Murrays projects 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

So the bred heifer finally sold after a big mix up. I told em, preg her, THEN sell her.
They sold her, pregged her and the guy didn't want her. Exactly what I wanted to avoid. She sat there a whole week to sell the next week. Surprisingly they didn't charge me to feed her and she didn't lose much weight.
Anyway, at least that's done!
She didn't bring much less than what she sold for as open.

So I picked up this lil gal. Thought I posted pictures but I guess not. She weighed 375 and gave far less than buck a pound. Really didn't need her, but here we are. Guess I'll set a butcher date for late next year. Shes keeping Dumbo and Opal company for now. After quarantine for a while.
20211107_071145.jpg20211107_071206.jpg
O yeah, apparently she's never seen a hot wire a day in her life. She knows what it is now. What it is, man. What it is....

Yeah. I was on the other side of the yard when I saw it.
I think I've got it figured out tho. Shes very food motivated. (Read Fat Pig!)
I start my feed on the side she's on now. Ending with the lil ones. Worked pretty good tonight.

I agree! A big Gallagher sized mallet would've made me smile...

And lil Sugar. Bless her heart.
Every time I see her off grazing I think "who's calf is that?"
🤣 and she's already raised one!!
Snow is a bit taller and has the white on top of her head. I hope those two bred back to Richard! That'll be just fine...
20211121_101756.jpg
And there's the 2 competitors btw.
I think Richard's is out growing Big Sexy's...

Last edited:
I'd love to see that big brown heifer in action - and immediately put a stop to it. Good way to lose a perfectly healthy calf or cow if they can't get out & end up on their back.
Grandpa lost a steer like that 20+ years ago. To this day, still does not use the round bottomed feed bunks even tho wat he used was much larger, looked like sumone cut a barrel in half.

Red cow doing a pretty good job, i agree.🐂

Grandpa lost a steer like that 20+ years ago. To this day, still does not use the round bottomed feed bunks even tho wat he used was much larger, looked like sumone cut a barrel in half.

Red cow doing a pretty good job, i agree.🐂
I've had 2 close calls and fortunately showed up in time to see a bred heifer, flat on her back & flailing. Second time was a weaned steer & I saw him get pummeled by another steer & end up on his back. Yet another reason I love the winch on the Polaris because I was able to flip the bunks over.

Steer, bull, heifer? Name? But already eating starter and a nice, healthy poo.
Ope! This one is a heifer.
I let a blonde bull calf go by. He brought a little more but not a lot.

Yep! She been off mama a while It appears.
Poor gal gained 15 pounds when I gave her water. She took about half a 5 gallon bucket. Went right to the feed too.

No name yet! But she seems pretty sweet so far. Doesn't run around like an idiot. Pretty calm...

Dumbo from the top of the last page. I think his rate of gain is about a pound a week...
This is the one I couldn't get to take milk, no way no how.
Still going tho!
His winter coat is much much darker. He was brown.
20220117_170210.jpg
Here's lil Sweet Pea. She's not as sweet as originally thought. Pretty bashful and skittish now. Maybe I'll hang a halter on her and work with her.
20220117_165641.jpg

Sweet Pea went out with the others on the south acre. She's eating feed and hay and seems trouble free.

The 2 one n dones...
Think it's time to get red off her mama!
20220220_144510.jpg
B4.... August 28th
Screenshot_20220220-151630_Gallery.jpg
Blues hereford lookin heifer is similar.
Newest pic of her is 2 months ago.
Far left
Screenshot_20220220-152203_Gallery.jpg
And blue
Screenshot_20220220-152215_Gallery.jpg
Blue b4. Again, August 28th
Screenshot_20220220-151913_Gallery.jpg
Blue was mouthed 8yrs
Red 4yrs
So do I get another calf outta them or stick to the one n done plan?
They're bred hereford and I'd expect hereford looking calves out of both. Rather have black baldies
At this point, I'd expect the calves to bring very very close to what I gave for the pairs.

Latest posts