

[email protected]

> What is good and bad about double
> muscling in cattle? Is there a
> physical difference between the
> muscles of a regular cow and those
> of a double muscled cow? What type
> of muscling do you get when you
> cross a double muscled breed with
> a commercial cow? Can a double
> muscled bull be safly used on a
> commercial heifer or a dairy
> heifer? Thank you Hi; Double Muscling is a very mis leading term - the gene at work is called Myostatin. I encourage you to visit the Piedmontese website to learn more about it <A HREF="http://www.clrc.on.ca/NAPA" TARGET="_blank">www.clrc.on.ca/NAPA</A> You get more beef per carcass from these cattle and brand name beef marketers are willing to pay a premium for them. Using a Piedmontese bull on commercial cows does not increase calving difficulty at all. If you would like more information email me at <A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A> Thanks.

[email protected]

Dunmovin, What kind of a creature would one of my decent registered Shorthorns calve if I used a Belgin-Blue Bull?

Color wise I doubt if it would be much different from a normal Shorthorn.

Your thoughts?

Eaglewerks

[email protected]

Half bloods don't seem to be as Arnold Schwarzinager butted as full bloods. Most of the BB I've been associated with have been roan so you would end up with a bigger butted maybe roan shorthorn. Probably black roan (blue). Bodywise I think maybe it would look like a heavily muscled limousin. Never seen it done so don't know for sure, just guessing.

dunmovin farms

> Dunmovin, What kind of a creature
> would one of my decent registered
> Shorthorns calve if I used a
> Belgin-Blue Bull?

> Color wise I doubt if it would be
> much different from a normal
> Shorthorn.

> Your thoughts?

> Eaglewerks

> Hate to admit it but the steers would probably dress out OK. The locker that did our steer trial also had some BB cross (on herfords I seem to remember) carcasses hanging and they were as nice as anything else that was hanging although not as consistant as our murray's carcasses

[email protected]

We've used belgian bulls for a few years now. Colorwise --- think of every possible pattern, color, and color combination possible. It will be one of those?

Rick

[email protected]

Latest posts