Muscled Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Someone was asking about her when I posted the pictures of some of the other replacements. Well, we do still have her, and I still can't get a picture that does her justice. But, anyways, her she is.

DSC00464.jpg

DSC00461.jpg

DSC00459.jpg

absolutely not even close to double muscled

First I am NOT throwing off on your heifer. I was just wondering why she looks like her front legs are way shorter than her rear ones? Her hind end sticks up higher. Is it just the ground and the way she is standing or is that her actual stance. If it is her stance is it genetic? If so what breed is most likely the cause? I have a good reason for asking.

spoon":a8e3x679 said:
First I am NOT throwing off on your heifer. I was just wondering why she looks like her front legs are way shorter than her rear ones? Her hind end sticks up higher. Is it just the ground and the way she is standing or is that her actual stance. If it is her stance is it genetic? If so what breed is most likely the cause? I have a good reason for asking.

Well, she is hip high right now. It is the stage of growth she is at. BUT, part of the way she looks is because of the ground. So far as I know it is not genetic. Her mother is a Red Angus x Hereford cow. She is supposed to be out of a registered Black Angus bull, although I have my doubts on the sire. Here is her dam

DSC00380.jpg

And her maternal sister

DSC00379.jpg

I like her more than her sister. She sure looks thick and growthy to me. I like em like that. Sure does throw some people when they try and guess their weight. Based on the fence line in the background, it looks like you got your camera tilted a little. Maybe a little high ended but like you say, she should grow out of most of that. Of course, you could cull her to my place since I'm always in the market for culls like that. ;-) :D

Jogeephus":38yaha94 said:
I like her more than her sister. She sure looks thick and growthy to me. I like em like that. Sure does throw some people when they try and guess their weight. Based on the fence line in the background, it looks like you got your camera tilted a little. Maybe a little high ended but like you say, she should grow out of most of that. Of course, you could cull her to my place since I'm always in the market for culls like that. ;-) :D

She is definitely more muscled than her sister. Her sister has more more than the average cow in the herd though. The sister is rising 3 years in that picture. Raised a 600 lb calf, and has been grazing out up til 10 days ago or so.

She was actually lighter than I thought she would be, but that could be because I was guessing high.

I think we will keep her and see how she performs. The biggest problem I see with her is that she has a very 'tight' stride. She almost waddles.

randiliana":x45etsdo said:
Jogeephus":x45etsdo said:

She is definitely more muscled than her sister. Her sister has more more than the average cow in the herd though. The sister is rising 3 years in that picture. Raised a 600 lb calf, and has been grazing out up til 10 days ago or so.

She was actually lighter than I thought she would be, but that could be because I was guessing high.

I think we will keep her and see how she performs. The biggest problem I see with her is that she has a very 'tight' stride. She almost waddles.

Wasn't knocking her. I kinda guessed she had had a calf cause my first calfers have the same look sometimes. Just like the other one better. I like the frame better and I like the meat she's carrying on her rear section. Nice calf.

Jogeephus":25lxpo50 said:
Wasn't knocking her. I kinda guessed she had had a calf cause my first calfers have the same look sometimes. Just like the other one better. I like the frame better and I like the meat she's carrying on her rear section. Nice calf.

Don't worry, I didn't think you were knocking her. I was just explaining.

Thanks for the explanation. They're all good looking animals to me but that's not worth much in itself. :lol:

Latest posts